Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch adjust

Views : 2083

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 17:12   #1
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Default Clutch adjust

Techie question here. Adjusting clutch travel on a 1990 340 1.4.

The Heinz manual says to adjust top of clutch pedal to carpet to measure A (A = 150 + 10mm).

Why is this measurement presented like this? Why not 160mm? I initially thought the small measurement varied according to thickness of carpet, but 10mm for a carpet seems excessive.

Next question, also related. Having difficulty selecting reverse and gears 1-2. Reverse seems blocked by the syncromesh (i.e you have to force it past gears that will rasp at you). 1-2 seem a bit stubborn to engage. Seems to improve as it wamrs up. Oil level is okay, but original oil in box.

Are these related? Any ideas gratefully received.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 19:57   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post

The Heinz manual says to adjust top of clutch pedal to carpet to measure A (A = 150 + 10mm).

Why is this measurement presented like this? Why not 160mm? I initially thought the small measurement varied according to thickness of carpet, but 10mm for a carpet seems excessive.

Next question, also related. Having difficulty selecting reverse and gears 1-2. Reverse seems blocked by the syncromesh (i.e you have to force it past gears that will rasp at you). 1-2 seem a bit stubborn to engage. Seems to improve as it wamrs up. Oil level is okay, but original oil in box.

The old oil probably isn't helping the gear changes.
In mine like you say you have to force it into reverse and the gears grind, to stop this I discovered if I put it into 2nd then into reverse it goes in perfectly fine.
Hopefully it works on yours.
1st and 2nd gear are also a bit hard to engage sometimes on mine but fine when warmed up, I now cycle through all the gears a few times before starting it up from cold and this seems to help it a bit...

As for the clutch umm not a clue about clutches.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 21:42   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post

the clutch adjustment isnt really critical on the 300 , as long as you can lift the pedal a bit , ie some play when you pull the pedal up ..
Your gear problem is clutch drag probably the clutch plate sticking on it's splines ..
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 23:07   #4
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
the clutch adjustment isnt really critical on the 300 , as long as you can lift the pedal a bit , ie some play when you pull the pedal up ..
Your gear problem is clutch drag probably the clutch plate sticking on it's splines ..
Can you lubricate it easily without pulling everything apart?
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 23:16   #5
stephend
Premier Member

In the past when I had clutch drag, I was told it was new clutch time.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 18:18   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

It's pretty easy to take the clutch out on a 340 it will need inspecting , The splines will need cleaning and lubricating with a volvo grease for this purpose . Make sure the clutch driven plate slides freely on the splines . You might like to fit a new clutch whilst it is out dending on what you find . Volvo dont do clutches anymore so you will have to search around , there are a lot of 190mm clutches around which work but dont have a very positive action but volvo used the 200 mm clutch .