Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing roof rack bars.

Views : 1775

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 18:38   #1
wsm
Hello.

Default Removing roof rack bars.

Could anyone point me in the direction of how to remove the roof rails on my V40 2003? I'm guessing you should be able to just unscrew them, but should I have some blanking caps to go where they attached?

Cheers!
...took the '1.8i' badge off the back of my V40 Sport in the hope that people think there's secretly a massive turbo hidden under the bonnet and i'm driving slow because really, you're not worth the fuel

Last edited by wsm; Mar 13th, 2011 at 18:41.
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 18:45   #2
phil_r

Take it you mean the bars going front to back? If so your right, theres 1 bolt in each corner. You'll need a 10mm spanner/ socket to get them off. If your carefully when removing the plastic covers you won't break the clips, this is a right pain to do...... Then as you say you need 4 of the plastic blank caps which you will have 1 on each side in the middle of the car which are identical to what you need. Try to find a breakers yard with a v40 or go to a main dealer to get them.

Cheers
Phil
phil_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 18:49   #3
wsm
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_r View Post
Take it you mean the bars going front to back? If so your right, theres 1 bolt in each corner. You'll need a 10mm spanner/ socket to get them off. If your carefully when removing the plastic covers you won't break the clips, this is a right pain to do...... Then as you say you need 4 of the plastic blank caps which you will have 1 on each side in the middle of the car which are identical to what you need. Try to find a breakers yard with a v40 or go to a main dealer to get them.

Cheers
Phil
Yep that's them, can't help but think my V40 Sport would look better without them (and I have no use for them)! Can't imagine Volvo would charge a lot for 4 plastic blankers, so will go ask them.
Probably be 2 V40 roof rails for sale on here shortly!

Cheers!

ps. Anyone know a site online that would carry the blanking caps?
...took the '1.8i' badge off the back of my V40 Sport in the hope that people think there's secretly a massive turbo hidden under the bonnet and i'm driving slow because really, you're not worth the fuel

Last edited by wsm; Mar 13th, 2011 at 19:04.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 19:21   #4
Mazzaroos

I've just fitted some non-roof rail bars to my V40 and I've also kept (what I think are) the blankers. (Do you mean the little circular plastic discs that twist over the holes on the rail mounts?) If so then I don't mind sending them out to you.
Also, would you be selling on those roof rails?
Mazzaroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 09:50   #5
wsm
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzaroos View Post
I've just fitted some non-roof rail bars to my V40 and I've also kept (what I think are) the blankers. (Do you mean the little circular plastic discs that twist over the holes on the rail mounts?) If so then I don't mind sending them out to you.
Also, would you be selling on those roof rails?
Just spoke to a Volvo dealer and they said i'd have to buy the entire strips for each side, which do come with the blanking caps but they're £68 each + vat, which is definitely not what i'm going to pay.

So if you could post them me, i'd be very grateful! And yeah, if i can get them off and it looks ok, i'll def be selling the bars!
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:48   #6
Mazzaroos

Ouch! Well I can send them out to you no problem. I'm not up to 30 posts yet so if you could pm me your email address then I can get your postal address and have them sent out.

How much would you want for the bars?
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 19:34   #7
wsm
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzaroos View Post
Ouch! Well I can send them out to you no problem. I'm not up to 30 posts yet so if you could pm me your email address then I can get your postal address and have them sent out.

How much would you want for the bars?
I've PMd you my address, cheers for this, taking these bars off is something i've though about since I got the car but never got around to doing it.
From what i've seen on Ebay these roof rails go for about £150, but as you're sending me these caps I'll do you them for £130 posted if you're interested. They're in mint condition.
Been wanting to get the side skirts painted body colour for a while, been quoted £125 so selling these would pay for that!

Just got to get them off now!
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 01:33   #8
Mazzaroos

Hi WSM, cheers for the pm. I'll send them out tomorrow via first class. As for the roof bars I'm going to have to respectfully decline. My exhaust manifold gasket has just blown so my funds are going towards fixing that
If only I'd won £6000 on that scratchcard earlier...
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 08:32   #9
D5driver
No Spam here

Are you sure you want to take them off? My old 40 looked very strange without them.
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote