Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My new T8 - Jekyll & Hyde

Views : 966

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 07:47   #1
lotusdmc

Default My new T8 - Jekyll & Hyde

My New T8 finally arrived yesterday. My Daily commute is 22 miles so I was hoping (from what I’ve read unlikely) to undertake my commute petrol free as I can charge at home and at work.

So….the journey home yesterday, in power mode, averaged 14.4mpg !!

Fully charged this morning and preconditioned, I set off in Pure mode and I managed to get in using less than 0.1 gal averaging 479mpg ! Most surprising was the amount of energy regenerated. The ICE only cut in once on two large long hills when the electric motor ran out of puff trying to keep it at 55pmph

Proof if needed attached & obligatory first ‘fill up’ picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Journal.jpg (54.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Charging.jpg (206.2 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by lotusdmc; Oct 3rd, 2017 at 07:48. Reason: missing word
lotusdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lotusdmc For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 08:09   #2
andyfromembsay

I've been pleasantly surprised by how much regeneration is done driving fairly normally - much better than in my Outlander PHEV. I guess that's a measure of how fast the technology is developing.

I drove down from home to where I spend a couple of days a week yesterday and averaged 34.6mph over a 160m journey, much of which was at 75mph - I used 4.5 gallons of petrol according to VoC which is about £24-worth. As my company (apparently) pays me 44p a mile then each return trip gives me a "profit" of about £80. I know I'm paying for and insuring the car etc, but it all helps!

Although having arrived and parked my car next to our charging posts at work, I got out my brand new cable and realised I've bought a Type 1 so no charging for me until Amazon Prime do the biz and send me another tomorrow!

I enjoyed PA2 on the motorway, though like others I felt it was a little far left for comfort at times - and it was brilliant in the inevitable crawl through the roadworks round J17 on the M6 - far more relaxing.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 10:44   #3
aab203

Nice! I hadn't realised the app tells you how much was regenerated (I've always been wondering!).

Does your app tell you charge level etc? I haven't got the latest software yet but I'm still (a year on) unable to get any info on the battery / charging progress in the VoC app.

I know from previous threads that pre-conditioning is good for warming up the ICE engine, but are there any benefits for the T8 in this area if you are going to be driving on the battery? Or is it more to get the cabin warm?
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 11:14   #4
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdmc View Post
My New T8 finally arrived yesterday. My Daily commute is 22 miles so I was hoping (from what I’ve read unlikely) to undertake my commute petrol free as I can charge at home and at work.

So….the journey home yesterday, in power mode, averaged 14.4mpg !!

Fully charged this morning and preconditioned, I set off in Pure mode and I managed to get in using less than 0.1 gal averaging 479mpg ! Most surprising was the amount of energy regenerated. The ICE only cut in once on two large long hills when the electric motor ran out of puff trying to keep it at 55pmph

Proof if needed attached & obligatory first ‘fill up’ picture
Love driving on the battery - feels like you're just wafting along. I've tweaked my journey to the office to avoid a dual carriageway and can get there and back easily on a single charge now, without using the ICE at all or adding much to the journey time.

You might want to check the units being displayed though - I think an average home uses 4000 kWh of electricity in a year! I checked my journal and it showed my journey this morning (7.7 miles) used 2.3 kWh and regenerated 0.3.
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 12:18   #5
lotusdmc

Ah yes if it was generating 1200kwh I'd charge the house from the car !, to be fair I have the app on windows laptop, so let's blame that for now...

The preconditioning warmed the cabin up nicely, it was 9 degrees. I think the benefit on the T8 is you are not using the ICE or battery to warm a cold car. When I got in it this morning it displayed a pure mode range of 25 miles.

Interestingly the journey home was 98mpg, mainly as the battery was not fully charged as it was on a 13amp socket as opposed to a pod point. It seemed to take an age on that compares to the pod point.

With regards to the VOC app it's a bit hit and miss, last night the android version told me how much was in the battery and anticipated time of full charge. This morning the information (Windows app) was all over the place, it started off showing it fully charged then half then 1/3 before it started to rise again, so not sure if it's the app or podpoint ?
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 12:25   #6
andyfromembsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post

You might want to check the units being displayed though - I think an average home uses 4000 kWh of electricity in a year! I checked my journal and it showed my journey this morning (7.7 miles) used 2.3 kWh and regenerated 0.3.
2.3kWh costs about 25p on a typical tariff, so 3.2p per mile. Bargain!
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 12:36   #7
Milliner

Yes, mine takes a good few hours to charge, even at the highest amp setting. I don't have a charge point at home or the office currently, but am thinking about getting one installed at the latter.

To be fair, I really enjoy my T8, it's a great choice, but one thing letting the side down for Volvo is their software. Everything generally works, but it can be a little flaky at times.

My app doesn't display the battery charge level at all! That said, I am on the last gen Sensus and it should be updated at the next service.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 12:50   #8
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromembsay View Post
2.3kWh costs about 25p on a typical tariff, so 3.2p per mile. Bargain!
Definitely. But it's a nice easy route: 30/40mph limits, no hills to speak of and without too much stopping and starting...
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 14:41   #9
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdmc View Post
...obligatory first ‘fill up’ picture
Finally, another person with the 22" accessory wheels! I think you and I might be the only two people in the country with them, I've never seen another until now.

How ridiculous is it that you have to keep the old wheels, still have mine for sale. Taking a while to get them flogged.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 00:41   #10
lotusdmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
Finally, another person with the 22" accessory wheels! I think you and I might be the only two people in the country with them, I've never seen another until now.

How ridiculous is it that you have to keep the old wheels, still have mine for sale. Taking a while to get them flogged.
With the pro pack they are an option not an accessory, although the locking wheel nut and caps were left in the center console !? And just to add I think the ride is fine !