Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 86899

Replies : 469

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2019, 21:52   #91
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
hopefully at no charge
Really - I'm not going to be that lucky,am I.

I may have to give my regular mechanic a call as I'm working for the next 3 weeks, then off on holiday in it. I can't easily get it to a dealer until early September.

Thank you for the advice Clan.
DTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 21:56   #92
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
Really - I'm not going to be that lucky,am I.

I may have to give my regular mechanic a call as I'm working for the next 3 weeks, then off on holiday in it. I can't easily get it to a dealer until early September.

Thank you for the advice Clan.
You are strongly advised to do what it says on your pre recall letter .. If you neglect it you could end up buying a new particle filter you wont get any help from volvo then for sure . £1000 ++
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 08:00   #93
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
I have spoken to my dealer as my warning light was on last week. There is a letter going out for my car and it's now booked in for a check next Wednesday.

I'll report back.
I spoke with my dealer last week to book the 5yr service in for later in Aug: they were aware of the letter but had zero information about anything to do about it yet! What are yours checking?
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 09:55   #94
DTaylor

Booked in for Tuesday morning to have it looked over. Have a 1 hour while you wait slot. If they discover anything interesting I'll post it back on here.
The Following User Says Thank You to DTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 11:36   #95
kalcock

Our xc60 has been in already for this recall , and has had to go back in as oil was leaking into no 2 cylinder .
They have had to remove the timing belt , but I thought once it had been removed a new one has to be used , you cannot replace the old one , but Volvo know we don't want the old one putting back on and have said we have to pay for a new one , am I wrong in thinking this should be covered as part of the recall
kalcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 11:51   #96
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalcock View Post
Our xc60 has been in already for this recall , and has had to go back in as oil was leaking into no 2 cylinder .
They have had to remove the timing belt , but I thought once it had been removed a new one has to be used , you cannot replace the old one , but Volvo know we don't want the old one putting back on and have said we have to pay for a new one , am I wrong in thinking this should be covered as part of the recall
which recall ? volvo warranty would only pay for a belt if it was contaminated with oil from an oil leak , not because it had to be taken off to access something else . I guess it is only fair you pay for one if you want it changed whilst it is off because you get benefit from it .
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 12:19   #97
Zebster
Upstanding Member

It seems a little unfair if it really had to be replaced due to recall rectification work. However, principles aside, the belt itself must only cost a few quid and presumably in these circumstances the labour would not have been charged to you?
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 20:08   #98
DTaylor

OK, I took my 2015 V60 in this morning, with no faults, messages or engine warning lights on at all, car running OK.
They came back 20 minutes later to tell me the car had 3 warning messages all relating to the issue and needed to be repaired. Got it back at 4.30 tonight.

I don't have any invoice or printout etc, but this is what I was told verbally about the fault.

The warning messages related to a low pressure on the fuel system, potentially caused by leakage. They have replaced my inlet manifold. They said they would then do another test and check, if it fails they would then also replace the injectors. It did not fail, so I have just had the manifold only replaced.

They also carried out a software update.

This is the bit I'm not 100% on, maybe Clan can comment. I know some cars use copper washers to form the seal, and these can start to leak. I know people that would routinely replace the copper washers every 3 years on their diesels. 20p for washer and several hours to do. Would it be a good guess that the seal between the injectors and manifold becomes poor, and leaks hence the potential fire risk.

Also I'm not sure what the software update was for, the car seems really smooth apart from a couple of hiccups when I started home (air in system?) I'm guessing if the 3 warnings and low fuel pressure don't bring an engine management light on, the update may do this in case they start to leak again.

Hope I'm not talking too much waffle, and someone better informed than me can sift through this and make some sense of it.

Last edited by DTaylor; Jul 30th, 2019 at 20:10.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 16:42   #99
games133

yes some cars use copper washers as a seal ford fiesta van not sure of year leak all the tile and you get a build up ofblck crap that makes the seal leak more. as you can guess gets worse ive cleaned a few of theses. ive worked on nissans that have the same type of seal ond old volvos 19.td old renult engine. weather the seal leaking would cause a fire maybe hot gases comeing out the head and plastic mainifold maybe be quite possible yes.

im going take my car in soon and see what they say
games133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to games133 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 20:21   #100
DTaylor

My car had 3 warnings that never triggered the check engine warning. Therefore I guess people could be driving around with a fuel leak and not realise. Given the car monitors the fuel pressure, I'm guessing that the update will now trigger a check engine warning next time so I will know there is a problem. Would be nice to know.

It is a work colleague that had a ford that used copper washers to form the seal, but I have no idea what, if anything, Volvo use.

I am pleased it was done, and the dealership were great. I did get to see the printout with the faults listed, but not given anything, but there again Volvo paid for the repairs not me.

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4