Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 86949

Replies : 469

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 11:32   #71
D4dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
OK...spoken to Volvo and car has failed the pressure test...

Does anyone know if Volvo contribute to these repairs?
Volvo paid 95% of my £4000 bill for inlet valves, manifold and cooler which seems pretty standard as far as addressing the symptoms but not the cure. Only after rthreatening legal action, sending their emailed 2016 permanent fix promise and taking photos of the gunge blockage at the dealership
D4dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 11:40   #72
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4dilemma View Post
The exact same situation as mine. Hesitation indicating blockage has become so bad the inlet valves are no longer sealing properly. By that time inlet manifold is bunged up and probably the failed EGR cooler solution too.....Presumably a minority of unlucky ones for some reason get the manifold melting and a fire first hence the Safety Recall so Volvo can absolve themselves of any offence in that direction. There are no improved parts and the inherent problem will continue.
Other posts seem to say 2017 cars onwards are not badly affected although the notice goes up to 2019. . Note though it has taken a few years and a lot of mileage for the above issues to develop, after the initial failed “permanent fix” which appeared to mask the problem by keeping the EGR valve itself fairly clear. Allowing the problem to build up elsewhere so is it definite later cars are not affected or just wishful thinking.....
The EGR valve itself is not the problem it is the cooler which has caused the main problems , turning the gasses through 180 degrees via a solid wall causes the soot particles to come out of the gastream and stick to the end wall half way through the cooler . initially its heating coolant did not circulate until the thermostat opened , so you got condensation in there too which helped the soot particles stick . The hose mod cured that by feeding hot coolant around the cooler almost immediately .

The 5 cylinder had a straight pathway through the cooler so the soot particles went straight through with no problem . Renault have a similar problem with a compact egr cooler !
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 12:44   #73
SeaShell

The recall is now on the Sky News Website.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 14:09   #74
Rex65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
The recall is now on the Sky News Website.
On ITV and BBC News too except that, as far as I am aware, there is still no actual "recall" ?
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 15:43   #75
Donnington123

Volvo has a separate website where you can enter your VIN and see if your vehicle is involved

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...rranty/recalls
Donnington123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 16:19   #76
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnington123 View Post
Volvo has a separate website where you can enter your VIN and see if your vehicle is involved

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...rranty/recalls
don't forget this will not work yet as the "recall " does not exist yet . just read the letter you get through the door if your car is applicable . Then you get another letter when the recall is live ..
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 16:21   #77
SeaShell

My car is involved and going to get substantial work done, however no details are returned when the VIN is entered on the web site.

I believe this is because it's not an official recall at this time.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 16:21   #78
SeaShell

Clan beat me to it!
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 09:42   #79
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No. the schedule has been changed in the last month , 90000 miles or 10 years which ever is first ..
This may sound like a stupid question then Clan.

My 2014 Volvo had its 108k service at the start of the year, initially they said it needed the belts done, but when the car was serviced no belts were done. So when it is booked in for its next service will the Volvo dealer realise it is past the 90k service interval and therefore look to be changing the timing belt? or will they happily just let it roll on to the 10 year service interval?
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 09:54   #80
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
This may sound like a stupid question then Clan.

My 2014 Volvo had its 108k service at the start of the year, initially they said it needed the belts done, but when the car was serviced no belts were done. So when it is booked in for its next service will the Volvo dealer realise it is past the 90k service interval and therefore look to be changing the timing belt? or will they happily just let it roll on to the 10 year service interval?
No not stupid at all .

Do you have the new 2.0 4 cylinder diesel VEA engine from 2014 onwards ? ?

If not the belts etc should have been done at 108000 miles ,

If you DO have the new engine they can sort it out next service as at the beginning of the year on your previous service the interval was still 144000 miles or ten years ..
I would write something in your service book to remind yourself ,and tell them when you book it in . Don't rely on them to remember . the service is recorded for every dealer to see but not the actual invoice which lists exactly what was done , only the dealer which did the work will have that of course.

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4