Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 Volvo V70 R FWD Manual - Manchester

Views : 2537

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2023, 15:22   #1
terika4e

Default 1998 Volvo V70 R FWD Manual - Manchester

Here’s some info on the car. Don’t hesitate to get in touch!

The V70 R followed on from the renowned 850 T5-R, as a truly practical performance estate car with a characterful and powerful engine. Under the bonnet is a 2. 3-litre turbocharged inline-five engine, producing 236bhp in stock form, coupled to a five-speed manual transmission, which is rare to see. The car is also FWD, unlike most models which have the notoriously unreliable AWD system.

This example was originally specified with some rare options, including the two seats in the boot, increasing its capacity to a seven-seat family car. Finished in Nautic Blue Pearl with grey leather and Alcantara interior, the car presents very well indeed, and is sporting its original 17-inch alloy wheels. The list of specified equipment includes heated front seats, aluminium trim to the centre console, dual-zone climate control, trip computer, blue-faced instrument dials, dog guard, integrated rear booster cushion, rear spoiler and electric sunroof.

The car is accompanied by the original handbooks, including a file full of service history and invoices dating back to the cars registration.
The exterior is in good condition. There are a few stone chips to the front end of the car and bonnet. There are scratches to some panels and to the lower front and rear bumper. There is a small rust spot on the boot and along the lower part of the nearside door. All four wheels are in good condition. The interior is in very good order for the age and mileage, with some minor peeling to the leather piping on the seats. The offside rear door handle trim is missing. The only electrical fault currently is that the cruise control is inoperative. New coil springs all round in 2021. The car received replacement track rod ends, suspension arms, axles bushes, roll-bar links and handbrake shoes in order to pass last MOT at 157,855 miles. The timing belt, auxiliary belt and water pump and coolant were also changed this April. The car has just had a service where it received new oil and oil, air and pollen filter.

The most recent MOT test was in January 2023 at 165,098 miles, where the car unfortunately failed. Please see the full MOT report for more information.

This is a car that needs to go to an enthusiast who'll address the things that need doing and building on its considerable strengths— it has the potential to be a really wonderful example.

£4,985 ONO

Pictures - https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link

Last edited by terika4e; Jan 28th, 2023 at 15:26.
terika4e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terika4e For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 23:20   #2
yoda960
Volvo 960

I think your post should include more info on the MOT fail sheet. This is very very strong money for an MOT failure car, especially given that it's rot. Can you elaborate on how bad the rot is?

These cars don't usually rust badly at all. Has it lived near the sea for some of it's life? Some photos of the underside might help...

It doesn't need to go to a general enthusiast, sounds like it needs to go to an enthusiast who can weld/fabricate, but I think it's unlikely they will want to pay anywhere near that kind of money...

Best of luck!
yoda960 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yoda960 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 21:52   #3
Turbodave
VOC Member

Sadly, I'd agree and whilst not wishing to turn this into a discussion on X, Y and Z... I've had quite a few T-5 / R models over the years but always had a thing for a Nautic Blue, FWD with manual box and tried to buy three different cars over the years but for various reasons, it never happened.

I've looked at this car a few times as it is in essence, ideal... and something I'd get rid of my current 850 T-5 and my barely used V50 diesel and consolidate in to one, ie a Nautic Blue, FWD, manual V70R.

But sadly yes, the MOT fail sheet doesn't make for good reading unfortunately with structural rot being the biggie, unless you can weld but I can't and so for that reason and the asking price, sadly "Ahm oot"

Shame as it really does look a nice, honest car but just needs to much time and money to be a viable option. Plus getting it 250 miles north would be costly on the back of a trailer or transporter.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 12:44   #4
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Direct link to MOT history is here

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk...ration=r848lsf

HTH
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 17:46   #5
yoda960
Volvo 960

Not sure the seller seems bothered about elaborating!
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 22:15   #6
terika4e

Hi all, apologies for the late reply!

Not great on the MOT front, but the tester had just been audited hence why it’s been so thorough!

Properly for the best though ey?

The car is currently in the garage having all the mechanical issues fixed, a service and then it’s off to the welders!

Will have a fresh MOT in the coming weeks.

Still for sale, feel free to ask any questions

Last edited by terika4e; Feb 8th, 2023 at 22:21.
terika4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 11:24   #7
yoda960
Volvo 960

Good stuff Maybe when it's having the welding done, go down and take some photos so the buyer knows it's a proper job, rather than 'MOT spec' welding. i.e. old rot all cut out, fresh metal welded in (and not patches welded over the top!)

Best of luck with the sale, looks like a nice car
The Following User Says Thank You to yoda960 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 20:01   #8
Alpine

if you want to be getting the best price for it then you need to be looking to get a clean MOT sheet, ie. no advisories. Not just a pass.
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 18:58   #9
Turbodave
VOC Member

I'm inclined to agree with the seller regarding the MOT... a lot P80 cars are getting a bit soft even though most of us seem blinded by the bollocks sprouted that they don't rot. They do and in places you don't want to find rot. So yes, rather it be addressed now and not when you hit a truck at 50mph and the rear seat and belt anchor points decide to let go.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 20:53   #10
brickman
Premier Member

Yup at this age, sills under the plastic covers are going and the absolute classic rear seat mount at tje point it was spot welded to wheel arch (under plastic cover). A slightly tricky repair due to curve nature of a wheel arch tub. Every p80 will have this by now unless it's lived a cherished life.