Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

so many faults

Views : 396

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2024, 18:24   #11
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
i suspect that is an old fault code from when my battery failed last year and i replaced it.
i did ask the mechanic of there are dates on the codes but he said he didn'tknow. seems daft to me to have all those codes with no dates on.
there s also a fault code relating to the tailgate. and that was an issue that the dealer fixed before i bought the car. so i would say definitely a bunch of old codes in that list.
I am hoping the only real-time issue is ABS(sensor) related and can easily be fixed.

Yeah, that could be old DTC's like you say. I had like 25 old DTC's when I bought the car :-) All, because of the bad battery that was changed earlier...

I believe VIDA scan could tell you the DTC dates...

But, what did you mean by "changed less than 1000 ago."?

1000 days or what?

Did you Reset the Battery Mgmt System (BMS) when you replaced the battery?

If you didn't you still can. You MUST not reset the BMS when the battery is old, but you can get away with it if the battery is only 1 year old.

If you need the reset BMS procedure I can send it...
hal9000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 18:58   #12
fordlover

sorry hal900f , that was my bad typing.
I changed the battery less than 1000 miles ago, but was 9months ago. It was actually the AA who changed it, on my drive. I had been in hospital for 3 weeks, when i got home my car was dead as a Dodo, so i got the AA to sort it out. i don't recall anything else being reset at the time. i am sure the engineer would have mentioned it if it needed doing or was done.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 20:18   #13
hal9000f

Quote:
sorry hal900f , that was my bad typing.
I changed the battery less than 1000 miles ago, but was 9months ago. It was actually the AA who changed it, on my drive. I had been in hospital for 3 weeks, when i got home my car was dead as a Dodo, so i got the AA to sort it out. i don't recall anything else being reset at the time. i am sure the engineer would have mentioned it if it needed doing or was done.

When you go to Hallmark Volvo, make sure they check if the BMS was reset when the new battery was installed... If not, they should reset it.

If not, your car will (mis)treat the new battery as if it was who knows how many years old...
hal9000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 18:09   #14
fordlover

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000f View Post
When you go to Hallmark Volvo, make sure they check if the BMS was reset when the new battery was installed... If not, they should reset it.

If not, your car will (mis)treat the new battery as if it was who knows how many years old...
i have already picked the car up before seeing this message, so i have no idea about the ''BMS''. I guess i will have to chase this up later. thanks for the heads-up (Y).
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 18:23   #15
fordlover

Default ABS fault found & fixed

Kev0607 was bang on, thank you Kev.
Hallmark Volvo certainly know what they are doing. no doubt about that, and they managed to squeeze my car in even though they were actually fully booked up and trying to clear all jobs by this evening, before closing for Easter weekend.
Their diagnostic scan revealed 2 ABS sensors to be faulty. Their prognosis was that the sensors get corroded in their mountings and 'swell up' which distorts them.
so both cleaned up, replaced and some 'anti-corrosion compound' applied to help hold off future corrosion.
I expect the other 2 ABS sensors will go the same way before long but at least i know what to expect and who to take it to to get them changed.
All previous fault codes were cleared so i now have a code-free motor. happy day. and happy easter everyone.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 20:29   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Kev0607 was bang on, thank you Kev.
Hallmark Volvo certainly know what they are doing. no doubt about that, and they managed to squeeze my car in even though they were actually fully booked up and trying to clear all jobs by this evening, before closing for Easter weekend.
Their diagnostic scan revealed 2 ABS sensors to be faulty. Their prognosis was that the sensors get corroded in their mountings and 'swell up' which distorts them.
so both cleaned up, replaced and some 'anti-corrosion compound' applied to help hold off future corrosion.
I expect the other 2 ABS sensors will go the same way before long but at least i know what to expect and who to take it to to get them changed.
All previous fault codes were cleared so i now have a code-free motor. happy day. and happy easter everyone.
Result! That garage is now your friend. You know where to go in future. Hallmark are great.

Glad the suggestion helped.