Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant level

Views : 1045

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2018, 11:41   #1
emy

Default Coolant level

I have watched the coolant level since I got the car (done around 20k since), never topped up, it just stays under the MIN.
There are no warnings whatsoever, also the temperature is normal.
Do I top up or just leave it?
Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180905_113049.jpg (73.1 KB, 21 views)
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 12:11   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emy View Post
it just stays under the MIN.
It says minimum for a reason so top it up to at least above minimum.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 12:39   #3
PNM

Assuming you have parked your car on the level, I would top that up.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 12:50   #4
emy

Thanks, both of you for quick replay.
Well, yes, I was thinking to top up, but no warnings at all? Strange!
The coolant is very clean and, yes, the effect must have a cause, which I do not know, everything is dry. 20k ago was at the same level, so is not losing coolant.
Maybe in time is a normal lose of it due to temperature? I do not know!
What coolant do I use for topping up? I found the same colour on Amazon, SILVERHOOK Concentrated Blue Antifreeze Coolant 1 Litre, it is OK?
Thank you.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 12:55   #5
PNM

These cars don't have a level warning as far as I'm aware - the first warning you will get is the temp gauge going into the red and a load of steam coming out! Then you'll be getting yourself a new head gasket!

It's difficult to recommend a coolant without knowing what was in there before. There are two main different types commonly used and they are not compatible with each other. I normally match the colour and never had any problems. Remember never to add neat concentrated coolant - you need to dilute it first.

I wouldn't be too concerned about losing a small amount over 20K miles - As long as there are no signs of coolant in the oil.

Last edited by PNM; Sep 5th, 2018 at 12:59.
The Following User Says Thank You to PNM For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 13:13   #6
emy

In regard to possible coolant in the oil, I have all ready for full service, normally I have an oil extractor, but this time I will let the oil out underneath of the car, I will be 100% sure that all the oil is out and, if there is water in it could be visible.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 13:17   #7
PNM

If there's coolant in the oil, you'll be able to tell by looking at the oil on the dipstick. If it looks like oil, you are OK. If it looks milky, you have a problem. But like I said earlier, I really wouldn't be concerned about having to top up once in 20K.

Do a google image search of coolant in oil, and then you'll know what you're looking for.
The Following User Says Thank You to PNM For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 13:33   #8
emy

Actually, I never have seen on my previous cars any stains of coolant in the oil.
I had Citroen ZX and it was oil in the coolant, not the other way around!
In this car, the oil looks clean.
I am on a late shift today, I noticed a car parts shop opposite the factory, I might pop in to see if there is any recommended coolant for topping up.
Prestone Coolant/Antifreeze ready to use seems to have a good review and it is recommended to be added to any car/colour (coolant).
It is pity that, whenever I have serviced the care, none of the mechanics said anything about the coolant level.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 09:50   #9
Bungo
Premier Member

With your DPF removed I hope it's terminal, one less selfish polluter on the road
Old Sep 8th, 2018, 11:36   #10
emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
With your DPF removed I hope it's terminal, one less selfish polluter on the road
This is the way I got it. It as a triangle cut at the bottom of it, so could be removed or could be a religion sign of previous owner(s).....it was imported from the UK with it removed Do not you want to be a "patriot" spending around 1k to put it back?
Around 250ml coolant topped up, left the level a bit higher than minim!
The car runs very well, not a drop of oil on it until some mechanics put their hands on it.
I still have the EGR on it, it does help to cut the pollution of the thousands of planes, buses, chemical factories, nuclear power stations (a lot of death fish as a result of it, all the waste goes into the water) and many more....nobody cares about pollution, just a few more sits paid by Government, they have to raise their voices time to time do not fall asleep...