Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 safety and other problems

Views : 1717

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2003, 08:26   #1
Iank

I recently purchaed a '04 S80 auto and I know that this may have been mentioned before on this forum, but there is a very serious safety problem with this car in that if one is approaching a round about, a give way or something similar and slows down and then one sees that there is a gap in the traffic and decides to accelerate in order to make the gap, nothing happens and car just rolls forward slowing down and consequently the approaching vehicle gains upon you very quickly, then suddenly the car takes off like a cat with its tail on fire. This is very disconcerting and frightens the living daylights out of me, never mind the driver of the other car who is probably cursing you for cutting him up. One dealer tells me that I must allow several thousand miles to accummalate for the problem to disappear. Another tells me that they have had complaints of this nature but they are waiting for a software update. Tough luck if a truck rams you in the meantime!
In addition I requested the added option of Park assist, rear with audio mute. Unfortunately the sensors don't work although the car has been back to two different dealers. Both have used the old excuse of they are waiting for updated software as they can't download the software for the audio mute.
Surely Volvo do not sell a car knowing that the park assist with not work if linked to the HU-801. Considering you pay £340 for the privilage of having the sensors fitted I find this very off putting.
The first attempt to rectify the problem was made by FRF Motors in Swansea and then Johnsons Motors in Worcester.
Except for the two issues above the car is a delight to drive. Also regarding the Park assist and the fact that the car has been off the road twice in the past two weeks and during my vacation time and has to go back for a third time next Friday, do you feel I would be justified in claiming compensation from Volvo?
Cheers,
Ian
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 11:41   #2
Mike Clift

Default RE: S80 safety and other problems

Ian

Perhaps the main thing to consider is whether the car is of "merchantable quality" and even safe to drive in view of the problems.

Saying there is no software is simply not an acceptable excuse.

I would return the car to the dealer that sold it and tell them you are rejecting it under the Sale of Goods Act as it is clearly not able to carry out the purposes for which it was purchased and is actually dangerous in the condition provided.

I appreciate that may not be what you want to do but use it as a starting point then during the negotiations see what compensation is on offer - assuming that you actually want to keep the car.

Remember, that your contract is with the garage that sold you the car and not with Volvo so you need to take the matter up with them.

Your position could be diminished however if you accepted from them a new vehicle when you aware of safety issues etc as it could be said rejection should have occured prior to delivery to you.

If the dealer has confirmed there to be a safety issue then tell him you are reporting it to Trading Standards - he is liable for selling you goods not of "merchantable quality" and TS will investigate.

If you go straight in asking for compensation then you are accepting liabilty for the defaults in the vehicle.

Good luck and report back.

Mike
V40 T4 SE AUTO
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 18:03   #3
Iank

Hi Mike,
Thanks very much for the advice. I will try the tack you have suggested and see what happens. I will report back on it.
Cheers,
Ian
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 22:45   #4
karlp

I had park assist fitted to my V70 (oldertype) and they told me that audio mute would not work with my system because of age. The audio mute was an add on package.

From what you have paid I do not think you have purchased the audio mute (check with the garage that they supplied the extra box).

Karl
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 09:52   #5
Iank

The park assist was supposed to be a factory fitted option but is actually fitted by the dealer. It took them 3 attempts not including the attempt when they first fitted the park assist before the problem was solved and this was only after using Mike's advice for which I thank him.
The acceleration problem was obviously a safety issue, however again on the third attemppt they managed to solve it. It was a software download which goes to show that Volvo were aware that there was an issue regarding the lag on a auto when accelerating and going through the kick down moltions.
I actually don't directly blame the dealer as they they only sell the cars however the onus is on them to rectify any factory problems. It absolutely amazing the response you get when you phone them and ask them to collect the car and refund your money under the Sales of Goods Act and also quote that you have been in touch with Tradiing Standards. What was annoying in response to a letter to Volvo head office was simply "Not our problem, contact Volvo UK". In turn Volvo UK respond with "Not our problem, contact the Volvo dealership where you bought the car".
I would like to know why we in the UK have only a 3 year guarantee but European customers have 5 years. Surely this is discrimination and affecting your statutory human rights.
Why is it that Volvo Europe have to screen the electronics in Volvo S80s in Europe because it may be hazardous to the health ( as per article on Volvo Club webpages) but in the Uk nothing happens. Is life cheaper in the UK than in Europe. Are we an expendable commodity?
Anyway besides all the moans I am happy with the car now and it drives like a dream.
Cheers,
Ian
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 18:22   #6
Mike Clift

Ian

At least it got sorted and you are now happy with the car.

That's all that matters.

Mike
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:14   #7
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I belive that for the audio mute to work you need the AEM (Accessory Electronic Module) fitted.

Paul
VOC S80 Register Keeper
Paul Wildsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:20   #8
Iank

Hi Paul,
The brochure states that the car is fitted with Park Assist audio mute so I should imagine that the module would be a standard fit as part of the package. It was just surprising that a Volvo fitted option did not want to accept the software that was being downloaded into it.
Cheers,
Ian
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 21:32   #9
George Holmer

If you buy a car for which software has to be downloaded for it to work, you'll have to live with Windows standards in terms of reliability.. at least that is my experience. These cars they are now making that probably have ten times more software and electronics than your average space shuttle in the 60's, they are full of problems. In Swedish, these are called "children's diseases", refering to those illnesses that your mother almost tried to infect you with so that you would not have to suffer them as an adult and once you've had them, they are gone for ever. Personally, I'd expect these truly hi-tech cars to work perfectly in ten to fifteen years... mind you, they keep sticking more and more electronics in them so who knows. Sorry if you feel that I am stealing your thread for a bit of a rant, my answer to your question is no.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/My%20car.JPG]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 120k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/M46; 143k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 200k)