Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pirelli tyres ?

Views : 5549

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 10:30   #21
pauljoz

I've found the Pirelli Scorpians OK. 17" wheels / standard size.

There nearly worn now to the TWI at 50,000 km of mainly inner urban driving.
Squeal at low speed when turning (once worn - improved with periodic rotation) but based on past experience, this is typical of early XC90's.
Have stood up well and good compromise.

Just back from a 500km round trip which included 80km on loose sand and dunes at 16psi! They survived even though we hit a few mallee roots.
pauljoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 23:43   #22
laundryman
The Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodick View Post
Well I will need to get new summer tyres on my xc60 when I take the winter tyres off next year looking at:

Michelin Latitude tour HP
or
Continental eco contact 5

Have not liked the Pirelli's Volvo put on the car from the beginning. Don't think I am alone either they are useless in anything other than wet roads.
grass, mud, ice, snow. forget it
Let me get this right. So what you are saying is that they are only cr*p on tarmac but great off road then? And which type of pirelli's were these please?
Pirelli make a vast range of tyres are they all bad? I used to slag flip-flops off but had them fitted to my 160mph motorcycle. Go figure!
What I have found with all tyres, not just pirelli's, that what matters big style is what pressure you run them at!
In my company car days (sigh!) I had a new set of Mitchelins fitted to my BMW520 and nearly crashed it. It was like driving on ice! A quick check with a tyre gauge brought the pressures down to a correct value and they were brilliant.
What I have learnt is that tyres are a very personal thing. a bit like underpants! All different types do the same job, but you know what you are comfortable with!
Vive la difference
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 23:48   #23
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
Let me get this right. So what you are saying is that they are only cr*p on tarmac but great off road then? And which type of pirelli's were these please?
I am prepared to stand corrected, although it is the opposite of what you post.

The Pirellis are crap off road (lethal in snow) and merely average on tarmac. That is my opinion, and I think the opinion of most.

Must admit though that whilst the wear rate is high on these P Zero Rossos, they are quite ok on normal dry tarmac. Must admit I have gone round a fair few bends in dry AND damp conditions carrying a fair amount of speed and all has been ok.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 23:58   #24
Premier Member

I agree totally with Volvorocks, the P Zero Rosso's are undoubtedly the worst tyre I have come across in years; their performance on warm dry tarmac is ok, but they are rubbish on anything else, and downright dangerous on snow or ice. Added to that, they are quite noisy at speed and the wear rate is terrible.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 00:10   #25
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60041 View Post
they are quite noisy at speed
....and yes I will second that as well!! Not too bad - but could be better.

Regards
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 00:16   #26
volvorocks
Rodney

Just also to say I have on order (or I did have until my credit card payment after being paid was refunded to me for some reason resulting in a cancelled order) some Nokian winter tyres. Once sorted I hope to be a driver on winter Nokians - seemingly the best winter tyres one can buy!!

Word of warning - do not drive any Volvo AWD (or probably any car for that matter) on Pirelli P Zeros in the snow - unless you are a fan of soiled underpants or lady thongs - whatever your choice..!!.........!!!!...or a fan of driving a car with absolutely no control on starting stopping or cornering....!!!

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Oct 29th, 2013 at 00:19. Reason: added thongs to please the feminists!
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 02:29   #27
AleXc90
XC90 R-Design Owner

I have to say I find this post a bit worrying.
I wrote off my car in 1994 due to some idiot pulling out on me on a motorway and me swerving to miss them and couldn't get the car back on straight and narrow, this was with Pirelli's mostly to do with my inexperience as I was fairly new to driving, but before this happened the tyres weren't the best grip in any moist or worse weather.
Now my 1 month new to me Volvo XC90 came with a full set of Pirelli Scorpian Zero's and I have to say I am little bit concerned about these tyres.
They are 19" Tyres I can't afford to just go out and buy a replacement set.
My Car is going to be the Major Car used in the Winter weather and I'm just a little bit wary of driving it now as I don't want to write off my new baby due to these Tyres.

Last edited by AleXc90; Oct 29th, 2013 at 02:50.
AleXc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 05:14   #28
Shadeyman
VOC Member

After reading Pirelli Scorpion Zero reveiws on different sites it seems they don't handle heavy vehicles too well, especially in wet or wintery conditions. An XC90 close to 3 tons when in use, judging by the reveiws I deffinately would put them on my 90.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 08:25   #29
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleXc90 View Post
I have to say I find this post a bit worrying.
I wrote off my car in 1994 due to some idiot pulling out on me on a motorway and me swerving to miss them and couldn't get the car back on straight and narrow, this was with Pirelli's mostly to do with my inexperience as I was fairly new to driving, but before this happened the tyres weren't the best grip in any moist or worse weather.
Now my 1 month new to me Volvo XC90 came with a full set of Pirelli Scorpian Zero's and I have to say I am little bit concerned about these tyres.
They are 19" Tyres I can't afford to just go out and buy a replacement set.
My Car is going to be the Major Car used in the Winter weather and I'm just a little bit wary of driving it now as I don't want to write off my new baby due to these Tyres.
If you get regular wintry weather where you are, and NEED to use the car on a daily basis, then the sensible thing to do is purchase a set of winter tyres.

ANY summer tyre is crap in wintry conditions. 4WD in such scenarios means very little, in fact all it means is that all 4 of your wheels will spin rather than only 2!
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 11:36   #30
AleXc90
XC90 R-Design Owner

Can you part exchange tyres?
As can't really afford to buy out a brand new set.
Obviously my bank balance is a little bit tight the moment as I bought the Car a month ago.
We leave in an area that is quite hilly and I have noticed I get a bit of a bang if I pull away to quick which I am guessing now is one of the safety guides kicking in like the ABS or something similar.
I'm beginning to think that is obviously coming from the tyres.
I don't really have anywhere to store a set of tyres.
Obviously I really need something that will back me up in the snow and won't slip and slide on the hills.
I don't really want to keep changing the Tyres just have an all rounder.
My previous 4x4 use to have Bridgestone Duellers I found these to be good tyres but whether that is the case for the XC90 definitely need to look into this.
AleXc90 is offline   Reply With Quote