Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear inner arm Bushes

Views : 708

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:54   #1
Phil99

Hi,

Can any one please advise on what's involved with changing the "rear inner arm bushes" on a V40.
Advised by a dealer that the bushes are beginning to crack. The dealer also advised that the cost of replacement is £100 per side + labour.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 14:57   #2
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

phil

have you got the haynes manual, that should help....

if you havnt shout and i will sort out the destructions for you..

cheers

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 23:05   #3
gnhuk
Balding.............

Had a similar problem with my S40 and it was a pain in the wallet! Why do these things give up at so low milages? Don't go near a main stealer - it will only hurt more!
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 12:00   #4
kinnockthecat

Hi ya
Had my osr bush replaced on my 1998 V40 T4 last year. Cost for spare was about £170 (from main dealer) and labour on top. It was fitted by my local garage who normally do my servicing (main dealer to expensive and cr*p).
There are two types if I recall correctly, from late 1998 on it is a large arm and bush assy which is why it is expensive and earlier ones were a smaller rubber bush which can be pressed out and a new one pressed in. However my car is an earlier 98 but had the later bushes fitted. lt maybe because I bought mine in France whilst I was living there. So check and make sure which type you have as it is a big difference in price. Main dealer doing the work would be expensive I guess.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:36   #5
velocitysurfer

My (early) R reg T4 has the smaller bushes fitted.

It failed the MOT back in November because of them. I had them changed at a Main Dealer (both sides) and it cost approx £200 all in.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 01:12   #6
Rooster
Speed freak

Which bush's we talking about here the main big trailing arm bush or the little camber contol are bush halfway down the arm,

On 96-99 model cars the main big trailing arm bush splits and when you change them you put the later spec bush in and they are a complete t**t to change.

On later cars 01 on its the little camber control arm bush's that split, seen them split on cars with 20k on and they cos a fortune for what they are. I have an 01 s40 and have had to replace these arms but i've looked into getting a stronger set but nobody only dealers do them and i carn't find anywhere that will make me a set up. Would be ideal if the arms could have rose joints instead of bushs in.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 13:29   #7
kinnockthecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
Which bush's we talking about here the main big trailing arm bush or the little camber contol are bush halfway down the arm,
The one I had changed was the osr big trailing arm. If memory serves me correctly, the garage had ordered the smaller one, my car is a Jan 1998 car but built for the French market as I said in an earlier post. But the arm fitted to mine is late 98 model. Now this may well be because the big arm type was fitted to European models before UK ones (does this make any sense)
It may well be that these bushes can be changed seperately but I hadn't had the time to investigate this. As I said in my previous post it cost about £170 compared to abut £20 to £30 for the smaller earlier type.