Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fitting to a turbo to N/A engine

Views : 733

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 12:04   #1
sonny v40

Default fitting to a turbo to N/A engine

hey

could anyone there shed some light on turbocharging an engine? i have the manifold with a turbo of t4 and intercooler. but where does the oil pipe connect to? I know i could allow upto 7lb boost before i need further upgrades but i do i control the correct boost?

why waste a good engine than getting an old tired tubo engine.

any advise would be great...

thanks
sonny v40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 16:54   #2
Ross9
Master Member

You wont have anywhere for the oil pipe to connect to, the engine you are bolting the turbo too was never meant to have one, so there are no feeds and drains for the turbo's oil supply, I would imagine the easiest way to sort that would be to get a T4 oil pump and sump with the required fittings, though whether they are transferrable as bolt on bolt off replacements I have no idea, some research will be required there.

For the correct boost you will need an aftermarket boost controller, your car is also never meant to have positive manifold pressure so has no way of controlling it.

Then there's other stuff it doesn't sound like you've thought of yet, the car I assume runs on an airflow meter, if it also uses a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor in the fuelling equations then you may need to change this as it may not be able to read positive pressure, the air flow meter may max out at full boost if it's not designed to read that amount of airflow, even if these sensors do have the threshold to read the increased airflow and pressure it will most certainly push the cars fuelling map WAY off what it's been set for, so it will need a custom remap OR perhaps substiting a T4 ECU will sort this problem.

there's a lot of stuff to adress tbh, thats why in ALL cases, unless you have something like a Honda where there is no turbo version, your better off just transplanting the whole lot, you can turbo a nasp engine, a mate of mine has a 300+ bhp 1.4 mini that used to be nasp, but there's a whole lot more to it than simply bolting a turbo and manifold on. Most of my very limited tuning knowledge comes from my old rover days, iof you wanted a turbo'd bubble shape 200 (which was lighter) the easiest and cheapest way was to find an older shape 2.0 turbo 200 that had rotted away or been smacked from behind and written off, sit the whole donor car next to the one you want to turbo and just swap everything over.

Sorry if thats rained on the parade a bit, just best you appreciate whats involved before you start splashing the cash

Ross

Last edited by Ross9; Nov 18th, 2008 at 16:56.
Ross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 00:02   #3
spangoolies
Better Than Premier!

what car are you thinking of doing this to? if its anything other than a 2.0ltr then seriously dont bother. if its a 2.0ltr then your best and most affordable bet is to buy a donor 2.0t or t4 and swap absolutely everything over except the block itself minus the sump and oil pump ect (stated by ross). or drop your bare block into a turbo car. even then im not sure if the stock n/a pistons are strong enough to cope with the extra pressure. or if the timing will be correct. you need a turbo ecu, intake manifold, throttlebody, maf sensor, injectors, all intake sensors, exhaust, full wiring loom, fuel pump, intercooler piping, vac hoses, boost solenoids, oil lines, coolant lines, ect ect ect. the list goes on and on. volvo engines are fairly easy to break, i learnt from experience and bolting a turbo to a n/a engine will simply make the engine run so lean it will s***w it completely. you need to keep a constant safe mix throughout the rev range and that can only be done with all the right sensors, controllers, ecu, piping, wiring ect. and will probably need a custom ecu tune if there are any differences in the timing and fueling ect and that is not cheap at all

spangoolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 00:35   #4
sonny v40

thanks for all the advises.. it great to have some feedback (good or worst) i will bear in mind on all the points u giving me. it hard to research as there isn't much out the for volvo.
sonny v40 is offline   Reply With Quote