Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06> / V70 '07> / XC70 '07> General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S80 '06> / V70 '07> / XC70 '07> General Forum for the Volvo S80 '06> / V70 '07> XC70 '07> models (V70 Generation 3)

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on V70 D5 - Looking to buy

Views : 513

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 07:19   #11
watson54z
New Member
 

Last Online: Jul 2nd, 2020 08:17
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: oswestry
Smile

thats great thank you, i guess if i think of say 2 oil dump's for the cost of a clutch change mileage wise i won't go far wrong. Thanks all, hopefully i can find a good 1!
watson54z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 08:03   #12
reggit
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 10:39
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Preston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson54z View Post
thats great thank you, i guess if i think of say 2 oil dump's for the cost of a clutch change mileage wise i won't go far wrong. Thanks all, hopefully i can find a good 1!
A couple of dumps will be way less than a clutch change. It’s a fairly easy DIY job and if you get oil from eBay in 10 litre tubs, its costs around £32.

Just doing the same on my ‘new’ V70 which has higher miles than you are looking for.
__________________
2009 Volvo V70 D5 (205bhp) r-design 170,000 miles

1996 Honda CB1000
1982 Yamaha RD350LC
2002 Honda CB1300 SC40
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reggit For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 10:01   #13
Sotosound
Senior Member
 

Last Online: Jul 10th, 2020 14:30
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Aylesbury
Default

I tend to keep an eye on my local specialist, Horton Cars. They’re a Volvo specialist that also sell loads of used Volvos.

They also guarantee the vehicles that they sell and have a high customer retention.

As a family, we’ve now purchased six used Volvos from them - a P1 V70, a P2 V70, a P2 S60, a Mark 1 C70, a P3 XC70 and a V60. All of these cars were good examples and any issues were sorted without quibble.

Currently, they have a nice-looking 2013 V70 D5 SE Lux Geartronic for sale at £7985.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 11:37   #14
Model flyer
Master Member
 

Last Online: Jul 7th, 2020 16:08
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kent,pothole capital of UK.
Default

If you go for the manual , have you added in the cost of a new dual mass flywheel to the clutch change. Not just a clutch but the whole kit and caboodle. Having said that my V70 2007/8 model had 146k on it when I sold it . Still on original clutch and still working fine. My advice would be that if you find another wise nice car with ? Over the clutch and not priced accordingly ,walk away . Similarly auto boxes with high miles that have not had fluid changed can be a problem .
Listen for any creeking from rear suspension. This is likely to be rear trailing arm from bushes and will set you back about £300 at a garage. Listen for slight knocking from front suspension when driving over slight road undulations . This will undoubtedly be front shocks and top mounts. I replaced my own at a cost of around £250.
The good thing about Volvo is that their servicing has been computerised for some years so any servicing can easily be checked. Timing and auxiliary belts are crucial.
__________________
The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 20:38   #15
Kev0607
Master Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 19:55
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Manchester
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
If you go for the manual , have you added in the cost of a new dual mass flywheel to the clutch change. Not just a clutch but the whole kit and caboodle. Having said that my V70 2007/8 model had 146k on it when I sold it . Still on original clutch and still working fine. My advice would be that if you find another wise nice car with ? Over the clutch and not priced accordingly ,walk away . Similarly auto boxes with high miles that have not had fluid changed can be a problem .
Listen for any creeking from rear suspension. This is likely to be rear trailing arm from bushes and will set you back about £300 at a garage. Listen for slight knocking from front suspension when driving over slight road undulations . This will undoubtedly be front shocks and top mounts. I replaced my own at a cost of around £250.
The good thing about Volvo is that their servicing has been computerised for some years so any servicing can easily be checked. Timing and auxiliary belts are crucial.
I wouldn't be sure about that due to data protection. The dealership that stamped the service book for my car prior to me purchasing the vehicle wouldn't give me any information. They just said that there were multiple service records for the car, but couldn't say what was done.
__________________
2007 Volvo S80 2.4D (163bhp) - 103,000 miles.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 20:44   #16
Sotosound
Senior Member
 

Last Online: Jul 10th, 2020 14:30
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Aylesbury
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I wouldn't be sure about that due to data protection. The dealership that stamped the service book for my car prior to me purchasing the vehicle wouldn't give me any information. They just said that there were multiple service records for the car, but couldn't say what was done.
The data protection act is aimed at protecting personal data, not service information about a vehicle.

In short, what the dealership said rhymes with rowlocks.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 20:55   #17
Kev0607
Master Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 19:55
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Manchester
Default

I understand that, but I wanted print-outs of the servicing work that has been done over the years prior to my ownership, but they refused.

I did suspect that maybe I was speaking to a jobsworth. I'll try again, but its not important.
__________________
2007 Volvo S80 2.4D (163bhp) - 103,000 miles.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:57.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.