Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Felt Seal on Plate

Views : 728

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2020, 18:04   #1
gothamus

Default Felt Seal on Plate

Here's a question I waited to ask until the last minute: How do I change the felt on the rear wheel outer oil seal? I'm changing the bearings on my rear wheels. The metal ring that keeps the felt in place looks pressed in for good. Further attempts for me to remove will ruin the felt. Right now, looks like an unmovable ring. Picture of part for clarity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Seal Plate.jpg (342.4 KB, 27 views)
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 18:37   #2
arcturus
arcturus

Just remind us what car you are talking about.
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 19:29   #3
c1800
Master Member

From his profile, appears to be:

Model
Volvo Amazon
Body
Saloon
Year
Colour
Grey
Transmission
M40
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 21:49   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Ruining the felt isn't a problem as you are going to put a new one in. Twisting a wide blade screwdriver should ease the ring upwards but don't bend the main housing plate. If you do bend/damage the ring make it nice again before refitting.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 01:23   #5
gothamus

Default goofed

Sorry for leaving the car out, went a little fast in my posting. Thanks for looking up and correcting it, c1800!

That's the confirmation I was looking for before I start prying away with some possibly metal bending strength.

It's a funny image of me holding up the half-shaft vertical and dropping the bearing onto it. Only to have it land on my hand halfway down the shaft. Completing rear wheel bearings will take a few more days because I've ordered the wrong part! The shops I was searching didn't list the parts by the Timken number, only the Volvo number which doesn't help a guy that doesn't know, like me. Timken 14132T is Volvo #181189. Can you rightly return bearings package opened? Seems kind of wrong.

I was going to wait and do the front when the rear is done. But maybe I should just go for it and find out if I need anything else. Find out there was a special 3rd bearing on the early '65 4-door Amazon's!
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 12:09   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Buying a pair of the tin seal retainers might have been a good idea but they should come out easily. Wouldn't have added too much to the already large bill for the bearings. Tip: Don't try and use the seal housing to push the bearing in the final amount. It won't work and will just distort the housing.
Amateur (sorry David)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWf8-ypG5o0
Front bearings in Pt 3
Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ujncqa9_po

Last edited by Derek UK; Jun 28th, 2020 at 12:13.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 03:54   #7
gothamus

Default Changing Bearings

That was as simple as you said! Done in minutes. The inner oil seals were more difficult to insert, like you said. I right away found a 38 mm socket wasn’t a perfect replacement for the correct pressing tool. I took a lot of time rummaging to get something the mostly worked. It did leave a few marks.

I found this video posted by Classic Amazon helpful for the entire process. He seems to be actively adding videos to their library. The videos seem quite competent and direct with little side chatter.

Amazon Cars: Changing Rear Wheel Bearings

Hopefully correct bearings Wednesday. But I think the necessary job is in between the 2 shafts. I found a lot of texture in the sound when I turn the shaft while it’s inserted into the axle. Oh dear!