Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 Estate rust repair

Views : 1112

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 21:35   #1
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Default 240 Estate rust repair

I was wondering if anyone has done a repair to the lower closed panel in the tailgate opening. I have a couple of spots where it's rusted through on my 1990 245, but whilst I've seen a number with rust in the same place I've not seen a repair panel for this purpose.

I wasn't looking for advice on rust prevention or suitability of body filler - I just thought someone might have restored an otherwise rust free vehicle with a welded repair, or might know from having repaired accident damage.

The ends of the steel section are visible at either side of the tailgate opening, and it continues into the car under the s/s cover plate and latch plate. It has wires running behind it in the boot area - one, for the tailgate light is quite challenging to remove/replace.

So advice from anyone who's tackled this problem most welcome - how much to cut, where to weld, what to remove etc.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 23:35   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Panel is available from Volvo which goes across to where it curves up. It costs about £75. I only used the front part of it as area holding catch was solid. My repair is not yet finished as it had rusted beyond tyhe end of the panel. You'll probably find the panel curving below is rotten too. This I fabricated. You need to remove rear bumper to do this repair. If its only a small area I would be tempted to make and let in small patches.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:14   #3
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Thanks for the info - I only have two small holes about the size of a 10p, but presumably a good bit more will be quite thin in places. Curiously the panel below is solid on my car, in fact I wasn't aware it was a hollow section and had been looking underneath (by the bumper) to see if it was rusting from behind, as I'd seen others do -- dooh!

A bit of waxoyl a few years back would have saved me the trouble - strange it seems to be the only bit the rustproofing misses occasionally on the later cars.

I couldn't tell easily how far the panel continues down below the floor line inside the car - it would be great if you happened to have a photo of what's underneath the panel.

Thanks again

Last edited by Glen Morangie; Mar 23rd, 2006 at 01:51.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:27   #4
Dez

OH NO!!

Sometimes this forum can be tooo good. I've just checked that area on my car and it's toatlly rotten!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:11   #5
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I'll try and get some pics sorted out asap.

Mike

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 15:20   #6
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I've taken a couple of pics. The one from the rear shows the new panel in place (still not painted!) It joins just befor ethe curve up. The other picture shows part of the panel fabricated to infill for rotten metal underneath. The weld (and lack of it at the end) is fairly easy to see. I still have some repairs close to the rear lights to do yet before respray. This will see these areas finished and tidied up. MOT requirements were reason for what was done.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tailgate repair 001.JPG (129.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg tailgate repair 004.JPG (107.7 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Mike_Brace; Mar 25th, 2006 at 15:23.