Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how many of you have suffered AWD system issues?

Views : 85284

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED ANY AWD ISSUES
YES I HAVE HAD AWD ISSUES 231 53.35%
NO I HAVE NOT HAD AWD ISSUES 202 46.65%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 14th, 2013, 17:10   #221
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Ignore - Dup post
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 22:09   #222
Mac the Tank

+1 in the yes camp...

No RWD, prop shaft free wheeling by hand. Been taking bevel gear out today and will replace splined coupling. Noticed it may not be the first time on this car either (13mm bolts already fitted instead of original 14mm)

Hopefully bevel gear input shaft isn't toast...

2005(05) XC90 D5 - 100k Club!
:: 2001(Y) BMW Z3 2.2i - 18k :: 2010 (59) V'xall Astra Van 1.9TD 8v - 89k
Mac the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 10:53   #223
Carrizos

I am now on 88000 miles and tempted to change my coupling as a precautionary measure.
Carrizos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 11:07   #224
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac the Tank View Post
+1 in the yes camp...

No RWD, prop shaft free wheeling by hand. Been taking bevel gear out today and will replace splined coupling. Noticed it may not be the first time on this car either (13mm bolts already fitted instead of original 14mm)

Hopefully bevel gear input shaft isn't toast...
Hi Mac - curious to know what mileage and year your car is if you think this might be the second time. Just about to do mine again...
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 13:33   #225
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
Hi Mac - curious to know what mileage and year your car is if you think this might be the second time. Just about to do mine again...
Hi Ian Hasn't the uprated kit solved the problem?
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 16:54   #226
Mac the Tank

Quote:
Just ticked over 100k on an 05 plate. Apparently serviced at volvo for its life (north London; not local), so will question them on its history probably tomorrow.

2005(05) XC90 D5 - 100k Club!
:: 2001(Y) BMW Z3 2.2i - 18k :: 2010 (59) V'xall Astra Van 1.9TD 8v - 89k
Mac the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mac the Tank For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 18:26   #227
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Hi Ian Hasn't the uprated kit solved the problem?
HI Roy,
I might be jumping the gun actually - as the car goes in on Thursday to have this looked at. So I'm assuming it's the splines again (could it be anything else ??)
The 1st repair was done in Jan 2008 at 73,500 miles - so assume it used the revised part (post 2006).
The part number for the sleeve on the bill is V31256008.

I get the impression that water ingress is possibly the primary cause of failure - and it's more than fair to say mine has been swimming a few times since then !! (i.e above front number plate height )
When I had the clutch done a few months ago - the garage did say that they found what seemed like a plaster cast of mud around the housing. So there's a good chance that this is self inflicted and the seal has had more than enough to cope with.
Unless the 2006 new part is also vulnerable. Is there a way to tell definitely that the initial replacement used the improved seals - or not ? Or is that the 13mm/14mm difference ?
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 19:25   #228
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
HI Roy,
I might be jumping the gun actually - as the car goes in on Thursday to have this looked at. So I'm assuming it's the splines again (could it be anything else ??)
The 1st repair was done in Jan 2008 at 73,500 miles - so assume it used the revised part (post 2006).
The part number for the sleeve on the bill is V31256008.

I get the impression that water ingress is possibly the primary cause of failure - and it's more than fair to say mine has been swimming a few times since then !! (i.e above front number plate height )
When I had the clutch done a few months ago - the garage did say that they found what seemed like a plaster cast of mud around the housing. So there's a good chance that this is self inflicted and the seal has had more than enough to cope with.
Unless the 2006 new part is also vulnerable. Is there a way to tell definitely that the initial replacement used the improved seals - or not ? Or is that the 13mm/14mm difference ?
Hi Ian

I don't know about the nut size. I'll see if I can find my bill and check the part no.

The original sleeve suffered from condensation damage I think, plus it was different steel that didn't take the hardening so well. I thought the grease and seals (in the new part kit) were as much about sealing the sleeve from the damp in the air rather than sealing it externally.

All true full time 4x4 manufacturers, that's the likes of Land Rover say not to go above axle height except in an emergency, but if it's unavoidable to completely strip every part of the transmission, clean and re-grease change oil etc. to avoid damage to the transmission.

I know a lot of people ignore the warnings about axle height and stripping but also don't keep their vehicles long enough to find out if anything has suffered.

I did comment about the axel height warning when I saw your very impressive photos and it's interesting to me to hear feedback from a long term user like your self. I hope it's not expensive research though.

All the best.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Oct 29th, 2013 at 19:29. Reason: clarity
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 20:02   #229
ianu
Premier Member

Thanks Roy - yes I know they don't give recommended wading depths for nothing so that's why at all these events you sign your disclaimer, pays your money and takes your chance.
So I took my chance and whether it's a contibutory factor or not, the garage will probably find out on Thursday - so I'll be sure to let you all know :-)

But I have to be very honest and say that considering the limits I have pushed my car through - well beyond what it was ever intended for (although I doubt it'd stand it everyday - that's what you buy a Defender for surely), I am amazed by its durability and that I haven't had what seem to be half the problems some more unfortunate members on here have had with newer and lower mileage models ??
To all intense and purpose - mine should be falling to bits - but it just isn't. It's worth practically nothing - looks fantatstic when buffed up, and makes absolutely no sense to change it.

Stay tuned :-)

Cheers
Ian.
The Following User Says Thank You to ianu For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 15:55   #230
Argyllt6

Question t6 no rwd

my yaw rate sensor thats under the drivers seat is missing..?? could this be the reason my rwd aint working.?

i cannot turn the prop shaft when stationary i hear this is good and i know the t6 doesnt have the usual failing sleeved spline problems like most other people on here are having..

i have anti-skid message on the dash display also.
would replacing the yaw rate sensor fix my rwd issues..??

cheers..

Last edited by Argyllt6; Nov 7th, 2013 at 16:35.
Argyllt6 is offline   Reply With Quote