Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another Volvo resurrected!

Views : 1227

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:26   #1
Dez

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum as i've only just got myself a great big yellow 240 Estate. I originally bought it as a runaround for taking my bands gear to gigs and rehearsals but after driving it home i think i'll use it more often.

I like these forums as the car needs some work done, most of which will be happening this weekend but i need to know a couple of things as i've no haynes manual yet or car manual. If you could help i would really appreciate it!
Firstly, it's a D reg 240 DL Estate, Automatic gearbox.

1) What Oil do i use for an oil change and does this also empty the gearbox oil like the old Mini's?

2) where is the oil filter?!

3) what does the smaller button do on the auto gear stick? It lights up an arrow on the dash.

4) wheres the best place or website to browse styling mods for a 240?

Cheers and all the best!

Dez
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 14:11   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

Welcome to VolvoVille.

Nicotine Yellow ? - now that's smokin' ...!!

I am not a purist and I am not into all the synthetic oils etc. I would just be using (and have used) something like a proprietary 10/50 oil such as Castrol or even Halfords if you want.

The engine oil is separate from your gearbox oil.

The oil filter (as far as I remember) is the cannister object at the bottom front of the engine block on the exhaust manifold side. This may only be hand tight but if not it is best removed with a strap or chain wrench. There will be some spillage from the filter only. You will not need to fully drain the sump just to change the filter.

That little button on the shift stick is used to loac out the top gear. When operated, there will be an up arrow lit on the row of dash warning lights. This is useful when towing in hilly country (and even heavy town traffic) to stop the autobox hunting for gears and constantly changing.

Never was great on the 'styling' front so perhaps someone else will advise on this.

Enjoy your 'brick'.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 15:44   #3
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

Hello Dez, styling a 240 isn't done much in the UK, but I am trying to style mine, parts are available from the USA and germany and sweden, things like the alloy wheels off of a GLT model look nice.

Try tinting all the windows bar the windscreen and two front windows, it makes the car look alot better.

I started off with a 240 GL Auto, almost the same as yours now i have this:

And here she is before, (probably at the same stage as yours):

For more info on tuning and styling lok at sites such as turbobricks (US) and the www.volvo300mania.com (I'm a member there and we meet up alot throughout the year)
tuning_redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 16:13   #4
Dez

Thanks guys for your help! That 240 looks like it should be rallying or something! is that what you do with it? looks very cool. I'll be doing the windows very soon, i can't do the front sides though as i think theres a new law out regarding that..
At the moment i'm gonna try and get the paintwork looking pristine before i hunt out fat alloys to fill those arches.

Whats the deal with the engine code on these things? I've no idea what mine is except it has a round looking carb with black tape on it ( some kind of repair) and it's a 2.3.

heres a picture of my one by the way....
DSC00020.JPG
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 16:46   #5
brens-s80
VOC Member

Talking welcome on board

Hi Dez,

welcome to the board . You will enjoy yourself here and learn quiet a lot , I know I've have. They are also a great bunch of people . I've just got my 1992 245SE last week and already I'am up to my armpits in cleaning products and diy books ;-).

great to see another one saved.

best of luck with your brick

brendan

Last edited by brens-s80; Mar 16th, 2006 at 22:37.
brens-s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 22:16   #6
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Welcome to the 240 forum. The engine code thing is B200/230 K = 2.0 or 2.3 carb. B200/230E IS 2.0 OR 2.3 injection. Any 15/40 with an API rating above CE (CF etc) and SG and above will be fine. (these ratings will be on the small print. Always use genuine Volvo filters. They aren't a ridiculous price from your dealer and will protect your engine properly. (Mine is at 273,000 now and uses little oil). Lots can be done by careful de-trimming but that also means painting. A set of GLT wheels is the best with 205/60 15 tyres (not budget) will do a lot to improve looks and handling. They can be clour coded or contrasted - Matt runs his Dark Grey GLT with purple wheels! Try lowering it like my estate below, it looks good and improves handling.
Let's see some pics and hear how you get on.
Best wishes

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:05   #7
Dez

Thanks for the warm welcome! - i love tinkering with older cars and although i may have looked the other way in the past regarding certain volvo's, these 240's are the dogs wotsits! i can't believe that a 20 year old car can have have electric wing mirrors, heated seats, tinted window, gauges like a fighter jet, central locking AND rear seatbelts! it's fantastic!

I'll be changing the oil this weekend as it looks like treacle, and also checking service items like spark plugs and the like. It sailed through the MOT last week. All it need was a track rod end ( 4 quid halfords) and a tyre.

So hopefully after it runs well i can start on making it look well. I have GLT alloys in the pipeline and will tint the back windows ( as i will be transporting band equipment) with some nice neons in side above the windows so we can see what we're doing in the dark! and Adding some spot lights on the front .I've already fitted a head unit and 12 disc autochanger and it sounds fantastic with those standard Blaupunkts in the fron doors. Pity theres no speakers in the rear though?

I'll take some photo's this weekend and show you the brick!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 18:56   #8
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Rear speakers are easy to fit - plenty of room for 6 x 9s.
Make sure you wire your front spots off the main beam circuit via a relay - saves risk of overloading wiring and means they cut when you dip.
I would strongly recommend using a genuine Volvo filter - they aren't a silly price and offer the best protection.
I have posted previously aboput handling mods - if you search the forum you should find them - they are a recommended read!
Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 12:20   #9
Dez

just chaged the oil! got a Volvo filter as suggested but ran it at 200rpm with engine flush for 10 minutes before i did the oil change. After switching it off and getting underneath to drain the oil, i noticed quite a large oil puddle just under the sump. The sump plug itself looked ok, the oil was coming from above it somewhere. my heart stopped literally. i don't mind getting dirty fixing cars but when it comes to tracking oil leaks and then having to come to terms with either taking the engine out or gearbox out to change a small gasket!!!! ARGH!!!

Anyways, the new oil has stopped the lifters chattering.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 12:31   #10
brens-s80
VOC Member

Wink Similar problem

Hi ,
I had a similar but not as severe problem with my 240. The soloution was to clean out the flametrap and all pipes leading to/from it. Also remember to clean the nipple on the inlet manifold.

From what I have been told here is that if the flametrap is badly blocked it will put back pressure on the system and force the oil out through the gaskets.

I did mine last week and not a drop has leaked since.

hope this helps

brendan
brens-s80 is offline   Reply With Quote