Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

to flush or not to flush ?

Views : 685

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 13:43   #1
brens-s80
VOC Member

Question to flush or not to flush ?

Hi all,

Just wondering I'am about to change the Oil on my 240 and was wondering what is the general concensus regarding using Oil flushing products on the B200F Engine.

The oil in the car is very dirty and I'am torn between the slow process of replacing the oil and filter and then running it for a few days and then repeat the procedure to clean out the crud and possibly have to do it a 3rd time ( very expensive). Or using an Oil flush running the car and then only replace the oil and filter once.

whats your views/advice

regards
brendan
brens-s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 13:52   #2
Erling
VOC member

I think I would have got two 4 litre cans of cheap oil and two filters, do a change, drive for a few days, and drain the oil. If the oil still looks dirty, repeat the process.

The redblock motors are not very choosy regarding oils, but if you use the car mainly for shorter trips (like me), changing at 3,000 miles intervals could be wise. Volvo (=Mann) filters are highly recommended.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 14:05   #3
blues60
My car is blue

Could you not just empty the old oil and re fill it with a cheaper oil, leaving the old filter on and then run it for a few gentle miles and then do the full oil and filter change. Unless the engine is really cruddy the old filter will pick up the remainder of the gunge and then you can start fresh with the new filter and quality oil. I really depends when the oil was changed last. It's a complete false economy to skimp on oil. I tend to change oil on my cars every 6000 to ensure the turbo is fed nice clean oil and oilways do not get furred up.
Personally I am rather wary or the flushing products available and wonder if they can affect the engine adversely.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 15:36   #4
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

On engines like this my procedure is as follows:
1)With hot engine drop the oil and replace sump plug.
2)Fill engine with diesel (red if you can get it) instead of oil and and start and leave ticking over for 10-15 mins (Do not rev engine) The diesel cleans well and also lubricates adequately for this purpose.
3)Change filter and refill with a 15/40 turbo diesel oil. This has plenty of detergents and will clean engine further.
4) 3-6000 miles later perform another oil and filter change, continue using the turbo diesel oil.
I've rescued many a dirty engine this way.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 21:39   #5
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

I have heard of third hand horror stories about flushing. ie use a flushing agent and then change the oil. Next thing you know is the engine seizes because an important oil galley is blocked due to some crud being dislodged by the flush. This may well be only an urban myth but I think I'll save my money and just put good quality oil in.
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote