Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

100k miles D5SE 163 manual 54(05MY) sitrep

Views : 3140

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2009, 22:53   #1
ianu
Premier Member

Thumbs up 100k miles D5SE 163 manual 54(05MY) sitrep

Well,
A milestone passed last week which I felt worthy of reporting to you all - epsecially if you're looking at second hand tips as well.
Bought this from new - next to my house the biggest purchase I've ever made - next to my house one of the best too.
So - hows it been ? In a word fabulous.
Highlights:
I deliberately specced it with 17" rims after reading how quickly the 18" tyres wear and this has paid off. I'm only on my third set of tyres (42K/38k/still going strong at 20k - Michelin Synchrone Mud & Snow)
Satnav (shame the updates are so expensive though)
Integrated Phone (shame bluetooth wasn't quite ready in 04)
Manual 6 speed - so flexible and economical (I've seen 43mpg on the trip and that was 6 up going to Austria) - regularly around 36 - 38mpg
Rear seat headphones (kids love them)
7 seats - OK it's not a minibus - but I've had 7 adults with overnight bags strapped in. It comfortably accomodates 4 adults and 2 kids though
Huge load area with seats down - I've had a 3 seater sofa straight in no problem.
Side steps practical and look great.

Lowlights:
Warranty took care of:
Rear wheel bearings at 65K
AWD Spline shaft replacement at 72k (I paid a fraction of the bill because technically it was out of warranty - see other post)
Both headlamp lenses replaced (40k ish I think) (cracked and crazed exactly the same each side) - this is starting to re-appear as well.
Top engine mount.
Volvo servicing expensive - never come in less than £300 quid yet.
Drivers seat starting to show signs of wear on the outer edge of the base.
Dent in the middle of the roof caused by a bike jumping out of it's rack mounting - b*g*er.

Bling:
Rubber steps on side steps
V8 chrome bumber grill
Rear chrome strip across tail gate (a la current models)
Chrome number plate surrounds fr & rear
LED replacement bulbs for front sidelights and rear number plate lights.
Privacy glass

Regrets:
As a fully subscribed school run / activity wagon - not getting the fitted rubber mats until last month because it's a b*ugg*er to get mud out of the fitted carpet mats every few weeks.

Current issues:
Concern that it is literally using brake fluid somewhere - it's not leaking visibly from anywhere - but consuming about 100ml every few thousand miles (pads are fine)

Overall:
This car just keeps doing everything I ask of it. It pulls like a train - superbly comfortable however long you're in it for.
Superbly quiet when cruising (admit it does sound a bit harsh if you push it hard in each gear)
We've been to South of France with 5 people and 4 bikes, Austria with 6 and a roof box, I've had a twin axle box trailer hitched up for car boots and garden excavation duties.
It buffs up supremely - despite a few car park dings and the obligatory chips - it looks fantastic. I must admit I'm a bit fanatical about it so my only complaint here is that it is such a big car to wash properly - especially if you have the wheels off every couple of months.

One final thing:
Being a manual 6 speed - you have to deal with the foot operated parking brake. OK - definitely try before you buy - but don't let it put you off. You absolutely have to engage brain before you use it as you need to use your left foot to put it on (and likewise if you don't want the disconcerting 'thud' when you release it with the 'fly off release' handle).
My wife and I switch between two cars regularly - this has never caught us out (probably a bit like switching between a manual and auto regularly - you know instantly you're in something different)
If I could afford a new one again - I'd have another one tomorrow. I've been lucky that my dealer has always been very helpful (considering the business I've done with them - I should think so) - but I do feel for those that haven't been so fortunate as it makes a big differenece to the whole ownership experience.

I've got a few pic's here if you're interested -
http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/a?i=mJnNZxmrKE
Plus a couple in my album on this site (these were quite early photos though)

Great to see people enjoying the XC60 - what a great car too.

Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ianu For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2009, 22:59   #2
gillberry
VOC Member

I should be ordering my new one in the next couple of weeks so its great to hear such positive comments on a forum .
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:14   #3
Monkey Boy

Ian,

Nice blog, I recently traded in my 03 XC90 with 105K for an 05 with 40k as I try to trade up to a newer plate every couple of years and can honestly say she would have went on for another 100k as it was so reliable.

Could you let me know where you got the Rear chrome strip across tail gate and the cost.

Thanks,

Marc
Old May 26th, 2009, 18:21   #4
ianu
Premier Member

Hi Marc,
I got it from Boston Volvo (US)
http://parts.bostonvolvo.com/home.php?cat=266

Current price is $52.58 + shipping. I bought mine back in 2007 when the dollar was a bit better so it might be worth getting a price from UK dealer.
I also got the 'V8' chrome grill from here and the rubber side steps - so if you're doing a bit of shopping it might be worth getting a few bits at once.
I also e-mailed them about a few bits and they were extremely helpful - the guy that runs the parts dept couldn't believe how successful trade has been since setting up the website - he ships stuff all over the world now.
If it's not listed on the site - you can ask for a price via e-mail (obviously you need to be aware od anything that's LH drive specific)

Cheers
Ian.
The Following User Says Thank You to ianu For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2009, 22:39   #5
Jay

Ian - great message. I am thinking of ordering an xc90 manual se lux but still undecided whether to downgrade to 17" Neptune wheels. Both the se & se lux comes with 18" Camulus. It was nice to see your car with the 17" which does look good - not a great fan of big tyres and also have the same concern about tyre wear. I read that the 17" is a softer ride and less road noise compared to 18".

I need to sell my current car before i can put down a deposit.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:29   #6
TheDufster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
I should be ordering my new one in the next couple of weeks so its great to hear such positive comments on a forum .
Me too, if I can get the right deal.

Great post - thanks for all of the info, sounds like you have been using the car to the full. Where abouts in Austria did you go? I can really recommend that country for a holiday, especially if you drive the 1,000 mile each way trip. We went in a Saab 95 about 6 years ago and had a blast. I would love to take the family in an XC90.
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 15:13   #7
Jay

Volvo is offering 'tactical support' on new xc90 of £4k and also an extra £1k if you take the finance option which you can pay off after one payment but includes a cancellation fee of two months of interest payment. I have not seen this in writing but been told by a few dealerships.

I need to sell my current car before my wife will allow me to put down a deposit !!
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 22:12   #8
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDufster View Post
Me too, if I can get the right deal.

Great post - thanks for all of the info, sounds like you have been using the car to the full. Where abouts in Austria did you go? I can really recommend that country for a holiday, especially if you drive the 1,000 mile each way trip. We went in a Saab 95 about 6 years ago and had a blast. I would love to take the family in an XC90.
We went to a place called Hart in the Zillertal Valley region (near Fugen) We went in August and did a stop over each way in France just to break the journey (2 pensioners & 2 kids in tow - you know how it is !!)
The car was a dream - and I know the mpg trip can be optimistic - but I got my best reading ever on this journey of 43mpg. That was sticking to the posted limits all the way (90-130kmh) - not tailgating caravans at 50mph. The boot was stuffed AND we had a roof box on - all I can put it down to is that the sheer weight must have had so much momentum once we were going - it carried itself.. ?

Jay - regarding the tyres - the 17" rims came with Michelin Synchrone Road Snow fitted and surpassed my expectations for wear rate (I changed them with 2mm still across the whole tread area). The second set fitted were Michelin Energy - they were definitely quieter but horrendous for ride and grip. They were bouncy and useless in the wet - I couldn't wait to get them off - but even they came in only 4k shorter than the Synchrones - which I'm back on now. As everyone will testify on here it pays to shop around - but so far I've averaged approx £110 a corner fitted and the wear has been amazingly equal side to side and front to back without swapping wheels around. This gets a bit painful as you end up changing all 4 each time - but it's easy to budget for though.

I have wondered whether it would make sense to have a set of 18" for summer and 17" for winter months - but I don't think I'd actually recover the cost of 4 rims plus tyres - even second hand we're in the 600 - 800 quid bracket.

Valuable lesson #2 - if you go to Saltzberg in an XC90 - take the roof box off - or you'll have a mare finding the one car park that hasn't got a height restriction - and there'll probably be a queue to get in it.

Cheers
Ian.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 20:39   #9
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
Hi Marc,
I got it from Boston Volvo (US)
http://parts.bostonvolvo.com/home.php?cat=266

Current price is $52.58 + shipping. I bought mine back in 2007 when the dollar was a bit better so it might be worth getting a price from UK dealer.
I also got the 'V8' chrome grill from here and the rubber side steps - so if you're doing a bit of shopping it might be worth getting a few bits at once.
I also e-mailed them about a few bits and they were extremely helpful - the guy that runs the parts dept couldn't believe how successful trade has been since setting up the website - he ships stuff all over the world now.
If it's not listed on the site - you can ask for a price via e-mail (obviously you need to be aware od anything that's LH drive specific)

Cheers
Ian.
Ian,

My "Chrome Strip" for above the number plate (al a MY2008) arrived today from Boston Volvo and it looks the dogs!!

Many thanks for the info.

Marc
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 12:02   #10
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy View Post
Ian,

My "Chrome Strip" for above the number plate (al a MY2008) arrived today from Boston Volvo and it looks the dogs!!

Many thanks for the info.

Marc
Hello Marc et all..
Just for info I just had a quote from BV for the rear skid plate (the smaller one for the early model years) and he came back at $66.96 (which I reckon is about £45). These are £103 from my local dealer - but the shipping comes in at $77 (includinga pair of rear mudflaps ($36.84) so it takes the shine off it. If anyone is interested I'll see what a 'bulk' order would be - otherwise if anyones going to the states soon I'd make a bit of room for some shopping ..

Cheers
Ian
PS Hi Marc with a chrome rear number plate surround from Halfords and a pair of LED rear number plate bulbs from UltraLEDS - even bigger dogs.. :-)