Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC 90 buying help needed

Views : 835

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 16:55   #1
swede100

Default XC 90 buying help needed

Hi, I am making a general enquiry about an XC90. I am looking to buy an early diesel geartronic. Finances probably dictate it will be no newer than 04 and will have approaching 100k. It will be a second car (school run and family trips) which will cover about 8k a year

What should I look out for at this age and mileage, and what are the non franchised costs of servicing and parts like?

I appreciate all help.

Thanks
swede100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:26   #2
Finbo

Initially it will depend on what your budget is and what condition the car is in.

FSH is essential on these cars - 96k is the big service because the cambelt is also due to be changed.

If you do a search under XC90 reliability or problems there are various threads about wheel bearings (should have been done at the mileage you're looking at), AWD system, etc
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 17:12   #3
jjojjas

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede100 View Post
Hi, I am making a general enquiry about an XC90. I am looking to buy an early diesel geartronic. Finances probably dictate it will be no newer than 04 and will have approaching 100k. It will be a second car (school run and family trips) which will cover about 8k a year

What should I look out for at this age and mileage, and what are the non franchised costs of servicing and parts like?

I appreciate all help.

Thanks
Mines a 2004 with 89k on it. Its getting a timing belt in the next few weeks (I'll do it myself, its a fairly easy one). Mines a FSH one, the non-dealer part prices are pretty average I find. Some stuff is just as cheap at the dealers though. My intercooler split last year, that was about £200 to buy from the dealer which is pretty good....its massive. a genuine timing belt & kit is about £70 in e-bay (theres a volvo spares dealer on there).
As said above the wheel bearing fault should have been done by now. Make sure you get the 4 wheels aligned properly, it will save you a fortune in tyres. I love it, can't fault it really. gives about 30mpg around the doors and 36mpg at 75mph on the continental toll roads fully loaded. I run the tyres at 37psi.
a good choice of car.
Jas
A ge
jjojjas is offline   Reply With Quote