Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking of purchasing a Volvo C70, help needed

Views : 3903

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2017, 05:48   #1
BenV

Question Thinking of purchasing a Volvo C70, help needed

Hello Volvo forum,

I'm here today because I am looking into treating myself to a 2013 C70 and I thought it's best to come speak to the pros first.

I remember when I was younger the Police around Nottingham would drive around in T5's and the raw power used to surprise me. Then as the years have gone on the design has gone with time and become more modern to make the C70 even more appealing all I really need from you guys is some reassurance.

What are you guys experiences with the Volvo C7o in terms of maintenance? anything that is known for going failing? and then pretty much anything else you can share with me. I will place some specs below of what I have my eye on.

Make: Volvo
Model: C70 T5
Year: 2013
Engine: 2.6L
Transmission: Automatic
Mileage: 73,000

If there is anything else you guys need please let me know and I will get back to you asap.

Thanks
BenV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 06:33   #2
volvo for ever
Premier Member

DONT DO IT LOL ..

rattles ,water ingress,roof stops working next summer after not being used for 6 months ,
window lifts wires breaking ,this is my opinion

regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 08:02   #3
zapcity1

DO IT LOL ..

T5 is a great engine, cool roof mechanism. Bargain convertible compared to E class etc. As you might be able to tell its a marmite car. I love 'em.

2013 model well sorted, so probably best of the range. Styling less aggressive than early models but that was Volvo's market at the time.

As for buying a convertible, I would say do it if the roof coming off is the most important feature of the car. If not, get a saloon and a sunroof! There certainly are compromises you have to live with in a C70 (rattles definitely being one of them!).

Keep the roof and seals well maintained, door locks lubricated, gearbox oil changed and the mechanicals are very reliable. Dampers work hard, so might need changing at 90K onwards.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 08:29   #4
philrocks

Had mine for about 18 months now. And I love it, mine is 11 years old, I get no water ingress yet, though I do service the roof seals to stop them drying out (possibly helps, previous owner told me to do it).! Here are things to consider.

Doors are long and wide - require a fair amount of space to open comfortably (you will struggle in stingy car parks).

Turning circle isnt great, about 12m? (a old ford focus is about 10m i think)

Has one of the biggest boots for convertibles.

Has the best boot lid of any convertible (its not a tiny lid, its the same dimension as the actual boot!)

Has a boot access button in the boot, for when the roof is down. (I can put a pram in the boot, whilst the roof is down by pressing this button!)

T5 is where its at! Lovely engine, lovely noise, good amount of power! (even better with a custom exhaust / remap)

What to get:
Make sure it has a windbreaker for the rear, or buy one when you get it, else the turbulence created in the back will blow up the front, causing a chill on your arms.
Smarttop roof module - allows you to control the roof with yours keys, whilst the car is moving (you can adjust the speed) and a few other things. (really useful when walking to the car with a child in my arms, just press the unlock 3 times, roof goes down, and easy access to put a child in, did i mention the official volvo windbreaker has a zip up hole that basically gives you access to put a child through it into their seat!

If i think of anything else, I will let you know!

Previous Volvos: Volvo S40 1.9d

philrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 08:39   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

I cannot comment on the C70 but have a T5 and its well worth getting. Just make sure it has been well looked after as these cars need a bit more TLC. So a good service history, preferably with the dealers is a must.

Depending on the mileage you do, you might soon need a timing belt at that mileage some get them done between 80k - 110k, usually 80k if anything has been moded.

If you are only after the convertible then obviously the C70 but if its more the driving because they all have similar front end's I would look towards the C30 or the S40. S40 has a lot more space.

Good luck

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 16:49   #6
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

The MkII C70 is a fantastic car, I'm on my second one. A lot of late-model ones from 2012 onwards had all the big optional extras thrown in for very little cost with the SE Lux 'Solstice' edition, so you get a really nice interior with all the toys.

That said, if you're after a late-model T5 auto you'd better be prepared for £305 per annum road tax and no more than 30mpg on average. And unless you know someone who's selling one, you'll wait a loooooonnnnggg time for one to come up, I'm not sure that the T5 was even available all the way up to the end of production in June 2013.

Then, at 1¾ tons, there's just too much car for it to handle sportily and it will likewise blunt the edge of the T5's power delivery, as will the auto-box. It's more of a wafty cruiser, and suits a diesel automatic well, which is probably why most of the later ones were D3's. Take it easy and enjoy the toys!

The ride on the 18" rims is noticeably harsher than on the 17". 3000 miles on them in mine on my usual cross-country commute has seen it go from completely quiet to somewhat rattly around the roof, despite me keeping the seals lubricated.

Watch out for suspension issues, shockers as mentioned (on my old C70 at 77k they were about done!), but also broken springs, rattling ARB drop-links, and the rear bushes of the front wishbones (these are the main suspect if you get wobble under braking). Check the roof hydraulic rams aren't weeping, they're a £500 part and pretty much Volvo-dealer only to supply & fit. The air-con condensers are a weakness, they're Ford units and likely to need replacement by 6-7 years old, another £350-£400 and that's for a pattern part at an independent garage.

Do post back up with any further questions you get about the particular car you're looking at

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.

Last edited by Proghound; Aug 10th, 2017 at 16:54.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote