Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Articles

Notices

x40 S1 Articles Article posts pertaining to x40 S1 Articles series Volvos

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GUIDE - How to check if the VVT pulley has failed

Views : 12713

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2012, 00:04   #1
gatos
Premier Member

Default GUIDE - How to check if the VVT pulley has failed

This question has been asked many many times in the past, so I decided to make a quick guide that we can refer to people suspecting their Variable Valve Timing Pulley is playing up.

First of all you need to remove the top plastic covers of the engine. To do this, undo and remove the 6 screws (highlighted in the yellow circles). Remove the right hand side engine cover.

To remove the left hand side engine cover, you need to undo the 2 clips (highlighted in the yellow circles) and lift the cover.

Now you can see the VVT pulley and the VVT solenoid.

Now, unplug the connector going into the VVT Solenoid (highlighted in the yellow circle in the above picture) and start the engine.
- If the noise stops, then it is 99.99% the VVT Pulley being faulty and it needs replacing. A lot of people or garages misdiagnose that the VVT Solenoid is at fault, but very rarely does it fail. See Rufe's post here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=59917

- If the noise is still there when you disconnect the VVT Solenoid connector, then the VVT pulley is fine and something else is wrong with your car

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 00:52   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Originally posted Here.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote