Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steel luggage/dog guard xc70 front fitting

Views : 637

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2017, 22:46   #1
pyroloxley
Dinosaur

Default Steel luggage/dog guard xc70 front fitting

Hi all.
Been a member for a few years but very few posts.
The other day I tried to transfer the steel dog/luggage guard from behind the back seats to the front position behind the drivers seat. But it appears that Volvo dos't want me to do that as the distance across the car between fittings is approx 30mm different, making them non-interchangeable ?
Anyone know reasoning behind this as I find it inconvenient to say the least. It would be invaluable when carrying more than two large dogs. Or to protect driver when the back is "fully" loaded.
Car is 2007 xc70 (picked as one of the last volvos) but would also be useful on our 2002 v70 which has become the family transit removal/tip van - both d5s

On separate issue what sort of mpg do others get from xc70 d5 185.
I used to regulary get 40+ local, 60+ on long steady runs even close to 70 on very steady long runs using the v70 d5 163 5 speed manual.
Now on the xc70 d5 185 geartronic I'm lucky to see 31 mpg on steady driving. Now I know you can't compare oranges to apples. But I was expecting a little better on steady motorway driving - dos't actually appear to vary much with driving styles or conditions.

Any thoughts gratefully received
Thanks in anticipation
pyroloxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 00:24   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

The front mounting points are only designed for the luggage retaining net. If you are interested in one, I think I've got one from my P2 that I'd be happy to sell.

I guess the reason why the metal grill only fits in the cargo area is that it relies on the seat backs being locked in their upright position to form the bottom of 'cage' to retain the contents of the boot (dog, luggage, etc). If you were to fit the grill behind the front seats, the load could slide underneath or rip the whole thing from its mountings.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 08:22   #3
pyroloxley
Dinosaur

Thank you for reply, whilst I understand your reasoning, there have been times when I've been fully loaded with the seats down when a steel barrier would have given me a safer feel than a net.(especially since it's there folded up to the ceiling in the back)
I do already have a net, but thanks again for the offer.
Best regards.
pyroloxley is offline   Reply With Quote