Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 AWD- non-smooth manual transmission and delay in power at

Views : 915

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 11:52   #1
JonnyWatson74

Default D5 AWD- non-smooth manual transmission and delay in power at

Hi can anyone help: I have a V70 D5 AWD that is on an 06 plate: my local garage cannot clear a 'high air pressure set too high to turbo' fault code. It's beyond them to fix- they agree with me that the transmission doesn't seem as smooth as expected - in first and second the turbo kicks in very suddenly and the car launches forward more urgently than other diesels I ve driven. There is also a lag at 1800 RPM - almost a stutter before the power kicks in. Previous owner was an older gentleman doing 3k miles a year. Is this a case of dirty injectors? (I ve put forte and redder through it with limited results on this issue) if so what advice, if any does anyone have to address these issues or shall I move the car on .. I know it's very expensive to replace injectors . Thanks all Jonathan
JonnyWatson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 13:50   #2
red baron
under the bonnet

Probably not an overly helpful suggestion but have you tried giving the car a good flooring or driving hard (on a closed road )?
V50 D5
red baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 14:08   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyWatson74 View Post
Hi can anyone help: I have a V70 D5 AWD that is on an 06 plate: my local garage cannot clear a 'high air pressure set too high to turbo' fault code. It's beyond them to fix- they agree with me that the transmission doesn't seem as smooth as expected - in first and second the turbo kicks in very suddenly and the car launches forward more urgently than other diesels I ve driven. There is also a lag at 1800 RPM - almost a stutter before the power kicks in. Previous owner was an older gentleman doing 3k miles a year. Is this a case of dirty injectors? (I ve put forte and redder through it with limited results on this issue) if so what advice, if any does anyone have to address these issues or shall I move the car on .. I know it's very expensive to replace injectors . Thanks all Jonathan
Be real careful you don't get your wallet felt or your cards played out with the type of faults your engine might have!

Firstly you really must get the hidden fault codes checked by Volvo or some good good Indy that has the correct code reader. Don't pay them for that task unless they print out all the hidden fault codes.
Some of the codes might relate to systems of no real interest due to battery changes or minor issues like a duff glow plug, BUT you must find out if there are any turbo or any fuel injection codes before opening you wallet slightly AND you need to list the exact fault code number, as there are probably several relating to turbo boost.

Never replace injectors before making 100% sure they are not just gummed up. To prevent or clean up gummed up injectors, try using Liqui Moly Diesel Purge every time you replace the fuel filter (Just top it up with Purge). That easy method is a bit wasteful, but the excess direct feed cleaner poured into the filter that finishes up back in the tank does work well as a general diesel additive.
Using Purge is regarded by many German engineers as a standard serice item task. If you use top of the range diesel (Shell, BP or Aral only) then there might be no need to use a direct feed fuel additive.

It would be good if you posted the exact fault code list, as both a defective boost control valve (Easy job) and fuel pressure control valve can cause similar symptoms.

A blocked EGR or real dirty intake might not result in a sensible fault code, but they can cause a big lag when the go pedal is booted, the EGR in particular.

PS: Not sure if the add's you list are direct feed or intake cleaners. Using spray in intake cleaners is very dodgy in a diesel even at idle, although there are a few EGR's that can be cleaned using a specic type of cleaner (They have a long spray hose that positioned to allow the spray into the EGR). Forget what they call that type of cleaner.

Wild guess without fault codes, but it might be an Iffy boost control valve AND a dirty EGR.

I would be careful driving around just in case the turbo starts overboosting, as that can result in something going bang if you are not lucky!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Aug 14th, 2017 at 14:21.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 21:53   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Probably not an overly helpful suggestion but have you tried giving the car a good flooring or driving hard (on a closed road )?
I would not try that until you know what the fault is, as it might do some real damage or result in something nasty like a turbo runaway.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 21:55   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyWatson74 View Post
Boost pressure sensors is favourite at the moment , save yourself some money and get a dealer who knows what is what to sort it for you .
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 15:21   #6
JonnyWatson74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Boost pressure sensors is favourite at the moment , save yourself some money and get a dealer who knows what is what to sort it for you .
You were right- sort of: it was a boost pressure sensor. I also had the actuator refurbished but the car still isnt right. The pressure sensor came up after he engine service management light came on. I had to get it done and it has improved things Big the car still stutters. It has had a replacement EGR a valve before I had it so I suspect the car has always had problems. I ve had the EGR cleaned out when the actuator was done and the car just doesn’t feel right. I suspect it’s a Friday car. I never thought I d have all these issues with a Volvo - and the radio has stopped working! Thanks for advice
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 15:23   #7
JonnyWatson74

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
I would not try that until you know what the fault is, as it might do some real damage or result in something nasty like a turbo runaway.
Just wanted to thank you for your advice - I ended up getting pressure sensor replaced and actuator re furbished but it’s still under or over boosting . I suspect it’s a Friday car - only done 132k but too troublesome.

Thanks again for your detailed advice

PS tried Archoil and Forte diesel
Cleaners made no difference to issue
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 19:06   #8
davebb
Premier Member

Hi, as I said in your other post, I would put my money on it being the VNT is not moving correctly, He should have tested that when doing the actuator,
and if your car has a electronic actuator, that is what would have killed the actuator as it will be trying to move the turbo VNT that is stuck with carbon, this is the most common over/underboost as there is no turbo control,
you need to remove the turbo from the car and clean the vnt mechanism,
The so called mechanic taking your cash should know that,
He should have logged the boost then he would have seen it as clear as day,
your recon actuator could be dead now as well,
I would go and get your money back before he books a nice holiday,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injectors, turbo problems, v70 2.5 tdi