Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drivers Information Module (DIM) replacement

Views : 161787

Replies : 477

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: S60 & V70 DIM, had it replaced yet?
Yes 53 9.12%
No 247 42.51%
Soon, showing signs... 208 35.80%
Had it repaired 73 12.56%
Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 10th, 2017, 18:40   #421
BobS
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson View Post
I have a 2002 V70 and and the whole instrument cluster within the DIM is completely blacked out. I took it down to be fixed by firm in Waterlooville but, on inspection it, they tell me that I need a replacement DIM, No:69294-650T as the 'processor' is beyond repair. The car has done about 135000 miles when I was last able to read the working milometer. Putting it mildly, I am in a jam, any advice / info of how to proceed would be welcome.
Hi,

As with most services there are good and very good BUT there are some companies that could do better. It is worth getting a second opinion.
I have used Volvo Diagnostics (http://volvodiagnostic.com/) twice now and each time the repaired DIM was returned in 3 days from posting. I know Lukas can provide a replacement unit for an additional cost if your unit is beyond repair. Its worth contacting him to check your options.

Good luck
Bob
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 00:42   #422
Ericson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi,

As with most services there are good and very good BUT there are some companies that could do better. It is worth getting a second opinion.
I have used Volvo Diagnostics (http://volvodiagnostic.com/) twice now and each time the repaired DIM was returned in 3 days from posting. I know Lukas can provide a replacement unit for an additional cost if your unit is beyond repair. Its worth contacting him to check your options.

Good luck
Bob
Thanks Bob. I sent volvodiagnostic.com an email explaining and am waiting a reply. I'll keep you posted on how things go.
Ericson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 17:05   #423
Ericson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi,

Good luck
Bob
After communicating with Lukas at VolvoDiagnostic and I sent him the DIM from my Volvo V70 on the 16 Aug, Wednesday. The postman attempted to deliver yesterday (17 Aug) but I just missed him and received it today (19 Aug). I put the DIM back in the car and everything is working perfectly. Just want to say that I am glad I found the contact for Lukas / VolvoDiagnostic on this forum. If you read this Lukas, thank you. Thanks to you too Bob.
Ericson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ericson For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 15:25   #424
middleman

Anyone have these issues with the later ‘Chrome Ring’ clocks? My DIM is intermittent but I’m wondering is it just a loose connection?

More Questions Than Answers...???
middleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 21:14   #425
t4murvi

Default Indicator lights on DIM

So my DIM is on the way out, but I never get round to getting it repaired. MOT is due soon. Does the MOT require the flashing green light & clicky noise when the indicators are on?
The indicators themselves work fine.
t4murvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 23:58   #426
daveyboy58

Default srs airbag service urgent

Hi, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the problem I have with my car, I purchased a 2001 v70 xc, it has 95k on the clock and drives really well, it developed an intermittent fault where the lights on the instrument cluster all went out, no warning lights at all, this didn't seem to affect the drive at all, it also has an srs airbag service urgent warning in the bottom left hand box in the instrument cluster.
Looking on Youtube I found several videos on removing and repairing the cluster and so removed it, I had the soldered joints checked out, some had to be re-soldered but most appeared okay, replaced the cluster and now it all appears to be working properly, on startup all the warning lights go out but the srs airbag service urgent warning is still visible, I used an OBD scanner (it may not be up to the job) but that shows there are no faults, is there an actual service for the airbag system that needs to be done periodically I have never heard of one but that doesn't mean that there isn't one,
thanks in anticipation,
daveyboy58
daveyboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 05:19   #427
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy58 View Post
Hi.......the srs airbag service urgent warning is still visible, I used an OBD scanner (it may not be up to the job) but that shows there are no faults,
daveyboy58
If the OBD scanner you used can't find a code, it doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a code present, the light will probably have come on because the ignition has been turned on with part of the system disconnected due to a dry joint - if the joints have been re-soldered and everything else is functioning normally all you probably need to do is clear the code.

Some scanners will do this eg Autel 802 and Konnwei 809(Autel copies) or if you can find somebody locally with VIDA they'll be able to a find the code if it exists and turn of the warning lamp.

Re air bag service - there is no service cycle as such. When they are initially fitted they have a specified replacement date often as a sticker on the rear door frame - they normally only replaced if they are triggered. They seem to be very reliable far beyond the spec dates.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Mar 10th, 2018 at 05:27.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 11:46   #428
Father Ted
Master Member

I know I'm in the wrong forum, but it is for similar faults.
My main beam indication (blue light) on dash is intermittent.
I have a work around, but I'm wondering if this is the start of the rot.
Does this sound like problems are setting in?

Does anyone know of a wiring diagram ( circuit diagram ) for the DIM?
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 13:33   #429
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Re EWD DIM V70

Hi have tried to attach the wiring diagram as a post to yours for so you could download it & then search for DIM - it seems the pdf attachment may be too large for the server.
However, you can access a full list of the year based Electrical Wiring Diagrams @ https://www.qclt.com/html/volvo_ewd_us_eng/

If you can't find what you want - let me know via the pm system with your address & I'll mail you a physical dvd copy of the EWD up to 2014 if it's of any help.

Cheers
Alan

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Mar 11th, 2018 at 13:50.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 18:54   #430
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
I know I'm in the wrong forum, but it is for similar faults.
My main beam indication (blue light) on dash is intermittent.
I have a work around, but I'm wondering if this is the start of the rot.
Does this sound like problems are setting in?

Does anyone know of a wiring diagram ( circuit diagram ) for the DIM?
A wiring diagram might not be too useful ,
there are only about 5 wires going in all the input signals go in on the two network wires , then you have an earth , a live and possibly live with ignition and a handbrake lever switch input .