Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

This is what an ar$3hole did to my car at Tesco car park

Views : 3512

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2017, 19:21   #21
harveys
Master Member

Here's a link , doesn't say road or carpark but public space..

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/2/made

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170

Last edited by harveys; Aug 19th, 2017 at 19:24.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harveys For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 21:04   #22
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveys View Post
Nice one....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 21:04   #23
Crockers
Premier Member

I blame Brexit.

Seriously I'm sorry to see this but not surprised that the perpetrators are protected.
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 23:38   #24
JGEM

Default Dent removal

I feel your pain - have been driving around for the last 2 and a bit years with a dent in my drivers door caused by a hit and run when my wife had the car parked at a local petrol station and someone backed into her and drove off. Just out of coverage of cameras due to where she was parked (not at the pumps but nearby as she was only there to get milk on a public holiday)

I stripped the door back to an empty shell and took the XC60 around to a few repair places, but due to the dent being adjacent to the intrusion beam in the door the instant dent removal places would not touch it. One of the pictures you show of your door has a small diagonal line and I suspect that may well be creasing of the door skin around the intrusion beam.

I had 2 quotes to repair my door dent - the expensive one was for a door skin replacement, close to $2000. I looked into second hand doors and the car wreckers want about $800 for them, which combined with the cost of a repaint makes it no cheaper than getting a proper repair. I did get a cheapie quote for around $600 to repair it but in the end decided to leave it as is and worry about it when time came to sell. (And even then I'd probably just discount my sell price rather than repair)

Be interesting to see how you get on with your repair - good luck.
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 05:06   #25
TheLeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Sounds a nice idea but would you be willing to personally underwrite the potential situation where the magistrate finds there is no case for Tesco to answer and awards their legal costs against the claimant as this was clearly the case from the start? He could be going in there looking for £1k for a respray and come out with a £10k bill.......
Unlikely to happen because
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeeds View Post
.....with a small claim in the county court, each side pays their own costs.
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 08:56   #26
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeeds View Post
Unlikely to happen because
Not necessarily, the successful party can ask the court to recover their costs, the court is more likely to agree to this if the claim was frivolous...

http://www.aboutsmallclaims.co.uk/wh...-judgment.html
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 11:33   #27
harveys
Master Member

Photobucket. ..

Last edited by harveys; Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:35.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 13:44   #28
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Not necessarily, the successful party can ask the court to recover their costs, the court is more likely to agree to this if the claim was frivolous...

http://www.aboutsmallclaims.co.uk/wh...-judgment.html
True, but a well-prepared case is unlikely to be considered vexatious. County Court Judges do recognise the rights of individuals.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 15:47   #29
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
True, but a well-prepared case is unlikely to be considered vexatious. County Court Judges do recognise the rights of individuals.
I would agree - the point I was trying to make (not very well) is small claims court is mostly for recovering financial injury or losses - and to do that you have to prove that someone is culpable for that loss. In this case I would suggest Tesco's are clearly not responsible for the damage and there is no way you could suggest they are. You could argue that by refusing access to information they may have (CCTV) is obstructing your ability to recover those losses but that does not make them culpable and you cannot seek compensation on a punitive basis - i.e. as a fine.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 17:03   #30
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Unless you've only got 3rd party insurance, put in a claim for it. You've come up with a notional figure of up to £1000, but I can't see your premium increase will be anywhere near that, and if you've got protected discount, it should have relatively little impact.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote