Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intercooled turbo, idle speed leak

Views : 866

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2015, 05:10   #1
Rhoy002

Default Intercooled turbo, idle speed leak

1986 Volvo 240 Intercooled Turbo, Carburettor model. Under cold conditions with, moderate to heavy load unless full choke, or when hot under very heavy load vehicle develops a leak from the idle speed. Turn the vehicle off and back on straight away, leak seals enough for vehicle to run normally. When leak present, vehicle runs idles erratically, stalls unless given throttle, leak coming from idle speed. Used a flat head screwdriver to feel for idle speed adjustment, and no adjustor found, used an inspection camera as well, but hard to see, and no obvious defect. Anyone encountered this type of problem before, before I start pulling carburettor off to get to the idle speed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (119.8 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Rhoy002; Oct 8th, 2015 at 05:17. Reason: Add photo
Rhoy002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 18:54   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Check that the idle solenoid is working properly #11. That's the one adjacent to the hole you mention. Also any of the pipes shown.

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...ssembly=244101
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 23:05   #3
Rhoy002

Thanks for that, I will check this next. It clearly leaks from the idle air when there is a fault as you can see carbon residue around the idle air and on the bonnet shielding, as well as hear it leaking, and if you block the idle air when the fault is present you change how the engine runs, which it does not do when running normally.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 23:43   #4
Rhoy002

Smile The guilty party, maybe.

I was looking through the engine bay with my cousin, currently an Alfa mechanic, and he noticed a hose off the fuel regulator, reconnected the hose and I have put a cabletie around it. Have wound her out to 7 grand on three occasions in the last 12 hours, and started from cold with no repetition of the problem, so fingers crossed its sorted. Family member noted some of the hoses are hard, should have thought to go through all of those myself, so will replace all those in the short term. Picture is of the fuel regulator in question, the guilty hose was the top one now with the black cable tie on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (172.5 KB, 20 views)
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 01:32   #5
Rhoy002

Eventually had the Carburettor rebuilt by someone who new what they were talking about. The leaking port was venting to atmosphere at times, has now be blanked off with an alloy plug and no more problems