Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Articles

Notices

x40 S1 Articles Article posts pertaining to x40 S1 Articles series Volvos

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide : how to change tailgate gas struts

Views : 7894

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 18:02   #1
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Post Guide : how to change tailgate gas struts

I'm guessing this will be the same for any car but I didn't find anything approaching simple instructions or with photos, and it took me a fair bit of head scratching before it all made sense.

you will need:
new gas struts
flat blade screwdriver- small
a prop

at each end of the strut is a plastic nut, around which you'll find a metal clip that acts as a locking mechanism.

Prise off the metal clip with a flat blade screwdriver.

Use a broom handle or similar to prop the hatch open. If you don't, when you remove the struts it'll drop on your head. I used a mop handle and jammed it between a heavy box in the boot and the interior grab handle so it wouldn't slip, and pulled the hatch down a bit so it was jammed pretty tight before I started.

Pull the strut nut away from the metal bolt, you might need to wobble it a bit but it'll come off easily.

Push the new strut back on, bottom end first. You might need to twist it around to fit both ends. Repeat for the other side

photos attached

Link to original thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130113_152559-1196655864.jpg (115.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20130113_1526111236300012.jpg (111.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20130113_152623-1206506848.jpg (110.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20130113_152715-1253031242.jpg (144.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Jan 15th, 2013 at 04:38.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 18:50   #2
DWM
VOC Member

Useful guide and good photos, thank you.
I'd just add:

1. There's no need actually to remove the metal circlip; just pulling it back a little with that flat screwdriver should be enough to enable you to pull the strut off the ball.

2. The bit that says "If you don't, when you remove the struts it'll drop on your head" needs to be in bold capitals for people like me who are inclined to forget the prop when they go out to the car and are too lazy to go back inside to get it, and say to themselves "Oh, surely it'll be all right - can't be as heavy as that..." Oh yes it is. It WILL fall on your head - even with one strut still in place.

Tags
boot, gas, hatch, strut, tailgate