Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Articles

Notices

x40 S1 Articles Article posts pertaining to x40 S1 Articles series Volvos

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to replace the Front Seat Belt

Views : 35265

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2011, 21:28   #1
gatos
Premier Member

Default How to replace the Front Seat Belt

This is a guide of how to replace the drivers seat belt. This is only a guide and I would advice caution when attempting to follow my instructions, as there is a pyrotechnic device at the bottom part of the seatbelt mechanism which is meant to be activated in case of an accident.

Even though we will not be disconnecting any of the SRS cables, I would strongly advice disconnecting the battery and waiting for at least 20 minutes before you start. Also make sure that you have the Stereo security code handy before you disconnect the battery.

First thing to do is to undo the two screws on the drivers trim and lift it up carefully.

Also remove the rear passengers door trim

You need to remove this plastic trim. Easy to take out. There is one clip on the top right hand side of it which releases very easily. See also next photo. Do not remove the screw hoplding the seatbelt yet. We will do so later on.

Remove the lower plastic trim first. release the lower part first and then wiggle it out.

Undo a bit of the inner door seals on both the drivers and rear passengers door frames (see photo). Be a bit careful with the top grey plastic trim. If you just pull it, you may break the plastic clip holding it. The way to remove it is to push gently the lower part towards the front of the car (see arrow) and it will come of the clip. Then move it slightly downwards and take it out. check the next two photos and you will see what I mean

Remove the metal clip from the car frame and put it back in its place on the upper grey trim. You will need to push the two ends of the clip so it is released from the frame

And now the fun bit. You can either remove the whole unit and take it indoors and change the seatbelt, or follow my instructions below. I found this to be easier and faster. Pull out the seatbelt all the way out. When doing so, try to have the part highlighted in the green circle (oval) facing the way I have it on the photo. You will have to pul out the seatbelt from there. The spring mechanism needs to be secured to this position. To do so, I used some electrical tape. I used 3 bits and the mechanism was not moving any more. Use you common sense when doing so and be careful the tape comes undone. If this happens, you will have to rewind the whole rotating mechanism and you will not know how far to go. So whatever you do, make sure you secure it properly. See also next photo of how I secured it.

Once secured, pull out the seatbelt and slide off the pin which is securing it on the rotating spring mechanism. See also next photo

Before you pull out the seatbelt, feed the new seatbelt though the upper plastic trim and have it ready to be fitted to the rotating mechanism.

Pull out the old seatbelt and immediately feed the new one through the gap and secure it with the pin. In order to feed the new seatbelt in, you will have to rotate the spring mechanism about 90 degrees. If you have taped the mechanism the same way I did, it should be able to move in one direction only.

Undo the bolt (size 14 socket), remove the old seatbelt and put the new one in.

Job done. Well you need to put everything back together in the reverse order.

Good luck and if you have any questions, suggestions or better ways to do things, please feel free to comment

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Aug 18th, 2011 at 21:31.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 22:19   #2
stevo48
Premier Member

That is a cracking "how to" guide and it is going to make changing my seatbelt so much easier, thank you.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 22:35   #3
The Improver

Great set of photos there, accompanied by a good script!

I've a couple of questions if I may... have you used a new seat belt for replacement and if so how much did it cost.

I was all waiting from the very beginning of reading that, to expect a piece of red plastic which is hidden behind the plastic cover used to wedge the bottom seat attachment, for something which acts as a safety device. I wonder if it's only for use on different phase models... think I ought to be searching Done a bit of searching and it would appear to be the older phases had a mechanical SIPS system.

Last edited by The Improver; Aug 18th, 2011 at 22:46.
The Improver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 00:52   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Improver View Post
Great set of photos there, accompanied by a good script!

I've a couple of questions if I may... have you used a new seat belt for replacement and if so how much did it cost.

I was all waiting from the very beginning of reading that, to expect a piece of red plastic which is hidden behind the plastic cover used to wedge the bottom seat attachment, for something which acts as a safety device. I wonder if it's only for use on different phase models... think I ought to be searching Done a bit of searching and it would appear to be the older phases had a mechanical SIPS system.
Not sure how the P1 bit looks like i am afraid

I had two spare seatbelts from the car I am breaking. One went to stevo48 and one in my car as my drivers belt was not in the best condition. I was hoping that the rear seatbelts would work too, but they are a bit longer and they have a slightly different lower adaptor on the bottom. I may have one more seatbelt from last year, but I am not sure where it is. If I find it I will pm you. I will post some photos and info tomorrow about the length of the belt and and the shape of the lower metal bit

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Aug 19th, 2011 at 01:00.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 11:24   #5
The Improver

Gatos many thanks for your answers my V40 is a Phase 2, so there aint no RED bit... we're electric. The thread I'd seen the RED bit in was DWM's Retro fitting heated seats and he'd done it on a 97' Phase 1.

I was just trying to prepare myself for future cost of new front belts... I think new ones might take a deep breath before ordering!

It's a shame Volvo didn't design the door pillar covers with a bit more thought... I assume its the sawing action of the belt thro' the plastic that causes the problem, isn't it.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 11:46   #6
gatos
Premier Member

Yes that seems to be the most probable cause. I remember seeing a guide somewhere of how to fit a U shaped metallic sleeve, that would stop both belt and cover getting damaged. Will search around to try to find it

Edited: Found it. 4 forty is the one who did it. Will pm him for photo and how too....

Thread is here:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=9186

Also thanks to Andy_d for pointing out to me the torque settings for the seatbelt bolts. They should be both tightened to 48Nm / 35 foot pounds

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Aug 19th, 2011 at 12:19.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 18:39   #7
stevo48
Premier Member

Fantastic "how to" guide, had my new seatbelt fitted in under thirty minutes, many thanks gatos
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevo48 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 19:27   #8
gatos
Premier Member

Glad I could help...

Nullius in Verba
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 13:50   #9
liberate
I've Been Banned

Cheers mate, it worked a treat and I didn't break a thing.
liberate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 18:34   #10
smashey

I'm over in Ireland and have the same issue with the belt fraying from the trim aperture.

I see a fair number of used passenger side belts on the internet but second hand Drivers side ones are much rarer. Can I use just the belt from one of these near side units as a replacement on the drivers side???
smashey is offline   Reply With Quote