Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Articles

Notices

x40 S1 Articles Article posts pertaining to x40 S1 Articles series Volvos

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to replace the Front Seat Belt

Views : 35266

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 16:16   #21
gatos
Premier Member

Both P1 and P2 seatbelt mechanisms are interchangeable. I tested a P1 seatbelt mechanism on a P2 and vice versa and everything seemed to be working fine. No SRS light came on.

The only one thing that looked different was .......................... the colour of this small part. See the photo below

Above the green highlighted oval, you can see a blue plastic part. On the Phase 2 cars it is blue and on the Phase 1 cars it is black. As I said before both P1 and P2 seatbels are interchangeable.

The only thing to look out for is the buckle. On the late 2003-2004 model, the buckle on them has 2 smaller rectanguler holes instead of the 1 larger rectangular one on the earlier models. Hope this helps

See photos below:

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Jan 8th, 2013 at 16:45.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 18:50   #22
Lou Ferrigno

Thank you Gatos for being so very helpful. I really do appreciate it as I am sure we all do on the forum.
I have just removed the top trim and the item is coloured black so presumably phase 1. Also the buckle has the one square hole.
2 more photos attached.
Actually, with the trim detached, I can make the belt coil back up, but then it is a real pain to pull back out. Just taken me half an hour.
So, the belt is now adjusted perfectly for me again and a strong clip attached on it to keep the setting.

To remove, presumably 1 large bolt at top, 1 bolt below and then a domed bolt which holds the pyro cylinder. I think all torx fittings.

I need a working phase 1 or early phase 2 drivers seat belt. Preferably not frayed although I could swap it with my webbing.

Can anyone help please ?
Lou Ferrigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 18:52   #23
Lou Ferrigno

Sorry, forgot the photos in the above message
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belt_3.jpg (205.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Belt_4.jpg (285.2 KB, 11 views)
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 19:04   #24
gatos
Premier Member

It is Phase 1 one. I think Jabe should still have one left. Try PMing him and see if he does. Or, alternatively, I have one where the pyrotechnic has gone off. The winding mechanism is working fine though. If you want to mess around with it, just let me know and you can have it for free. Just pay the postage

Nullius in Verba
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 21:28   #25
Lou Ferrigno

Thanks for the offer and the advice Gatos but would rather not mess with the pyro asembly. I have sent a pm to Jabe.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 19:41   #26
Lou Ferrigno

Just for interest, I managed to get a phase 2 unit with the blue coloured top.
Removed my phase 1 type with the black coloured top and installed the new unit.
All works perfectly and the check lights all go off as before.
What a pleasure to have the inertia reel effect back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lou Ferrigno For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 21:12   #27
Dagenham Dave

Smile Seat belt Buckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Both P1 and P2 seatbelt mechanisms are interchangeable.

The only thing to look out for is the buckle. On the late 2003-2004 model, the buckle on them has 2 smaller rectangular holes instead of the 1 larger rectangular one on the earlier models. Hope this helps
My S40 2002 has had a seat belt changed by a Volvo dealer sometime ago, long before I found it! the "new" belt has frayed and is now an advisory.

The original belts had the 1 hole type buckle

The "new" belt is the 2 hole type

The good news is that both types fit the early (one hole) stalk. (my NSF belt is one hole and OSF belt is two hole) both fit in either seat stalk and the stalks appear to be original - 1 hole.

Other things I have learnt - the "dealers" fix for frayed seat belts is to trim off the frayed material then singe with a lighter. Remove the belt and turn it over so the other edge of the belt wears. Not sure if its an approved method but there it is.
Dagenham Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 11:55   #28
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

I have broken 2 V40's and had 3, non have had frayed seat belts, but all have been owned by people about 6' tall, looking at design and the way the belt rolls up, if someone shorter drives car, the belt is dragged against the bottom of the trim, and when it recoils doesn't recoil neatly, but coils over part of the lower section of the mechanism, so next time it pulls out, it just rubs more, regardless of size of person

out of interest (but never photographed it or anything) did my non scientific experiment with trim removed, with me sitting in drivers seat, and putting on and off seat belt, and my son, doing the same, the way the belt recoiled with son sitting in car, would have meant it would have heavily dragged on trim recoiling , and when next pulled out, when I sat there, I'm 6' tall, belt recoiled neatly.

Just as another thing worth noting, don't try and uncoil a replacement seat belt, or check mechanism works, until it is fitted in car, as it only works at angle its designed to sit in car, +/- a very few degrees, which is why even when parked on a steep hill, or trying to put on belt whilst moving, they sometimes keep locking.

Last edited by cookie; Sep 12th, 2013 at 11:57. Reason: added a bit
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 21:50   #29
pds

Great guide, this will be helpful

The driver's seat belt in my S40 got stuck, not going in or out. I am looking for used ones on ebay(uk), but I am afraid it wont fit, since I am in Portugal(LHD) and the ones that I find in ebay are obviously from RHD cars.

Does a passenger seat belt from a RHD car fit on the driver side of LHD car?
pds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 13:26   #30
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pds View Post
Great guide, this will be helpful

The driver's seat belt in my S40 got stuck, not going in or out. I am looking for used ones on ebay(uk), but I am afraid it wont fit, since I am in Portugal(LHD) and the ones that I find in ebay are obviously from RHD cars.

Does a passenger seat belt from a RHD car fit on the driver side of LHD car?
Yes, you are right a passenger seatbelt from a RHD car will be identical to the driver's seatbelt on a LHD car.

Nullius in Verba