Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise from oil filler cap - Vacuum leak

Views : 11846

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2015, 21:07   #1
Nickthecook

Default Noise from oil filler cap - Vacuum leak

Definitely have a vacuum issue that's causing slightly rough idle and a lot of extra engine noise. This is most noticable when you take the oil filler cap off. Pumped the brakes a few times and the noise vanishes, only to return a second or two later. I'm also getting some noise from the turbo area that resotates up to the air box.

Does anybody know if the vnt actuator could somehow be the source of the vacuum leak and the pop, pop sound from the turbo area? Both sounds vanish at about 1500-2000rpm. I know about the issue with the lifters on the early Euro4 engines and possible valve blow by. However, when I briefly get rid of the engine noise from the vac leak, there is very little tappet noise. The pop, pop still remains, though. It does die down significantly if the engine's given a good reving, but gradually returns after 60secs.

The turbo spools up fine and the car drives well, with no warnings from the computer. It had a new vac pump two years ago, before I owned the vehicle. Garage doesn't have a vac gauge, but said will borrow one to test the system tomorrow.

Last edited by Nickthecook; Feb 17th, 2015 at 21:10.
Nickthecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 14:38   #2
5cilinder
Premier Member

That sound is caused by the vacuumpomp wich has a leak somewhere in the circuit ,when the leak is solved sound is away
Provided that the sound is comming from the oilfillercap

Its methodicly testing the hoses and boxes on leaks : enginemounts could leak ,if they are leaking than sucking creates bublingsounds because they are filled with antifreeze
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 15:04   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthecook View Post
Definitely have a vacuum issue that's causing slightly rough idle and a lot of extra engine noise. This is most noticable when you take the oil filler cap off. Pumped the brakes a few times and the noise vanishes, only to return a second or two later. I'm also getting some noise from the turbo area that resotates up to the air box.

Does anybody know if the vnt actuator could somehow be the source of the vacuum leak and the pop, pop sound from the turbo area? Both sounds vanish at about 1500-2000rpm. I know about the issue with the lifters on the early Euro4 engines and possible valve blow by. However, when I briefly get rid of the engine noise from the vac leak, there is very little tappet noise. The pop, pop still remains, though. It does die down significantly if the engine's given a good reving, but gradually returns after 60secs.

The turbo spools up fine and the car drives well, with no warnings from the computer. It had a new vac pump two years ago, before I owned the vehicle. Garage doesn't have a vac gauge, but said will borrow one to test the system tomorrow.
The vacuum pump noise which is noticable when you take the oil cap off when idling is quite normal .. the pump sucks air from the servo , it has to get rid of it somewhere , it exits out the back of the pump into the cam cover area .. you will hear it from any D5 to the present day .
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 17:09   #4
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The vacuum pump noise which is noticable when you take the oil cap off when idling is quite normal .. the pump sucks air from the servo , it has to get rid of it somewhere , it exits out the back of the pump into the cam cover area .. you will hear it from any D5 to the present day .
When yhere is a leak ther is a lot to dispose ,hence the noise
Without leak no/litle air to dispose and no noise (with my engine at least)
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 18:01   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
When yhere is a leak ther is a lot to dispose ,hence the noise
Without leak no/litle air to dispose and no noise (with my engine at least)
all the D5's i have heard when running with the oil filler cap off have a constant loud popping noise coming from within . also quite a lot of crankcase smoke rises out .
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 18:21   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
all the D5's i have heard when running with the oil filler cap off have a constant loud popping noise coming from within . also quite a lot of crankcase smoke rises out .
Hi Clan.
Mine has this plus smoke at the dipstick at hot idle and the filler and dipstick tube will keep a latex glove inflated at idle but the smoke and "pops" disappear and create suction on the glove from about 1500rpm.
Is this normal?
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 18:23   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Hi Clan.
Mine has this plus smoke at the dipstick at hot idle and the filler and dipstick tube will keep a latex glove inflated at idle but the smoke and "pops" disappear and create suction on the glove from about 1500rpm.
Is this normal?
the smoke is normal even on new cars ... i have never revved one with the oil filler cap off so you are probably right . when idling the popping is constant ..
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 11:09   #8
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Hi Clan.
Is this normal?
Ofcourse
The reason smoke is comming out at idle is that the breathervalve is shut because there is no pressure difference due to the open hole where the gasses follow the path of least resistance , the moment there is pressuredifference it opens due to 1 crankcasepressure or 2 turbo suction or both
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 11:15   #9
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
I know that, but mine is silent when i blinded off a leak ,namely the egr cooler bypassvale is vacuum controlled and is used at warmup mine was broke after fixing it the vacuumpump is very silent

If you state that the popping sound is excess air wich is plausible then there has to be a leak somewhere at the vacuumside to provide that excess air
Without leaks no or much less air and hence less popping sound
Sounds logicall with your own reasoning

When i have time ill post a clip with the sound difference with or without leak
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 01:58   #10
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post

When i have time ill post a clip with the sound difference with or without leak
As promised:

Right after cold start