Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS control unit repair

Views : 146570

Replies : 256

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2009, 07:56   #151
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

Smile

Hi, I would like to thank everyone in this tread for the good information,
On Sunday I took the module out and soldered the joints, turned out to be quite an easy job. I would recommend it as a first port of call if your tracs light is coming on and off, after reading all the posts I was quite confident that this was the cure. So far no lights and car went through the MOT with no problems. Thanks again, Ian
ian ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 11:34   #152
Vee70

For what it's worth, I've noticed a very similar problem that affects Jaguars too. My XJ8 has the "stability control fail" warning light on most of the time and so I recently found a "how-to" to fix it.

Jag Lovers

It seems to be very similar to what has been mentioned here. Perhaps the ABS units were assembled in Taiwan for both cars ?

I thought I would only need the saw, soldering iron, glue, clamp for the Jag but perhaps it'll come in handy for the Volvo too ?
Vee70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 17:51   #153
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

There are similar problems for VW owners with Ate control modules.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 11:57   #154
Zanx

For the record, this kit contains E14 down to E4 torx sockets.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ric-socket-set
Zanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 17:45   #155
Zanx

I would also like to thank everyone who has posted here. I've just done mine on the S80 T6, whether it works or not is somethng else, but it must be said that trying to do it without removing the airbox is a waste of time. Also, try and get someone with skinny forearms to get the ABS box off.

The two main input solder joints were obviously not right, they looked frizzed and rough, a quick dab with a bit of solder had them looking like new, I also wizzed over any other points that looked large enough to take the heat, but I don't really think the problem stems from them, it's the main ones that take bigger current and so degrade the joint.

Opening the box was a pain though, trying to do it without damaging it seems to be impossible, I ended up just nibbling the flanges off the edge with a steel rule, getting it in, bending it back till the flanges snapped off, then again on the inner flanges. Be VERY careful if you do this though, once you start nibbling away at the inner flange, a slip with the tool can trash the unit. It's only silicone hoding it on but it's a pig to shift.

I'll refit tomorrow and see how it all goes.

Thank again.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 14:10   #156
Zanx

Well it worked! All codes gone, traction control is now switchable and all the lights have gone out. Well pleased.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 00:01   #157
scoffbelly
Scoffbelly

Default My ABS light is on too, see star socket set link 50% off

I just bought a 23 bit star socket set from screwfix,

Its on offer £17.99 down to £8.99

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36856/...-Bit-Set-23Pcs

Hopefully all set for the diy repair
scoffbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 11:16   #158
scoffbelly
Scoffbelly

Default abs light still on after diy repair

Just spent yesterday doing the diy repair. I've just refitted and taken my c70 out for a spin and sadly the abs light remains on. Shame was worth a go. At least I didnt pay for an exchange unit if its not the unit at fault. I'm going to disconnect the battery now for 30 mins and see if it clears, but that's a long shot.

Back to the drawing board and probably to a garage as not sure where I go from here ? Maybe needs a new pump, or senso.....r or the abs controller has a fault beyond a bad solder joint ?
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 12:12   #159
Clan
Experienced Member

What was the stroed fault code ? That would give an idea as to the next step ...
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 20:56   #160
scoffbelly
Scoffbelly

Default P1550

Thanks Clan, I have P1550 ?