Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where to place axle stands when removing subframe

Views : 562

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 14:03   #1
adiosboss

Default Where to place axle stands when removing subframe

Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered already but I can't find a solution anywhere.

I was wondering where you can place axle stands on a 2004 P2 V70 when removing or lowering the subframe. Usually when working underneath the car I place the stands on the metal triangle-ish plate that runs between the corner of the subframe and the floor. Because this is where the subframe is mounted I can't use it in this case so I want to be sure the stands are in a safe place when not using the usual spot.

My power steering is playing up and I'm just planning ahead in case it is the rack that has gone and the subframe needs dropping but I think it would also be useful to know for future reference.

Thanks in advance
adiosboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 15:15   #2
CricketyJimin

When I did mine, I put the stands as close as possible to the mounting points for the triangle you mention at the back of the subframe while still being able to lower the frame.

Since it needs to be very high to work under, I raised it and spread the weight with several pieces of decking off-cuts found at the back of the garage...
CricketyJimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 21:21   #3
b1mcp

I don't use axle stands as I have a 2 post lift, but the principle is the same.

Use the Sill seam. That's what garages, tyre fitters etc will use.

I'd suggest getting an appropriate rubber top adapter for your stands for safety and to prevent any damage to the sills.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-07-02_211524.jpg (263.5 KB, 73 views)
Old Jul 3rd, 2021, 14:06   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mcp View Post
I don't use axle stands as I have a 2 post lift, but the principle is the same.

Use the Sill seam. That's what garages, tyre fitters etc will use.

I'd suggest getting an appropriate rubber top adapter for your stands for safety and to prevent any damage to the sills.

whats the extra long subframe bolt for ? just interested.....
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2021, 14:29   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I asked the same question a while back.. you replace your 4 bolts with those studs, then wind down the upper nuts and it lowers the sub frame but stops it dropping too far if you do all four at the same time I suppose

bottom nut I presume just there to lock the other one in place or for extra strength when working underneath?

ingenious

on a side note I would also like one of those rubber jack adaptor pad things.. poweflex do them: https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-...or+/13328.html but I can't see a volvo specific on one there

I've not seen any specifically for axle stands, but for me I would just get a garage to do anything to do with subframes, just for this reason

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jul 3rd, 2021 at 14:37.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2021, 18:07   #6
oragex
Premier Member

As explained above, but do this very CAREFULLY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vehv1_mvCFQ
Old Jul 3rd, 2021, 21:00   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

great idea the simple fixes are always the best . those poly jack pads are available for axel stands also in various shapes and sizes
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote