Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

c70 roof assembly replacement ???

Views : 1489

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2019, 16:49   #11
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi Jaimster,

I haven't studied my rear window yet. I was hoping I could just reattach it, but maybe it wont be that simple.

Steve
The main problem is that the rear window is heat-sealed, under pressure, into place with some special fixative. There are some companies out there who will 'make a repair'; or exchange the roof for a 'refurbished one' but they basically make it a 'pocket' window and I suspect that they would not be very weatherproof or secure. And I've not heard of any good reports of somebody finding a non-Volvo place doing the job.

After all, Volvo designed them to be heat-sealed for a reason. And I suspect that good tension being imparted on the canvas is one of them?

A good Volvo garage can fit and 'recalibrate' the roof - if you can get one (at a cost); or if you can get hold of just the canvas (needs to be perfect!), they can remove the existing one and fit the new one. But having chatted to my indy and seen the instructions on his computer for doing that job, they both look like a time-consuming (and, hence, expensive) job.

And I don't see it being possible as a d.i.y. job because of the necessity for proper fitting and recalibration.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.

Last edited by christheancient; Feb 1st, 2019 at 16:52.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 02:22   #12
jaimster

so I decided to go for it …

my son and I swapped the roof las saturday , NOT to bad as far the removal

- rear seat panels , rear seat removed . before disconnecting the roof

I looked at new roof as far where the motor's gear position was when it was removed

opened the car's bad roof to matched the same position to the motor's gear on the good roof .

had to splice all the wiring since the one I got from junk yard had splice wires

wire nutted all connections .

activated roof it looked good in the beginning them the rear window area stayed open , the boot its almost closed all the way .

it so happens the driver side window was down with a bad regulator before I got started on the project , i should have that replaced this weekend

I wonder if window been down can affect the functioning of the top ???
jaimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 19:45   #13
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimster View Post
so I decided to go for it …

my son and I swapped the roof las saturday , NOT to bad as far the removal

- rear seat panels , rear seat removed . before disconnecting the roof

I looked at new roof as far where the motor's gear position was when it was removed

opened the car's bad roof to matched the same position to the motor's gear on the good roof .

had to splice all the wiring since the one I got from junk yard had splice wires

wire nutted all connections .

activated roof it looked good in the beginning them the rear window area stayed open , the boot its almost closed all the way .

it so happens the driver side window was down with a bad regulator before I got started on the project , i should have that replaced this weekend

I wonder if window been down can affect the functioning of the top ???
The rear cover needs to fully close before the rear window part of the roof will close - I would check the operation of the cover for any obstructions etc, not sure where the micro switches are for that part of the operation, but it could be a dodgy micro switch. The door window being down would not affect the operation of the roof.

Once you have checked for obvious obstructions, if the roof still does not work correctly I think it may be a recalibration that is needed.

I do hope you get it sorted.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 02:18   #14
jaimster

thanks ITSv40 ..

I m gonna check for any obstruction i don't see anything obvious obstructing !
i remembered first time cover close on the back - one of those small U bend brackets that goes into the boot opening was missing on the new roof . i know it takes two of those pieces . wondering if that effected it .

can i reset the computer ? will that even do anything …

i called the dealership here in the states . they estimated would probably take
an hour and half to get it to calibration 160/hr !
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 12:55   #15
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Jaimster,

Hope are you are making good progress. Thanks for letting us know, we can all learn.

Did you know about how to open the top manually? There are two 1 inch round cutouts in the upright section of carpet in the trunk which with a torx bit will let you wind the mechanism by hand.

There is a special tool which would have come with the car when new, but you don't really need it.

I don't have full instructions to hand.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 00:15   #16
jaimster

Smile

hi Steve,

you have no idea how much we appreciate you guys suggestions |

i did opened the trunk few days ago , the car does not came with them

i did tried turning the left hex bolt to the left - didn't do any thing

maybe have turn the set screw more turns !
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 09:19   #17
SteveSarre
Premier Member

One of the holes takes a Torx screw. Rotating that many times slowly moves the roof.
I think the other hole engages or disengages the electrically operated system, so you should do that before you use the Torx.

I'll see if I can find instructions.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 09:29   #18
ITSv40
VOC Member

There is a set sequence for manually opening and closing the roof. Also the roof has to be manually helped as the tools are used to wind the mechanism. It is a two man job given the weight of the roof assembly.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 12:13   #19
SteveSarre
Premier Member

This looks useful for '99, probably the same up 2005

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/.../99c70c_27.htm

Also read
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=231184

Steve

Last edited by SteveSarre; Feb 9th, 2019 at 12:15.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 00:50   #20
jaimster

hey guys .

so after taking some time off from the car , i finally started working on the car again . decided to take it to the dealer - they gave me a price quote to start with close to a thousand dollars which would include soldering of all the splice/ connections more trouble shooting .
i just used wire nuts on the connections my bad ! that's just labor parts not included . i asked if they could just close it so they did 327.00 total on that .. at least is close no water can get in there.. now the third brake light its out in the boot cover
to get to it i m gonna have to pull the cover out again .. i cant win