Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

loose steering wheel

Views : 21492

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 15:32   #11
vargaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTommyC View Post
Guys, just found the guide. Have a look here (I take no responsibility for the link, or for the contents existing or being accurate over time, and apologize for solving the case if the forum won't accept useful links. ).

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...8140-1/NOTHING
Thanks for the guide. I used it to tighten my 2004 Volvo XC90 (US model) 4-spoke steering wheel. I released the locking spring with a small flat-head screw driver (no Torx screws on my model). Note that you'll need an 18 mm socket, 6 in socket extension, and torque wrench to tighten down the bolt.
vargaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 16:59   #12
vargaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargaja View Post
Thanks for the guide. I used it to tighten my 2004 Volvo XC90 (US model) 4-spoke steering wheel. I released the locking spring with a small flat-head screw driver (no Torx screws on my model). Note that you'll need an 18 mm socket, 6 in socket extension, and torque wrench to tighten down the bolt.
Incidentally, my 6 CD player displayed a "Deck Error" the first time we tried to play a CD in the unit after fixing the loose steering wheel (likely as a result of disconnecting the battery). The CD player would not load or eject any of the CDs in the unit, but the radio functioned normally. There was also a faint hum coming from the changing mechanism.

The following day, I removed the fuse for the Infotainment system (#20 10A) and keyed the ignition switch to I, then turned off the car and replaced the fuse. After keying the ignition switch once again, the CD player reset itself and is now functional again.
vargaja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vargaja For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2013, 17:17   #13
mdhomes

Default Loose steering wheel

There is play in my steering wheel turning the wheel in both directions approximately 1/4". I brought my 2004 XC90 to the dealer to have the steering wheel bolt tightened and they told me that it was not the that but I needed a new steering rack. I already replaced the steering rack 5 years ago. How is it possible that a $53,000.00 car needs a steering rack every 5 years? Maybe my problem is as simple as tightening the bolt on the wheel. Any thoughts?
mdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 18:20   #14
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhomes View Post
There is play in my steering wheel turning the wheel in both directions approximately 1/4". I brought my 2004 XC90 to the dealer to have the steering wheel bolt tightened and they told me that it was not the that but I needed a new steering rack. I already replaced the steering rack 5 years ago. How is it possible that a $53,000.00 car needs a steering rack every 5 years? Maybe my problem is as simple as tightening the bolt on the wheel. Any thoughts?
Would try that first.

Having used this forum to find out information on how to replace my intercooler rad, and how to fix my loose steering wheel on my Volvo xc90. I thought I would give something back by posting how I fixed the loose steering wheel.
First I disconnected the battery and removed the upper cover on the steering column– nice and easy just clips off
Use the steering column adjustment lever to extend and lower the steering wheel to give you a little more space to work
There are two small holes located at the back of the steering wheel (need to turn wheel a quarter turn to access the holes)
Now place a smallish flat head screw driver into the hole.
What you are trying to do is release a spring loaded clip, the clip is a circular spring with part of the spring cutting through the diameter/centre of itself.
There are two bolts which are fixed to the back of the airbag/horn pad, and the two cone shaped bolts have a lug which slide inside the centre of the spring and the piece of the spring cutting through the centre latches into the corn shape blots, this is what you are trying release!
(of course you can’t see any of this, until you have removed the airbag/horn pad! )
Push screw driver in as far as pos. then push up on the screw driver handle which will lower the end of the screwdriver (like lifting a lever) hopefully this should compress the spring and release corn shape bolt. You need to be pulling on the airbag/horn pad module at the same time. Repeat with the other bolt. Lots of fiddling/ trial and error it should work!
The large nut holding the wheel in place was so loose that I could undo it with my fingers!
Worrying fault- I thought volvo’s were meant to be safe!!
I will up load some photos which I hope will help

Last edited by GJB; May 1st, 2013 at 18:24. Reason: Extra info
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:39   #15
joemc99

I had the same issue. Before you buy a new rack, check both the nut on the steering wheel, and the bolts on the coupling. Remove the boot where the column goes through the bulkhead, tighten both bolts (awkward but doable).....
joemc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joemc99 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 13:54   #16
acoloreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemc99 View Post
I had the same issue. Before you buy a new rack, check both the nut on the steering wheel, and the bolts on the coupling. Remove the boot where the column goes through the bulkhead, tighten both bolts (awkward but doable).....

I think that may be my issue. I just spend 20 minutes, in 15 degree F weather here in New York USA to check the steering wheel. And no, it was not loose. So I guess I should check the connection at the rack?
acoloreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 14:53   #17
s60AJ

Smile Loose Steering Wheel - S60 2004 - Success!

Hi guys,

This post helped me no end, plus a video off youtube. I had a case of a wobbly steering wheel, pretty much overnight!

I removed the negative terminal of the battery, put the key in position 1.
Turned the wheel a quarter turn, with a relatively short screwdriver I unclipped the first side, took a bit of practice but it came out nicely. Turned the wheel the other way and did the same. The airbag unit came out easily enough.

The bolt holding the steering wheel, took the socket to it and the steering wheel is now solid again. Clipped the airbag unit back into place, put the key in the second position, reconnected the negative terminal to the battery and all was well. Turned the car over (on second attempt).

I still have no idea why it became loose, bought the car back in April, seemed fine until Saturday.

Last edited by s60AJ; Dec 7th, 2015 at 14:57.
s60AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 20:42   #18
wrt132890

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTommyC View Post
Guys, just found the guide. Have a look here (I take no responsibility for the link, or for the contents existing or being accurate over time, and apologize for solving the case if the forum won't accept useful links. ).

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...8140-1/NOTHING
This was a great find. Took me longer to find the rachet and socket, than it did to remove airbag and tighten the wheel. While I had it open, I went ahead and removed bolt and applied locktite. I didn't have an 18mm so I used 3/4.
wrt132890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 11:56   #19
motor gurzzi

i have read the problems and fixes for volvo loose steering wheels with various answers some complicated some not, this is what i found when doing mine.

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal

2. The 2 holes on the wheel surround hide the attachment screws which are torx head
screws

3. Use a proper torx 30 screwdriver theyre not dear to buy, if you use a bit on a
a multidriver you risk damaging the screw head and risk not being able to release the
air bag unit

4. To gain access to the holes i connected the negative lead and started the engine
rotating the wheel to drivers side of the car ,when in correct position i disconnected
the lead.

4. These screws are tight make sure the head is correctly inserted into the screw and
apply a lot of pressure to the head of screw (I HAD APPLY A SMALL ADJUSTABLE TO
THE SCREWDRIVER BODY TO GAIN ENOUGH LEVERAGE TO BACK OFF THE SCREW)

5. Repeat the procedure again for the second screw. (with negative disconnected)

6. The air bag unit is a simple 2 hole and 2 pin location and can be moved away from
steering column i held my unit with a tie wrap on the left side of the steering
wheel, there was no need to disconnect connections, then with an 18mm socket and
tie bar i tightened the retaining nut, clipped the tie wrap and relocated the airbag
unit.

7. refasten screws as above job done
motor gurzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 23:05   #20
Lickydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
Push screw driver in as far as pos. then push up on the screw driver handle which will lower the end of the screwdriver (like lifting a lever) hopefully this should compress the spring and release corn shape bolt. You need to be pulling on the airbag/horn pad module at the same time. Repeat with the other bolt. Lots of fiddling/ trial and error it should work!

hope this helps anyone who has the same problem (a loose steering wheel)
Thanks to this sage advice, I just did the same, took me a while to understand that the clip to lever is from the outside of the wheel to the centre, so the advice to lever up is correct as long as you are working with the wheel bang on 90 degrees. Felt amazing when it released! And yes, mine was loose... 2004 XC90 with 110K on the clock. One you see it it's really common sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSX_20190322_220235.jpg (124.3 KB, 18 views)
Lickydog is offline   Reply With Quote