Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Articles

Notices

700/900 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the P700/900 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to add a Coolant loss light to your 940

Views : 8312

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 00:20   #1
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Default How to add a Coolant loss light to your 940

Ok, Took me an hour, and about £10 to sort this out with my 940- Had a look into it and Had a go myself.
Inventory-
One Coolant bottle off a 960 With integral float switch and connector. (cleaned with caustic soda)
The Dash connector off a 960 With about 4" of cable spare (made that mistake cutting it too short)
Connector block
Cable connector (as much off the car as you can) With earth connector and about 1' of the GREY/ORANGE wire that connects the loom to the coolant bottle connector, (be prepared to remove a fair amount of cable cowling, tie wraps), Try and cut cable as close to the bulkhead of the car as you then have a lot to play about with if you mess things up.
About 3' of mains cable or cable that can take at the most 5Amps. (I cheated used 2 lengths)
Bulbs (there is a getby to this and a standard modification to be done here)
[align=center]
This Only applies to the Yazaki Instrument panel, I will try and write up for other makes of panel.[/align]

Ok Start by dismantling the Dashboard-Depress the clips left and right of dash clocks on the metal surround.

Remove the 4 screws of the clock assembly,
Slowly pull out the clock assembly
Disconnect the turbo boost vacuum pipe (if applicable)
Remove the 3 multi pin connectors, and disconnect the earth terminal,
Pull the clock assy away,

Flip it over and look on the other side, you will notice that there are a few bulbs missing from the back of your clocks, Using a flashlight, turn over the clocks and flash the light into the empty holes, Identify the holder for the coolant loss light, It will be a red filter
Like this
I used the Overdive '5th gear' bulb, removed it and placed it in the holder, Save you looking, This is it

Right thats the clocks prepared for the modification, However, now the clocks are out, Why not renew the tired 2.5w main bulbs (the black holders) and fit 5w bulbs (much brighter).

Now to the wiring,
The earth terminal is located behind the airbox on turbo models Hidden here

Its easier if you remove the top of the airbox assy

Its just behind my finger, Bolted to the bodywork, Plug the earth wire from the connector (black one) of the coolant sensor loom into the earth block (clean it with wire brush first, then after attaching earth connector, spray with silicone grease)

Drain, and remove the old coolant bottle, renew jubilee clip,
and place the new(ish) coolant bottle, (fish not included)

and plug the coolant bottle sensor light into the loom you fitted, Tidy the earth wiring into the Cable ties, refit the airbox, making sure you don't crimp the wires, Now the orange/grey wire, Strip it back and either (botch) fit connector block to one end or (Pro) Fit a spade connector/Crimp connector.
Slight challenging part now,
Feeding the length of seperate cable through the Bulkhead, 2 options,
One is to pass it through the main harness weathershield, Here:

Or there is a spare piece of tubing (I used to fit the boost gauge vacuum pipe through, Cheating again!)Here:

Once its pushed through, Using plastic rod with cable taped to it, or if in case of the spare tube I used, push it through. And you can see it in the cab, pull it through so you have a bit to work on, Its circled- thats where the wiring loom comes out, plus that spare tube.

Now take that connector that you cut off the donor car,
Me being over zealout at the time Cut too much off, and working too fast before I decided I could make a how of this removed the cable so this picture is probably useless but due to the wonders of photobucket, I added the pin that you need to remove, Its the orange grey cable,

to remove it, Open the tabs at the top of the clip and swing the plastic clip open, now with a small flat head screwdriver, depress the plastic piece in the middle of the metal pin, and gently pull, the cable should come out, with no harsh force whatsoever, if its hard to pull you need to push the plastic clip in a bit more, try an Argos pen or William hill Pen.
With that connector out, Look at the multi plug that it came out of, and match it up to the one that is in your dash, Like this one, I believe its the middle one according to this picture:

Now, If you look at the plug that should go there, Open the plastic tabs and lift the hinge open, Looking at this wiring picture, you should see it goes next to the green one, See if you can see which one it is with my amazing wiring skills!!
from the bottom:

From the top :

Dress the cable that you passed through the bulkhead so it doesnt foul with the steering or that it chafes against anything,
I passed mine over the heater duct.

Now strip the cable that you attached to that connector, Attach it to the cable that you passed through the bulkhead, (crimp or solder/heatshrink or Botch connector block it to the cable. Like above pictures.

Re attach the plugs to the dash clocks, and place the dash into the aperture, dont push it in yet.
Back to the engine bay, now attach the cable that you passed though the bulkhead, to the orange grey cable connector from the bottle sensor, Dress it and put it into the wiring loom ducting, You are all set for testing.

Turn the ignition on and look at the dash clocks, there should be a new bulb lighting with all the others.
Start the engine, If you have filled up the coolant bottle, then the bulb should extinguish, If you haven't Don't panic that there is no coolant in the bottle and there is a Coolant low light appearing on the dash clock, Top up the coolant and watch it go out, If you DID fill up the bottle, Get a turkey baster, and remove some of the coolant, then look in the cab. Voila!

Not bad for a first how to, and playing with photobucket.

Last edited by monkeh; Feb 11th, 2009 at 00:42.
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:43   #2
jor
VOC 20573

Thanks for taking the trouble to record the procedure. It's threads like this that make a forum worthwhile. Presumably it will get shifted to the 900 articles section.

jor
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jor For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 14:46   #3
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Indeed, I'll leave it up here for a while to let it get some exposure and then move it over to the 'articles' section later.

I think this article is the kind of thing that Chris Wickers is looking for to go in the Owners Club magazine. I'd be tempted to e-mail him a copy in 'Word' form if I were you.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 01:55   #4
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Should point out as well, Upon removing the old coolant bottle, I think I may have found my slow coolant leak, The bottom of the bottle disintegrated!! Probably poor coolant caused the metal ring inside to rust and expand causing the plastic to crack. Haven't lost coolant now! Lets see what happens.
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote