Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Price of a new conversion LPG

Views : 3771

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2011, 10:45   #1
LPTkim
Phase 1 2.5T called Olive

Default Price of a new conversion LPG

Hi all ,
Have been making some enquires as to where and how much...some results from my emails.....

Hi My car is a VolvoV70 1998 2.5T 5 cylinder 20V
> Questions
> 1, What would be the dimenions of the dougnut tank and its volume
> 2, The car now averages 25mpg, what range would the gas tank give me
> approximately
> 3, Will the £1000.00 be inclusive
> 4, At around 5K and 10K miles per year what would the capital recovery
> time be estimated at.

Very Quick answers,
Hello Kim,

Thank you for your inquiry.

There is a choice of two lpg tanks, 680x20 69 ltrs capacity or 680x270 84 ltrs capacity.

MPG drops about 10% on LPG compared to that of petrol.

Yes our price is £1000.00 inc.VAT

To recoup the initial outlay you would need to do 8-10K miles

Please feel free to call us on 01443 812893 to discuss it further or to make a booking

Hope this helps

Best regards

Andrew

Link http://www.professautogas.co.uk/ there, it would seem that at a Grand, it would make it all a bit sweeter Kim
LPTkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 18:48   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Please be cautious when selecting your LPG conversion.

My car is a VolvoV70 1998 2.5T 5 cylinder 20V
> Questions
> 1, What would be the dimenions of the dougnut tank and its volume. A 60 litre doughnut tank with a true 50 litre capacity will fit in the spare wheel well. A larger tank may need the floor to be raised. A cylinder tank would take up boot space. You need to look at the options before deciding
> approximately. You'll get somewhere between 20 and 22mpg at that rate. If your petrol V70 is only doing 25mpg then it's either a bit poorly or your right boot's a bit heavy! My V70 2.5 10v CD auto does 25mpg on LPG, and nearer 30mpg on petrol.
> 3, Will the £1000.00 be inclusive. £1000 for a conversion is a very competitive quote, and much lower than the market price. Get it in writing, and read the small print. Also, ask for evidence of other happy customers. It may well be a true bargain, but it'll be wise to get at least one other quote.
> time be estimated at. Running on LPG will save you around 5p per mile at this level. So in order to recover your £1000 you'll need to drive around 20,000 miles. This part of the calculation is critical, so meausre your current petrol mpg accurately to be absolutely certain of your facts.

Other considerations: Turbo-charged cars may need an upper-cylinder lubricant system, and you need to take advice on this and budget accordingly. You also need to allow for up to 3 days of work to convert your V70. Be sure you know where the filler, tank and control switch will be placed, as these could have a critical bearing on the look of the car.

Finally, find out which make of LPG system your installer is proposing to fit, and then check out the makers websites. Ask on here if anyone else has the same system fitted to their V70.

How do I know these things? Well my V70 was converted to LPG six years and almost 200,000 miles ago. It's been a brilliant success, but I'd say to anyone thinking of going LPG - DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST!

Good luck with the conversion.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 22:43   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The system Profess use is the AC Stag electronics with valtek injectors and tomasseto vapouriser. It is a mixture of pretty much the cheapest components available.

The Stag system does work pretty well when set up correctly. I have had a few cars in with stag systems recently that have lost the memory and need resetting up. Other than that the stag is ok.

Valtek injectors are not very good. Personaly I'd not fit them to my lawnmower let alone a car. The Rail injectors they also sometime use are better but VERY noisy. Best injectors are Kein, Magic, Matrix and OMVL are pretty good.

The tomaseto vapouriser works fine on small engine but no good for anything with some go. You would need to use something like OMVL, prins, KME or Magic3.

The 98 engine has no need for flashlube so no need to worry about that.

Tank wise from experiance there is no way a 680 diameter tank will fit. A 630 goes in nice giving 72ltrs or with some mods to the wheel well a 650 will squeeze in giving 77ltrs. You only get an 80% fill as you need expansion space.

I'd do a bit more research and find out exactly what componets they will be fitting and If they are confident that the car will run on LPG all the the rev range without switching back to petrol.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 23:25   #4
Pandamedic
Master Member

My old 1999 v70 2.5T was fitted with LPG in Birmingham

60L doughnut tank (50L useable) and used the latest multi sequence Dream xxi OMVL ( http://www.omvlgas.it/eng/home.html )setup. Cost £1200 and the guys fitted it in a day for me. Did a brilliant job as i stayed the whole day with them and bless them, when they started they didn't stop until it was done. Not even for a cup tea or lunch.

as for mpg. check out this other thread as i've posted figures for you all to look at

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=112356&page=2

you're engine should be the same and doesn't need the flash lube system as the value seats are hardened on this car, but fitting one does not harm that i know off.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 23:28   #5
gdphillips
ba baracus...

i have a tank.......not going to be used as the lpg is to old.......early set up....had it on 850t5 2.3 ......open to offers

Last edited by gdphillips; Jan 19th, 2011 at 23:36.
gdphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 18:50   #6
M D E
Master Member

Here's my 10pence worth ...(found on page 2 on the LPG forum)

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73941
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 13:20   #7
V70 Geoff
A Volvo is essential

Red face LPG Not Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTkim View Post
Hi all ,
Have been making some enquires as to where and how much...some results from my emails.....

Hi My car is a VolvoV70 1998 2.5T 5 cylinder 20V
> Questions
> 1, What would be the dimenions of the dougnut tank and its volume
> approximately
> 3, Will the £1000.00 be inclusive
> time be estimated at.

Very Quick answers,
Hello Kim,

Thank you for your inquiry.

There is a choice of two lpg tanks, 680x20 69 ltrs capacity or 680x270 84 ltrs capacity.

MPG drops about 10% on LPG compared to that of petrol.

Yes our price is £1000.00 inc.VAT

To recoup the initial outlay you would need to do 8-10K miles

Please feel free to call us on 01443 812893 to discuss it further or to make a booking

Hope this helps

Best regards

Andrew

Link http://www.professautogas.co.uk/ there, it would seem that at a Grand, it would make it all a bit sweeter Kim
Kim,
I have 2 Volvos converted to LPG, V70 2.5T and a T5 with 15,000 miles and 60,000 miles covered respectively since conversion. I don't know where the figures quoted come from in 2011. My 2 systems are OMVL Dream and Prinz, both multi point and both cost £1600 a pop. My V70 2.5T does a very steady 24.5 MPG on petrol with mixed local and medium distance running. On LPG it averages 18MPG and also uses a fair amount of petrol if doing stop start driving. With its 70 litre tank and 58 litre capacity that gives it a miserable 200 mile range. Most figures show LPG produces 25% less energy so 10% does not scan.

The maths no longer add up based upon 80.9 p per litre for LPG and 127.9p per litre for Petrol locally in Cornwall. Cost per 100 miles on LPG is £20.38 and on Petrol £23.67 so once you add in the start up petrol that most people leave out of their calculations and the Flashlube and extra servicing, you will never get your investment back.

I know the valve seats in the turbo engines are hardened but they will still give way eventually as confirmed by my local cylinder head remanufacturing company who have changed large numbers so Flashlube is an essential. I know that to my cost on my first conversion 3 years ago as that engine did its exhaust valves in so for the second one I was more cautious.

Great idea but buy a D5 SE (pre Particulate Filter) and get 44MPG on the same sort of use. That works out based upon £132.9p per litre at £13.70 per 100 miles so no contest. My first little diesel!!!
V70 Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 20:36   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Default LPG still a good deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70 Geoff View Post
Kim,
I have 2 Volvos converted to LPG, V70 2.5T and a T5 with 15,000 miles and 60,000 miles covered respectively since conversion. I don't know where the figures quoted come from in 2011. My 2 systems are OMVL Dream and Prinz, both multi point and both cost £1600 a pop. My V70 2.5T does a very steady 24.5 MPG on petrol with mixed local and medium distance running. On LPG it averages 18MPG and also uses a fair amount of petrol if doing stop start driving. With its 70 litre tank and 58 litre capacity that gives it a miserable 200 mile range. Most figures show LPG produces 25% less energy so 10% does not scan.

The maths no longer add up based upon 80.9 p per litre for LPG and 127.9p per litre for Petrol locally in Cornwall. Cost per 100 miles on LPG is £20.38 and on Petrol £23.67 so once you add in the start up petrol that most people leave out of their calculations and the Flashlube and extra servicing, you will never get your investment back.

I know the valve seats in the turbo engines are hardened but they will still give way eventually as confirmed by my local cylinder head remanufacturing company who have changed large numbers so Flashlube is an essential. I know that to my cost on my first conversion 3 years ago as that engine did its exhaust valves in so for the second one I was more cautious.

Great idea but buy a D5 SE (pre Particulate Filter) and get 44MPG on the same sort of use. That works out based upon £132.9p per litre at £13.70 per 100 miles so no contest. My first little diesel!!!
I beg to differ somewhat!

I've a 97 V70 2.5 auto 10v CD, now at 225,000 miles, 170,000 of them on LPG in my ownership. I get 250 to 280 miles per fill up of gas, usually between 45 and 47 litres, depending. Thats 24 to 29mpg. The price of LPG is definitely dropping again now - under 70p per litre at our nearest ASDA.

The installers said out the outset that my engine didn't need any additional lube system, and I've have to say that 170,000 miles later, they were absolutely right!

Our 98 S70, which also is a 2.5 10v auto CD, does between 400 and 450 miles per 15 gallons on petrol - that's 26 to 30 mpg.

I'm not really sure that there are any significant extra LPG service costs - spark plugs ever 10,000 miles - 5 at £1.49 each, and a gas filter every 12,000 miles - less than £20. That's it! The engine oil barely changes colour between services, so I reckon that LPG is less harmful to the engine than petrol.

When considering diesel cars, remember that these cost more to buy, and more to service than do their petrol equivalents, so to be totally fair these costs should be factored in too.

Finally, if you do a lot of stop-start motoring, rather than re-start the car every time on petrol, if the engine is warm, try holding down the LPG control button as you fire up the engine. The car will start straight away on LPG.

You do need to do your sums carefully, but LPG is good if you've a big-engined car, you do a lot of miles and you keep the car a long time.

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Feb 9th, 2011 at 20:39.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 22:43   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Does not tally right from my experiance either.

My T5 does 25MPG on petrol driving steady. On gas I've worked out that it's doing about 23 - 24MPG with a range of 400 miles per 73ltr tank full (73ltrs of LPG). Normaly with a car that is doing 25MPG on petrol I would normaly expect around 20-22 on LPG but many turbo engines do not suffer the loss as bad.

As to the cold start I've set mine to change over at 10c so normaly no more than 30 seconds running on petrol for the start up. If I wanted to I could set the system to start on LPG but for the very small amount of petrol used it is a good idea to keep some flowing through to save the system blocking up.

If you have dropped from 25MPG to 18MPG something is wrong. There is either an installation problem or the mapping is out. If you went to Dave at Cornwall Autogas go back to him and get him to have a look at it. You are more than welcome to get him to call me for advice (07824887160).

As to flashlube the vast majority of the volvo engine do not need it (only the ford messed with engines need it) and I've seen examples having covered over 200,000 miles on LPG with no issues at all.

As to fuel prices here in remote Anglesey LPG is 69p in the gas yard and the most expensive station is 81.9 but most ar mid 70's. Unleaded is typicaly 130.9 here and derv 135.9 when I last looked

I dont think it is fair to compare the T5 to an oil burner. I'd personaly compare the 2.5na with sooty

so

2.5 LPG worst case 25mpg at 75p £13.35 per 100miles
D5 44 MPG at 136p £13.75 per 100miles

even in that worst case situation you are still slightly better of with LPG over Diesel

The gap is closing between LPG end Derv and Derv engines are getting better but for many LPG is still the best answer especialy with bigger more powerfull cars.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 03:17   #10
Gareth83

V70 T5 on a 2002 plate, similar running costs to a D5 once the cost of install has been accounted for?

For me LPG is 71.9p per litre, diesel is 132.9p

So T5 on LPG @ 24mpg = 13.63p a mile or £1363 per 10,000 miles

v

D5 @ 42mpg = 14.4p a mile or £1440 per 10,000 miles

So I'd actually be better off running a T5 on LPG especially the grin factor???

Last edited by Gareth83; Feb 19th, 2011 at 03:20.
Gareth83 is offline   Reply With Quote