Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Black smoke and loss of power - turbo problem?

Views : 5987

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 01:19   #1
ifzal123

Default Black smoke and loss of power - turbo problem?

Hi All

Happy new year to all

Xc90 d5 se auto 2004 103k

A few hours ago on my way home I had just got off the motorway and was a few miles from home when I felt a judder. The xc started to rev but was not going any faster than 40mph. Felt like when your clutch gives up and can't pick up speed but rev go sky high.

A few mins later engine service light came on and I noticed all cars behind me slowing down to get more space between them and me. Then I realised the xc was smoking. Got it home in limp mode I think.

So definitely black continous cloud of smoke coming out the back when u rev it. Also you can hear a low pitch whine when reving.

Im guessing the turbo has blown. I've read nialstewarts thread posted a few months ago about reduced performance and speed resulting in a new turbo.

Any advise greatly appreciated. I'm gona get it picked up tomorrow and taken to indy. Don't wana take any risks

If it is the turbo - can it be reconditioned or is it better to buy a new one?. Can anyone recommend another oem brand other than volvo?
ifzal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 01:31   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

I'd be checking for boost leaks first.
Split pipes, disfigured intercooler etc. and generally checking everything to do with boost control.
I'm not saying that it's not the turbo but if maintained correctly, they'll last pretty much forever.
Garret make the D5 turbo and there are plenty of suppliers of those.
Always remember that Volvo don't make the parts and you'll save a fortune if you research who does make them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 11:05   #3
ifzal123

I had new intercooler fitted about 2 years ago along with a new solid metal turbo pipe. about 7000 miles ago . Parts were from dealer.

Will have a look today to see if it's anything obvious. Indy closed today so gona have to wait til tomorrow.

Thanks chesh5
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 13:32   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Black smoke is excess fuel - failing turbo's that leak oil into the engine usually cause blue or white smoke.

Most common cause would be a boost leak as has been said - if it went into limp home mode and/or put the MIL lamp on then there will be a code to be read which should reveal all. Or it could be a sticking injector, but this is less likely to put the MIL lamp on.

Doesn't sound like it will be too expensive...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 19:27   #5
ianu
Premier Member

I concur too here, check for leaks in the pipework and intercooler first. I've got a 54 plate D5 (manual) still on the same turbo at 248k.
As said, black smoke = air leak probably, blue/white = burning oil :-)

I'm on my 2nd intercooler.

Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianu For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 20:16   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Just to be clear - the reason why you get black smoke when you have a boost leak is excess fuel. When the turbo is charging under heavy throttle, it produces a lot of pressure (twice as much more than on an average petrol turbo). If there is a leak, some of this pressurised air escapes, however as it's gone through the turbo it's also gone past the airflow meter and hence the ECU thinks there is more air going into the engine then actually is - the consequence is too much diesel is injected for the amount of air.

The other thing that can cause this is a sticking EGR valve, the result is some of the boost disappears down the exhaust.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 21:24   #7
ifzal123

Smile

Many thanks to all the replies. I've got a much better idea of what may be going on. Hopefully will get it sorted.
I'm annoyed since I've spent approx £700 on servicing a few months ago hoping to keep the xc90 in good nick, then get hit with this problem.

Goes back to that recent thread about buying a lower or higher mileage vehicle. I've had loads of low and high mileage vehicles. So far it's the higher mileage vehicles that are in the lead but only by a whisker

Last edited by ifzal123; Jan 2nd, 2017 at 22:32.
The Following User Says Thank You to ifzal123 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 07:21   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifzal123 View Post
Many thanks to all the replies. I've got a much better idea of what may be going on. Hopefully will get it sorted.
I'm annoyed since I've spent approx £700 on servicing a few months ago hoping to keep the xc90 in good nick, then get hit with this problem.

Goes back to that recent thread about buying a lower or higher mileage vehicle. I've had loads of low and high mileage vehicles. So far it's the higher mileage vehicles that are in the lead but only by a whisker
I understand why it's irritating but if it is a boost leak then it may be a low cost fix and there is no reason why you should expect it to happen again.....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 11:33   #9
ifzal123

Good news. It was just a pipe that had come of from the intercooler. Indy said pipe is on order and all should be good.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 12:00   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifzal123 View Post
Good news. It was just a pipe that had come of from the intercooler. Indy said pipe is on order and all should be good.
You may be having occasions of overboost as it's strange that it should just pop off if all is well.
Overboost will find the weakest point and if you have overboost and if it continues, your now secure (and cheaply fixed) pipe could move the weak point to something more expensive like the intercooler.

When the garage tested your peak boost, what was it?
I'm assuming/hoping they've checked.....