Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 Coolant Leak

Views : 2032

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2019, 15:13   #1
philrocks

Default T5 Coolant Leak

Hey Guys,

I have a coolant leak, seems relatively minimal, in that it barely leaks when driving like a grandma, but when I start going over 2k rpm, or longer drives, it will begin to leak.

Currently the coolant will go below min after a few days driving.

Took a good look today to try to figure it out, and I cant quite locate the leak, but its coming from behind the air box / front of the engine somewhere. I didnt have the tools to get the MAF sensor off to take the air box off, though had the bumper off for a good look. Any ideas on common areas around there that can leak?

Cheers,
Phil

Previous Volvos: Volvo S40 1.9d

philrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 17:27   #2
harveys
Master Member

Lower coolant hose can wear against gear box, Radiator end tank can leak due to age.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 12:11   #3
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Very common source is that plastic T connector on rad hose.not sure if thats the same harveys referring to or not. It splits and make coolant leak and then burst out at one go when driving, very dangerous issue especially that our cars have no temp warning light.
also check waterpump - it was leaking from there on mine.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 15:19   #4
philrocks

Just an update, it was the T connector hose, £30 for a new one from Volvo, a few hours fitting it, and it all seems good.

A few things to note when doing this job, I didnt take the air box out, I just pulled it off the grommets, disconnected the wires (and the screw on the back mounting the cables in place) and tilted it to the left. I did jack the engine though, but not sure if I needed to.
I also forgot to drain the coolant when I pulled the hose >< so yeah, lots went on the floor, had to clear that up. Fortunately I had flushed the system 2 weeks ago, and have plenty of concentrate left.

Ragged the car around a bit, all seems good for now.

Old Mar 25th, 2019, 09:46   #5
Welton
Premier Member

Thanks for the update, glad you got it fixed. What's the deal with this T-piece? is it plastic and splits?

Also any tips for refilling/venting the coolant? any hidden vents at high points etc?
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 19:10   #6
philrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Thanks for the update, glad you got it fixed. What's the deal with this T-piece? is it plastic and splits?

Also any tips for refilling/venting the coolant? any hidden vents at high points etc?

This is the hose in question, the middle T is plastic, but on mine it was leaking out of the connections, so I guess the pipes are all glued to the T, and that deteriorated to the point where it started to leak. (I didnt see any splits, though cant say I looked to hard for the exact cause).

As for coolant, there is a tap on the bottom you can use to flush it out, I did this about 5 times with water till the water came out looking pretty pure, running the car for 5 mins between each cycle. And for filling, I just filled it via the coolant expansion tank. someimtes I would need to run it for a bit in order to get it to go to this pipe, as it seems it only goes to this pipe when its hot / revs over 2k? and then I would see the tank become empty, wait for it to cool, and top it up again.

Old Mar 26th, 2019, 09:00   #7
Welton
Premier Member

Cheers, I'm going to locate mine and inspect it asap.

I wonder if remapped cars bring forward this weak joint due to more heat (and pressure) being produced more often.....
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 14:17   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
I wonder if remapped cars bring forward this weak joint due to more heat (and pressure) being produced more often.....
You would hope that any excess pressure is dealt with by the pressure release designed into the expansion cap.
My guess would be that the T is just a common failure point rather than an inherent fault elsewhere in the cooling system.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 19:21   #9
philrocks

Quote:
Cheers, I'm going to locate mine and inspect it asap.

I used this site to get the airbox off, and you can see the coolant hose in the middle / right in one of the pictures. Though I didnt remove the airbox, I brought the right side out and just moved it to the left of the engine bay.

I didnt do any further disassembling other than this, two of the hose points are easy to get to from here, and one you can get to, though you cant see, so you gota fumble around (one at the back) You might want to take more stuff off for that, I didnt fancy it.

If you taking hose off, remember to drain the rad first.