Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40/V50 High Performance Audio - Adding Bluetooth or iPod

Views : 1332

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 15:52   #1
eric19371
Clueless

Default S40/V50 High Performance Audio - Adding Bluetooth or iPod

I hope I am not asking a question that has already been answered a million times before but I am looking to add either Bluetooth or an iPod adaptor to my '04 V50.

It has the high performance audio system with the 6-cd changer fitted.

I have found a GROM-MST4 but that replaces the CD changer and I don't want to do that.

I had a Connects2 universal iPod adaptor in my old Toyota Carina but that required a conventional aerial connector and the Volvo seems to be optical so that won't work either.

I am happy enough to have to tune my radio into a Bluetooth station as long as whatever I get is nicely hidden and doesn't need to be plugged into the 12v socket in the cabin. Does anybody know of any solutions?

eric19371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 23:21   #2
PaddyB

There are not many options. There's a coup!e of homebrew projects I'm aware of (threads on here and swedespeed) and Bluepower do stuff (but generally don't have a good rep for customer support).

I've got one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmitter...gateway&sr=8-1
and I'm very happy with it.

I suppose if you wanted to hide it away you could wire up another 12V plug in the glove box or behind the waterfall.

Cheers Paddy
PaddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 23:38   #3
wkel24

Look on amazon for the firefly bluetooth music receiver. £32
Absolutely perfect for the v50 centre armrest usb/phono in connection.
Works seamless with the audio in on the stereo
wkel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 12:47   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkel24 View Post
Look on amazon for the firefly bluetooth music receiver. £32
Absolutely perfect for the v50 centre armrest usb/phono in connection.
Works seamless with the audio in on the stereo
with a 04 and 05 volvos OP has, no aux-in option though so that wont work.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 13:58   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19371 View Post
I had a Connects2 universal iPod adaptor in my old Toyota Carina but that required a conventional aerial connector and the Volvo seems to be optical so that won't work either.
The Volvos use a standard FM radio receiver like everyone else, anything that generates an FM signal will work (provided you can find a free frequency in your area)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 23:38   #6
eric19371
Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyB View Post
I've got one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmitter...gateway&sr=8-1
and I'm very happy with it.
I really like the third one they do on that link you posted. I already have a two port USB adapter in the 12V socket so getting one with Bluetooth built in could be ideal and the cost is very appealing. I am worried about interference though so would prefer a hard wired solution.

Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 01:50   #7
PaddyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19371 View Post
I really like the third one they do on that link you posted. I already have a two port USB adapter in the 12V socket so getting one with Bluetooth built in could be ideal and the cost is very appealing. I am worried about interference though so would prefer a hard wired solution.
I liked that one too - but the USB cables coming out of the top put me off as they would interfere with the user interface - so I got the one with the USB on the side.

There is some interference - by some I mean if you're trained in critical listening & you go looking for it you will find it. I mostly listen to Spotify, 6Music, TalkSport & podcasts - streamed from my phone - & the only real problem I've had was in traffic when I was near someone using a similar device on the same frequency. There's the occasional ghosting but it doesn't annoy me (& I'm fussy)

Give it a go. It's cheap & if you get it from Amazon it's risk-free: if you don;t like it, return it & get a refund
PaddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaddyB For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 10:22   #8
eric19371
Clueless

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I found this previous post that has very detailed instructions on how to install an FM modulator at source (near the aerial while the signal is still analogue). While I have purchased a small FM transmitter (thanks PaddyB) and I am also going to go for the hard wired solution at some time in the future.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=211957

Tags
high performance audio