Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

loose steering wheel

Views : 21576

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:47   #1
scotto

Default loose steering wheel

hi, i have a 2004 XC90 and i have noticed the steering wheel has been loose over the past few days. I can now clearly wiggle the wheel about 10-15mm each way!
I am a mechanic myself so i think the problem is that the large nut that holds the wheel to the column has come loose.My only problem is i am not sure how to remove the airbag to get to the nut.I see there are two hole in the back of the steering wheel which must be where to unclip the airbag but does anyone know if its held on with screws or if its just a case of poking in a screw driver and popping the clips?
Thanks guys as i really need to get this fixed asap!
scotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 16:23   #2
jbell

Hi
I know the above post is three years old and no one has replied! but I have the exact same problem as Scotto. does anyone know how to fix the above problem?
jbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 17:23   #3
jtaw45

I had the same problem. I disconnected the negative lead (i think???) off the battery,then used a screwdriver to release the clips on the airbag module,these are accessed through two holes on the underside of the steering wheel,this was the trickiest thing as i it's difficult to know which way to prize the clips,once one side springs out the othersides easy.then lift the airbag to one side and you get access to the centre nut. I seem to think it was an odd size,maybe 14mm or 15 mm so amke sure you have plenty of sockets.Then when it's tightened just clip the bag back in and reconnect the battery lead. Leave it 10 mins to power everyhting up and then start the engine. Job done.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 23:04   #4
jbell

Default Loose steering wheel

Thanks jtaw45 for quick reply will give it a go at the weekend
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 18:20   #5
jbell

Having used this forum to find out information on how to replace my intercooler rad, and how to fix my loose steering wheel on my Volvo xc90. I thought I would give something back by posting how I fixed the loose steering wheel.
First I disconnected the battery and removed the upper cover on the steering column– nice and easy just clips off
Use the steering column adjustment lever to extend and lower the steering wheel to give you a little more space to work
There are two small holes located at the back of the steering wheel (need to turn wheel a quarter turn to access the holes)
Now place a smallish flat head screw driver into the hole.
What you are trying to do is release a spring loaded clip, the clip is a circular spring with part of the spring cutting through the diameter/centre of itself.
There are two bolts which are fixed to the back of the airbag/horn pad, and the two cone shaped bolts have a lug which slide inside the centre of the spring and the piece of the spring cutting through the centre latches into the corn shape blots, this is what you are trying release!
(of course you can’t see any of this, until you have removed the airbag/horn pad! )
Push screw driver in as far as pos. then push up on the screw driver handle which will lower the end of the screwdriver (like lifting a lever) hopefully this should compress the spring and release corn shape bolt. You need to be pulling on the airbag/horn pad module at the same time. Repeat with the other bolt. Lots of fiddling/ trial and error it should work!
The large nut holding the wheel in place was so loose that I could undo it with my fingers!
Worrying fault- I thought volvo’s were meant to be safe!!
I will up load some photos which I hope will help

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attach...1&d=1282410049

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attach...1&d=1282410049

in the second photo you can see the end of the screwdriver sticking out( if you zoom in) and the centre part of the spring which needs depressing.

hope this helps anyone who has the same problem (a loose steering wheel)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo 001.jpg (201.1 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg volvo 002.jpg (217.2 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg volvo 003.jpg (219.3 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by jbell; Aug 21st, 2010 at 18:21. Reason: spelling mistake
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jbell For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 08:29   #6
xcmarty

just used this method to tighten up my loose steering wheel and i can say its spot on, managed the job in about 10 mins...

as you'd expect one clip was undone almost immediatly the other took a bit of fiddling but no probs it worked.

cheers
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 13:25   #7
timh30

Been trying to track down the play I could feel in the steering. Had bought and fitted new suspension spring seats as they were a little suspect, but in the end turns out the steering wheel was loose. With so many people having the issue they must have left the factory like this - was there ever a recall, as this is surely a safety issue?

By the way, according to vadis the steering wheel nut should be torqued to 40NM.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 13:09   #8
KevinPTomlinson

Thanks for the help. My S60 had the same problem and this saved me having to incur the cost of a visit to the garage.
KevinPTomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 20:05   #9
florian1

Unhappy Airbag/steering wheel removal

Hi all.
In spite of all the help here I'm still having problems getting the airbag detached. There seem to be two torx screws on the side of the steering wheel cover that I think people are saying have to be removed before attempting to prise open the clips holding the bag in. I just can't reach them, and engage the torx 30 that the screws are supposed to be.
Am I on the3 right track? Should I bother with these two torx screws at the side, or ignore them and only try to slip the clips through the two holes at the back of the steering wheel?
florian1
florian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 12:32   #10
aTommyC

Default Removing the 3-spoke steering wheel on V70 MY07

Guys, just found the guide. Have a look here (I take no responsibility for the link, or for the contents existing or being accurate over time, and apologize for solving the case if the forum won't accept useful links. ).

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...8140-1/NOTHING
aTommyC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aTommyC For This Useful Post: