Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 LPG conversion

Views : 2139

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2008, 09:17   #1
262coupe

Default 960 LPG conversion

Can anyone please give me any feedback on any problems or indeed good experience they have had of converting their 960. I have a 3.0 with 72k miles in very good condition and well looked after that is due to be converted to LPG next week. Before I take the plunge though I would be very grateful of any experience you guys have on here.
262coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 20:18   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Default It's a gas!

Had my V70 LPG'd over 100,000 miles ago and have been very pleased with it ever since. Although the car and system might not be the same, the general principles will be the same.

I'd suggest fitting all new plugs (go for single-electrode Bosch) and be prepared to reduce the gap a bit - mine certainly runs better that way. LPG doesn't like the mutli-electrode type plugs. I use Bosch super plus and change them every 10k miles. £1.50 each from the local factors.

Also fit new rotor arm and distributor cap and new leads. LPG is not very tolerant of any deterioration in the electrics, and you'll get misfires and poor running if there are any weaknesses.

Do all of this before the conversion is done, that way when the techie sets it up on gas you'll know everything is right.

After the conversion be prepared to go back to the fitter once or twice for tweaks and checks - you can expect performance to be pretty close to petrol, so don't settle for less!

Once you're on gas, get the filter changed regularly - every 10k or so. LPG is of variable quality and can be full of c*@p, and get the pressure regulator set at the same time. It only takes 10 minutes, and should cost less than £15.

Once evrything is settled in, you should not really notice much difference between LPG and petrol - except at the pumps, where your bill will be less than half that of everyone elses!

Good luck with the conversion - I'm sure it will work out fine!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 09:24   #3
262coupe

Default 960

Hi Jack thanks a lot for the reply. Your experience is very comforting. I will do as you suggest and make sure everything is A1 before the conversion.

Simon
262coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 21:24   #4
FRUB
I wish I understood!!

Default V90 on LPG

Hi Simon,

Capt Jack has it right. Everything that you can do to make sure that it's running as well as it can before you give it to the gas man to mess about with. (and they will!) Including a new thermostate for ease of switch over as soon as up to temperature.
My '97 V90 runs really, really well on gas with seamless switch over. The only way I know it's on gas is by the light on the switch!
The only bits about the plumbing that I don't like are:
The gas warmer thingy is placed over the battery which will make replacing difficult.
The gas distributor pipes that go to each intake are secured to the coil/plug cover which again makes access a little difficult.

Having said all of that 53p a litre makes up for it big time!

Allen
FRUB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRUB For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 21:35   #5
FRUB
I wish I understood!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post

Once you're on gas, get the filter changed regularly - every 10k or so. LPG is of variable quality and can be full of c*@p, and get the pressure regulator set at the same time.

Jack
Hi Capt,

Ok, I take it that the filter and pressure regulator are part of the gas plumbing and something that they, the gas men, will sort?

Yes, I really am that dumb!

Allen
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 10:47   #6
GeoffB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRUB View Post
Hi Simon,

Capt Jack has it right. Everything that you can do to make sure that it's running as well as it can before you give it to the gas man to mess about with. (and they will!) Including a new thermostate for ease of switch over as soon as up to temperature.
My '97 V90 runs really, really well on gas with seamless switch over. The only way I know it's on gas is by the light on the switch!
The only bits about the plumbing that I don't like are:
The gas warmer thingy is placed over the battery which will make replacing difficult.
The gas distributor pipes that go to each intake are secured to the coil/plug cover which again makes access a little difficult.

Having said all of that 53p a litre makes up for it big time!
Hi!

Who manufactured the system have you fitted?

Thanks Geoff

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Oct 19th, 2008 at 16:24.
GeoffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 18:20   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Yep, The regulator and filter are part of the gas kit, and should really only be touched by the LPG fitters.

The regulator will need to be trimmed for pressure from time to time,and the filter needs to be changed. It makes sense to get both jobs done at the same time.

The kit fitted to my car is the Tartarini sequential system, fitted by Autogas 2000, Thirsk. I've done well over 100K on gas now, and it's been a great success.

Sure all the gas kit takes up a bit of space under the bonnet, but as has been said at 53p a litre - that's like getting around 60mpg - it's worth it!

One thought. Get the biggest gas tank you can reasonably fit or your fill-ups will be more frequent. Remember that a nominal 60 litre tank will only actually take 50 litres - you have to leave room for the gas to expand!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:55   #8
FRUB
I wish I understood!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
Hi!

Who manufactured the system have you fitted?

Thanks Geoff
Mine is a Longas Astral system fiited by a place in Rochdale. It's only been running for a couple of months so I can't give the same long term endorsement as Capt Jack but so far, touch wood, it's fantastic.

Allen
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 01:30   #9
M D E
Master Member

I also was running my 960 1995 3.0 Auto on LPG until the older single point fuel injection system blew the engine up.

Lesson learn't buy the best multipoint fuel injection system with seperate / standalone ECU and fuel management system. Do not cut corners, as this experience shows......
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 11:05   #10
GavinC
GavinC

MDE... what do you mean by 'blew the engine up'..??
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote