Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Launch of an all-new Volvo S40 by the end of this year"

Views : 2960

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2010, 22:01   #1
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Default "Launch of an all-new Volvo S40 by the end of this year"

Just ordered a new S40 SE Lux Premium, which should arrive beginning of Sept.

I must admit to being a little hesitant in ordering due to the uncertainty of the the S40s remaining lifespan e.g. S40 being phased out in-light of the new S60 and current C30. Dealer was unaware of any phasing out of the S40.

I have, however, just come across this news release from Volvo Malaysia, where they have stated the "launch of an all-new Volvo S40 by the end of this year"

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_New...01100/Article/

Anyone else caught any snippets of an all-new S40? If this turns out to be true I'll be pretty p**sed off having just ordered a new car that will be immediately old with a rock sinking residual value...
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 10:17   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I am very surprised by this article. Everything I have heard previously has suggested that the S40 will cease completely and Volvo will not touch that size of car again. That has been the set up for some time now.

I am not at all surprised by a a complete lack of information from your dealer. If you want any information on new models, when models will finish etc then the last place to go is the dealer. They deliberately keep you in the dark as they are only interested in selling you the cars they have available or can order at that exact moment. It is an old fashioned, and dreadful, method of selling and one that drives me nuts. The best method of discovering up to date info on models is the internet generally or forums related to that particular brand ie. this one.

With regards to the residual value of your car I am not sure it will have a significant effect. You have gone for a high spec model on a car that is solid and classically Volvo but with many modern touches and design features. It has the centre console that is uniformed throughout the Volvo range and that is key. A new S40, if one appears, will not reduce the value to a greater extent than the new S60 would in my opinion.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 10:50   #3
maleercan

I think it's a typo... they mention the All new S40 then talk about the S60 in detail and the XC90 and S80.... all under the heading of three new cars?
maleercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:08   #4
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleercan View Post
I think it's a typo... they mention the All new S40 then talk about the S60 in detail and the XC90 and S80.... all under the heading of three new cars?
maleercan, you may be onto something.

Your right, the S40 is menioned only once at the very beginning and then everything further on refers to the C30, New S60, S80 and XC90. Reading the article again, very carefully, I think they have also made another typo regards the XC90 as they state:

"Volvo Car Malaysia intends to launch the XC90, a mid-size luxury crossover sports utility vehicle". Surely they must be meaning the XC60 as the XC90 is a full-size crossover.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 21:23   #5
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Who own Volvo then, I thought the Chinese were buying them? Also I think it is correct to say they are phasing out the S40. Also if you go to Volvo website there are no new pics for the S40 when you select the s40 model but there are new shape pics for other models... might be a giveaway.
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 15:05   #6
iainmd

Geely now own Volvo, more's the pity.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 17:27   #7
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Surely they must be meaning the XC60 as the XC90 is a full-size crossover.

I don't think so as the XC60 is already on sale in Malaysia. On a trip to Kuala Lumpur in January, I saw a few.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote