Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

choosing between SE and R-Design ?

Views : 20133

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2011, 22:54   #31
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
If I understood any of that... I'd write a reply !
Hi T5 Monkey

Yes indeed you have understood by virtue of your posted response
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 10:24   #32
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
They'll look at it.. and laugh as they pull past you on the motorway sliproad

But then... your horsepower tax really sucks - does that include modified cars?

No one laughs when they try and take on my stage 3 T5 up a sliproad!
Possibly but then I'll be laughing as I cruise past them filling up their fuel tank again in the m-way services!

Last edited by stu0710; Sep 25th, 2011 at 10:28.
stu0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 10:51   #33
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
everybody, and I mean everybody, stopped to look at my car while it was in the dealer's showroom on Thursday. And then I got to drive it away
style over substance may work for some, but i have to agree with t5 monkey on this one. in my mind, there's no point in a "sporty" car, without the performance to match.

that said, i don't think you have much choice with the taxes the way they are in your country!
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 11:11   #34
DesertDog

Quote:
No one laughs when they try and take on my stage 3 T5 up a sliproad!

What did your stage 3 conversion entail, if I may ask?

His: MY2008 Shelby Cobra GT500 coupe - Torch Red
DesertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 14:48   #35
Squawker

Quote:
But then... your horsepower tax really sucks - does that include modified cars?
At the risk of drifting even further off topic.... yes, that includes modified cars. That whole area is a can of worms - if you modify or tune the engine you must, in theory, present the car for re-certification as it is no longer covered by its type designation. Assuming the authorities approve the car in its new state they should then issue a bill for the increased hp. But there is no approved test station/equipment for measuring vehicle power in Norway. The only method that is legally acceptable is to take the engine out and run it in the test lab.

There's no dealer approved option like Polestar available here. People tend to just do it themselves (Racechip, BSR etc.) Despite the authorities threatening to stop and fine offenders, in real life it doesn't happen. Could be a nasty situation if you make an insurance claim though.

The hp tax is reduced by 10% for each year of the car's life so you can tune up a 10 year old car for free... but it still needs to be re-certified.
Squawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 15:04   #36
Mrjon
Master Member

I hear they also have draconian strictly enforced speeding laws in Norway.
Looks like not a fun place to be if you like motor cars or bikes.

Note to self- Do not move to Norway.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 09:41   #37
stu0710
Master Member

Whilst doing some used car price research for my Father this week, I checked out the used value of my car (D3 Manual R-design) vs the same car in SE Lux spec on the Parkers website and was pleasantly surprised to see that the used value of the R-Design is nearly £250.00 more than the SE Lux which has a list price of £1500 more (although actually only £800 more due to deals avaiable at the time).

So it looks as though from depreciation point of view the R-Design is between £1000 and £1500 better value than the SE Lux. The SE Premium fares better still!
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 10:45   #38
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu0710 View Post
Whilst doing some used car price research for my Father this week, I checked out the used value of my car (D3 Manual R-design) vs the same car in SE Lux spec on the Parkers website and was pleasantly surprised to see that the used value of the R-Design is nearly £250.00 more than the SE Lux which has a list price of £1500 more (although actually only £800 more due to deals avaiable at the time).

So it looks as though from depreciation point of view the R-Design is between £1000 and £1500 better value than the SE Lux. The SE Premium fares better still!
Always interesting thing to check but you have to look at it from both ends. my dealer was able to give me a much better deal on the SE Lux than on the R-Design but the sums do change so I will keep an eye on them. Thanks for pointing this out.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 11:05   #39
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu0710 View Post

Hi Stu

Yes this appears correct.However What Car sees it the other way round where the SE Lux is worth around £1000 more than the R Design!

Would be interesting to see what Glass quote.

Thing is though, I think dealers simply make up the prices as they go along when it comes to PX and retailing.

What annoys me is that one generally tends to get nowhere near when trading in because the dealer says "aaahh.. its got a stone chip" , "its the wrong colour" , "hard to shift this model mate" "thats why Ive offered you lower than book".

Yet if you were buying the same car from the dealer the response is more - "its only a stone chip" "popular colour this they fly off the forecourt" "could sell this model 10 times over"

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 15:16   #40
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hi Stu

Yes this appears correct.However What Car sees it the other way round where the SE Lux is worth around £1000 more than the R Design!

Would be interesting to see what Glass quote.

Thing is though, I think dealers simply make up the prices as they go along when it comes to PX and retailing.

What annoys me is that one generally tends to get nowhere near when trading in because the dealer says "aaahh.. its got a stone chip" , "its the wrong colour" , "hard to shift this model mate" "thats why Ive offered you lower than book".

Yet if you were buying the same car from the dealer the response is more - "its only a stone chip" "popular colour this they fly off the forecourt" "could sell this model 10 times over"

Regards
You're not wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
Always interesting thing to check but you have to look at it from both ends. my dealer was able to give me a much better deal on the SE Lux than on the R-Design but the sums do change so I will keep an eye on them. Thanks for pointing this out.
Were you able to get a lower price for the SE Lux than the R-Design as even now DTD are quoting the SE Lux at £800 more than the equivalent R-Design model?