Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1st Attempt at VIDA

Views : 1166

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2021, 22:56   #1
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Default 1st Attempt at VIDA

well I finally managed to get my hands on a borrowed VIDA (one of the VCX nano things working on windows 10)

firstly apologies if literally all of this is common questions answered a hundred times elsewhere, I did look for a VIDA section but if there is one I missed it

I got a list of faults..

some i was aware of and fixed already..
--------------------------------------------
-UEM alarm signals missing (already replaced sounder)
-DDM ext temp sensor value high (already replaced both sides)
-Brake pos. sensor fault (im assuming this was why cruise has been iffy but it's been working ok since batt disconnect a few weeks ago)
-AUM loss of signal (head unit pulled and replaced with touchscreen etc.. but the steering wheel buttons work..)

some i wasn't aware of and hoping they just go away and stay gone lol
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-voltage high on window motors left and right (both work but D/S sometimes bounces)
- connection fault to DDM (again see above)
- power locking mech voltage issues ? all work fine
- door mirror signals missing PDM and DDM ? both work fine

anyway.

I cleared the faults thinking lets see what comes back. easy you'd think..

dashboard lit up like a christmas tree, check engine, check transmission, ECL light, orange triangle, ABS, the works

major panic.. disconnected battery 1hr, reconnected, seems to be ok again now

is that a common thing? there was some message about cycling the modules by turn on engine, turn off, rev, jump up and down, do the hokey cokey.. how important is that? i thought I followed intructions right but maybe i didnt..

can someone please say 'yeah I've done that dont worry' and give me a low down on what I might have missed

the only thing I can think is the engine was running when I did the clear, so to 'turn on and rev over 1500' i had to turn it off, then turn it on again, etc.. should I have been in pos2 first?

thanks

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 22:32   #2
paddy74

Nope, sorry, I can't say "don't worry". :| Something seems to be wrong, as it's not the usual behaviour. But, to give you a piece of mind, you can't make things worse, through the use of VIDA.

And yes, you should look closely and follow the instructions in VIDA. So if it says start the engine, let it run for apr. 20 seconds, than do exactly that. As a software developer myself, I can tell you one thing: writing documentation is like taking out the trash - you don't like it, you try to avoid it, but it must be done. So rule #1, if a developer takes the time to write something down, it must be important...

But back to your problem. I'd check the battery and change it if necessary or charge it properly. That would be my first step, as the "christmas tree syndrome" is in many cases related to a worn or discharged battery.

And just to note, if you afterwards make a readout with VIDA, post the complete list and the exact error codes. The numbers are important and sometimes a combination of different errors point into a specific direction.

Let us know, how you get along
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 11:07   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Thanks for replying, I will add a couple of extra notes I didnt think was relevant before..

battery replaced 6 months ago with a new Bosch one of higher amp-hour and cold crank ratings so although it's possible a fault is unlikely. Also I often sit with engine off and music on for a while (mcdonalds for example) and it always starts on the button never a moments hesistation or any indicator of low battery

Fully appreciate the importance of following instructions haha I did try but as I say the only thing different was i had the engine running and maybe should do the clearance in pos 2, then start, off, on, etc

I'm replacing my p/steering reservoir next weekend I'll give it another go then and at the same time we'll see which faults came back.

I knew you'd ask for the proper list ..dammit.. *flexes typing muscle* incoming

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 9th, 2021 at 11:21.
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 11:19   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

before clearing faults:

red light items
-----------------
CEM-1A59 comms with AUM control mod missing (head unit swapped)
CEM-E000 control mod comms fault (as above I guess)
UEM-0004 Siren comms fault (siren replaced all good now)
DDM-000D central lock motor M1 2 or 3 signal high
DDM-0025 mirror motor signal missing
DDM-004A outside temp signal high
DDM-E003 config fault
DDM-0005 power window motor M+ or - signal too low or missing
PDM-0025 mirror motor signal missing
PDM-0010 central lock motor M1 signal low or missing
PDM-E0003 config fault

orange light items
--------------------
CEM-1A52 comms with DDM signal missing
DDM-0001 power window motor M+ or - signal too high
DDM-003F control, door mirror signal too high

most of this seems to be PDM and DDM related.

temp sensors replaced both sides. when compared with new, on the voltmeter, the ohms were not massively different, but different enough I suppose

windows and mirrors work fine except the occasional drivers window bounce
note, i did disconnect the PDM and DDM to do work inside the door, and the battery was connected at the time

the only central locking issue was the petrol cap lock not working and i fixed it and it now works

not sure why brake pos. sensor isnt listed on my screen shot.. it was definitely there at one point but I had a couple of tries at clearing them and this list is after the first attempt. I guess that fault was historical anyway and now just gone. I'll know if it comes back because the cruise will stop working

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 9th, 2021 at 11:47.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 20:21   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

well, it's been a week and no faults have come back..

when i do the stalk button and fog/fog i get all 'ready's' and 'checking' . no 'sets'

no fault lights. windows and cruise all behaving themselves.. i think i can leave it alone and focus on the physical issues now

next up, new power steering reservoir and fluid change
then thermostat next week when that arrives
then put my prancing moose badge on and give it a wash

mini project - link
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 00:59   #6
paddy74

Sounds good! Give her some love, Volvos appreciate it!
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 14:14   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Put your Moose on after the wash, you don't want it to stick on dirt do you. 😎
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 14:28   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I was gonna make one little clean patch for it the hand car wash has been closed lately for obvious reasons and im only willing to do it myself so often

mini project - link
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 11:33   #9
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

quick update I had a lot more luck the next time

it was a race against the clock because I had 11% battery on my laptop lol

still i managed to connect **key in pos2 only** check faults, the ABS light did flicker briefly.. remove faults and reset the gearbox counter literally just before it died. perfect timing

I did notice (but laptop not alive long enough to take screenshot) a throttle body fault.. which worried me a little

but then it was orange not red. and i remembered the first attempt at resetting faults ended with various engine management faults which I cleared by disconecting the battery. possible it was a leftover from that weird series of events

anyway I've replaced my brake pos. sensor now (part of the reason for clearing faults) and not had any issues since

We'll see if the throttle thing comes back (literally not a single strange symptom or warning light before or since)

mini project - link
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 09:22   #10
100K+
Premier Member

Default Voodoo Blackmagic and Witchcraft

I've had a Vida/Dice setup for many years, and lament the lack of my knowledge/ability at how to operate the system to its max. My frustration is only tempered by the fact that I'm not alone. In some respects we are the blind leading the blind, picking up a fragment of information here and there. There is info out there on the web, but much of it might as well be in double Dutch. Some folks do have genuine knowledge/and ability and talk about streaming data and other wonderful sounding operations, and I sit and turn green at their skill set. The upshot is I use my set-up to reset the service indicator, to do an occasional SUM recal, and my Piece de Resistance, wind back the rear calipers on my 2015 D5. I'm supported by the fact, I believe the folks who say you can't hurt things, but I still suffer VIDA/DICE anxiousness EVERY time I switch the thing on and the ABS light flashes, ( this I've read is normal) cos to me even after all these years of operation its still voodoo, blackmagic and witchcraft.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post: