Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A few 740 bits wanted

Views : 2651

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2016, 19:45   #1
tofufi
Premier Member

Default A few 740 bits wanted

Hi Folks,

I'm after a couple of bits to tidy up my 740 a little - it's a '90 with the facelifted front end.

-LH headlight (or at least the glass) - I think these are the same as early 940?
-RH front indicator
-Luggage/boot cover (are these the same as 940?)
- Washer fluid reservoir rubber doughnut between filler neck and reservoir.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for any of those bits?

I'm not sure how the luggage cover fits, so if anyone has any photos of how it fits that'd be great

Thanks
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 20:10   #2
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

I have a 940 headlight, but since 740's went through some changes I'd need to make sure it was right. By indicator are you talking about the little side repeater? I could probably take that off my 940 as well. Have you got a picture of the 740, or does it just look like every 940 (all 940's are the same)?
Pete940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 20:22   #3
Triple-S
How Old?

A shame: I recently sold my 740 estate which I fitted the proper load-carrier from my spares-car into, and left it there even though the new owner didn't say he wanted it.
I'm not too sure but a friend with one bought the cover off ebay BUT didn't get the mountings, and the correct mounting brackets are essential. I've made many a bracket in my days but those on mine were very special, yet my friends similar-age car ('85) needed different brackets - dunno why. We tried mine and where they had to go was occupied by something else.
I'll mail him to see if he overcame the problem as my memory is a bit blank nowadays.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 22:47   #4
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm after a couple of bits to tidy up my 740 a little - it's a '90 with the facelifted front end.

-LH headlight (or at least the glass) - I think these are the same as early 940?
-RH front indicator
-Luggage/boot cover (are these the same as 940?)
- Washer fluid reservoir rubber doughnut between filler neck and reservoir.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for any of those bits?

I'm not sure how the luggage cover fits, so if anyone has any photos of how it fits that'd be great

Thanks
Facelift 740 headlamps are not the same as 940, facelift front lamps can be tricky to source. Luggage cover was an option and you need two tabs as well as the cover for it to work(fit).

Try a Volvo dealer for the lamps and doughnut.

Jon
700/900 Register Keeper VOC.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 23:23   #5
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Facelift 740 headlamps are not the same as 940, facelift front lamps can be tricky to source.
Surely it depends on which level of 740 we are talking about.....?

I thought lower spec facelift have a unique to 740 front end but higher spec facelift cars (GLT 16V, Turbo) are the same as 940.....or am I wrong...?
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 06:25   #6
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Perhaps then you should reply to the OPs question.

Jon

Last edited by Prufrock; Feb 27th, 2016 at 07:24.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 08:24   #7
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete940 View Post
I have a 940 headlight, but since 740's went through some changes I'd need to make sure it was right. By indicator are you talking about the little side repeater? I could probably take that off my 940 as well. Have you got a picture of the 740, or does it just look like every 940 (all 940's are the same)?
Thanks for the help. I suspect mine is a low spec 740. It has heated/electric mirrors (not sure if standard?), cloth trim and no a/c.
I have a pair of 940 headlamps but they have (I believe) fog lamps in them and aren't the same...

I'm afraid I'm looking for the front left indicator right next to the headlamp - I'm pretty sure these are different to the 940 ones as I tried fitting a 940 one to mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
A shame: I recently sold my 740 estate which I fitted the proper load-carrier from my spares-car into, and left it there even though the new owner didn't say he wanted it.
I'm not too sure but a friend with one bought the cover off ebay BUT didn't get the mountings, and the correct mounting brackets are essential. I've made many a bracket in my days but those on mine were very special, yet my friends similar-age car ('85) needed different brackets - dunno why. We tried mine and where they had to go was occupied by something else.
I'll mail him to see if he overcame the problem as my memory is a bit blank nowadays.

P
Doh, thanks for the help. I'll have to keep an eye out for the mounting brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Facelift 740 headlamps are not the same as 940, facelift front lamps can be tricky to source. Luggage cover was an option and you need two tabs as well as the cover for it to work(fit).

Try a Volvo dealer for the lamps and doughnut.

Jon
Thanks I don't suppose there's a part number for the doughnut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
Surely it depends on which level of 740 we are talking about.....?

I thought lower spec facelift have a unique to 740 front end but higher spec facelift cars (GLT 16V, Turbo) are the same as 940.....or am I wrong...?
Pic above

Last edited by tofufi; Feb 27th, 2016 at 08:35.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 08:43   #8
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

As I suspected it's a facelift 740 (either a GL or GLE: judging by the wheels and electric mirrors it's a GLE). No such thing as a low spec 740 really, they're all quite well equipped - and a/c is a super rare option on a UK 740.

As mentioned the facelift lamps are tricky to source, I suggest - again - you call a Volvo dealer, for the doughnut too.

Jon
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 10:02   #9
tofufi
Premier Member

Thanks

I forgot to mention, both rear mud-flaps are damaged, so I'm after a pair of those too.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 10:42   #10
MECLAYPO
VOC Member

Hi,
what parts are you after? I think I have a pair of mudflaps and also an indicator from a 1988 740.

My car becam beyond reasonable repair so it went to the breakers last month. However, I stripped all the useful bits off it and I had been collecting parts for a couple of years.

I have a luggage cover from a 940 (grey I think), also luggage guard and 7 seat conversion.

Basically a garage load of parts which I am trying to get a little for, but mostly to empty the space.

I am in Swansea so it isn't far from Bristol.
MECLAYPO is offline   Reply With Quote