Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 820951

Replies : 6255

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2020, 12:35   #101
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It does indeed Alan! Quite scary what people are prepared to pay for a non-runner though.
Well, I suppose so, but if someone wanted a donor car for a project it would be a good way of acquiring a lot of parts for not a lot of money. I'm not sure I'd want to be fitting a 225,000 mile engine or gearbox to anything else though :-)
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 14:09   #102
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well, I suppose so, but if someone wanted a donor car for a project it would be a good way of acquiring a lot of parts for not a lot of money. I'm not sure I'd want to be fitting a 225,000 mile engine or gearbox to anything else though :-)
Not without a stripdown, inspection and rebuild at least!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 08:20   #103
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Not without a stripdown, inspection and rebuild at least!
Indeed Dave, and realistically that might cost £600 (even if one did the work and found nothing serious wrong) - so perhaps it would not be a bargain after all.

It would be nice to think that someone had bought that 240 estate and would bother to re-commission it, but realistically I suspect it will end up like a few stories one hears on this forum: Volvo enthusiast buys wreck for £600 intending to do it up for £200>Volvo enthusiast finds lots of things wrong and realises wreck is going to cost £3000 to make okay>Volvo enthusiast becomes much less enthusiastic and sells to banger derby man for £80>we never hear from Volvo enthusiast again. Sound familiar?

Last edited by Othen; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 08:24. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 10:10   #104
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Indeed Dave, and realistically that might cost £600 (even if one did the work and found nothing serious wrong) - so perhaps it would not be a bargain after all.

It would be nice to think that someone had bought that 240 estate and would bother to re-commission it, but realistically I suspect it will end up like a few stories one hears on this forum: Volvo enthusiast buys wreck for £600 intending to do it up for £200>Volvo enthusiast finds lots of things wrong and realises wreck is going to cost £3000 to make okay>Volvo enthusiast becomes much less enthusiastic and sells to banger derby man for £80>we never hear from Volvo enthusiast again. Sound familiar?
Sadly that's a very familiar story whether it's a Volvo, Vauxhall, Mercedes, Ford or whatever Alan.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 06:21   #105
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
If he's not on drugs then he needs to be!
I noticed in my in-box that this chap has sent me a special, limited time offer - only £220 for his scabby Virgo wheels:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Virgo-Vol...53.m2763.l2648

... perhaps I'd better rush to buy them? ... or not I think :-)
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 06:47   #106
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I noticed in my in-box that this chap has sent me a special, limited time offer - only £220 for his scabby Virgo wheels:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Virgo-Vol...53.m2763.l2648

... perhaps I'd better rush to buy them? ... or not I think :-)
Still showing as £250 when i click that link Alan, it will show less for you because you've been sent the link, possibly because you're watching them. Short version is ebay "suggests" to the seller they give a discount to watchers to encourage a quick sale, the seller decides how much to give, taps it in and ebay does the rest.

Even with the "discount", still £200 overpriced IMHO as you may buy them and find they're all scrap and therefore only worth £5-10 each weighing them in.

Old Nov 25th, 2020, 06:53   #107
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Still showing as £250 when i click that link Alan, it will show less for you because you've been sent the link, possibly because you're watching them. Short version is ebay "suggests" to the seller they give a discount to watchers to encourage a quick sale, the seller decides how much to give, taps it in and ebay does the rest.

Even with the "discount", still £200 overpriced IMHO as you may buy them and find they're all scrap and therefore only worth £5-10 each weighing them in.
I think eBay selected me for the 'special offer' because I'd just viewed them some time in the past (I had not even saved them to my watch list) - and sent me an email with the £220 offer (I suspect they are still listed at £250 as you say).

I agree about their value, I really can't see they are worth any more than the ones I bought from Luke for £30.

Time for Bob's first walk (we are a bit late this morn, no reason, just sitting around drinking tea (me) and having a lie-in (Bob).

How did Sasha's birthday party go? :-)
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 07:08   #108
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I think eBay selected me for the 'special offer' because I'd just viewed them some time in the past (I had not even saved them to my watch list) - and sent me an email with the £220 offer (I suspect they are still listed at £250 as you say).

I agree about their value, I really can't see they are worth any more than the ones I bought from Luke for £30.

Time for Bob's first walk (we are a bit late this morn, no reason, just sitting around drinking tea (me) and having a lie-in (Bob).

How did Sasha's birthday party go? :-)
I've not figured out their logic/algorithm for sending special offers, i was thinking along the lines of because you're watching something but if you don't have them in your watch list it blows that theory out of the water.

I'm up early as i had a bad night but i think Sasha enjoyed her birthday cake thanks :

She hasn't eaten all of her special dinner (a tin of stewed steak replaced her usual tin of Sainsburys dog food) but i think maybe the birthday cake filled her up!

Old Nov 25th, 2020, 07:37   #109
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

She hasn't eaten all of her special dinner (a tin of stewed steak replaced her usual tin of Sainsburys dog food) but i think maybe the birthday cake filled her up!
What a beautiful girl she is. One of Bob's best friends (Maggie) is a Rottweiler, they are lovely dogs. Another of our dog-walking friends has just bought a Rottweiler pup, just 3 months old and another lovely girl. She is besotted with Bob :-)

PS. I don't know how the eBay algorithm works either - but clearly it does sometimes - I recall I bought the reconditioned cylinder head for the RB for only £99 via one of those special offers.
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 07:55   #110
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
What a beautiful girl she is. One of Bob's best friends (Maggie) is a Rottweiler, they are lovely dogs. Another of our dog-walking friends has just bought a Rottweiler pup, just 3 months old and another lovely girl. She is besotted with Bob :-)

PS. I don't know how the eBay algorithm works either - but clearly it does sometimes - I recall I bought the reconditioned cylinder head for the RB for only £99 via one of those special offers.
Thanks Alan, she is a lovely girl and as you say, Rottweilers are lovely dogs in general.

As for the ebay algorithm, it does work sometimes. I was watching something that started at £149 and it eventually dropped to £99, still more than i wanted to pay for it but at both these points and another random point in between when "the seller offered me a special price of £114.95" i was notified by ebay. Eventually the seller dropped the price to £50 but i didn't get the notification or i would have bitten at that point - someone else obviously my my email!

I'm hoping that a similar item comes up closer to home at a better price now!

As for things at a ridiculous price, i happened to be trawling ebay in general last night but mainly in the classics section and spotted this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-MANTA-GTE/193757739685

A few years ago only a really superb car would command that sort of price, now a basket case in need of restoration is attracting bids of this amount and more!

Linked to it more as confirmation that the world is going mad on prices than the car itself but it makes me wonder, if so many people (allegedly) want EVs, why are the prices of petrol powered classics going up so much?