Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate open.... It's not!!

Views : 787

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2021, 18:16   #1
Kevin_L

Default Tailgate open.... It's not!!

Hi....2005 V70

I've got a message up saying Tailgate Open

It's not!!

I assumed it was poor wiring going through the hinge.... It's not it seems... As the wiring all looks fine

Also the cargo area light no longer comes on

Any ideas?

Thanks
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 19:08   #2
Lerichard

It's possible the switch in the tailgate lock is faulty, so the car thinks the boot is open when it's not. The car times out the boot light after a time to preserve the battery.
Lerichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 01:36   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

You may also find that the indicators do not flash when locking, they didnt when my bonnet switch went. Im not sure if it failed to arm the alarm though. They did flash on unlocking.

As Lerichard, says, sounds like the switch is faulty.
You could try lubricating the switch or Get another unit off of eBay, they are easy to swap out
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 02:54   #4
Kevin_L

Yes I forgot to mention that the indicators don't flash on arming.... But they do on disarming

So the whole lock assembly on the bottom of the tailgate? Is that where this switch is contained within..... This elusive microswitch that I've heard of? I had previously called the dealer who had never heard of a tailgate microswitch and if it's within the lock/latch assembly that'was something close to £150 if I recall
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 03:50   #5
Bashy
Aged Member

Hence eBay
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 11:43   #6
The Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_L View Post
Hi....2005 V70

I've got a message up saying Tailgate Open

It's not!!

I assumed it was poor wiring going through the hinge.... It's not it seems... As the wiring all looks fine

Also the cargo area light no longer comes on

Any ideas?

Thanks
Hi mate

Have a read at this post in quotes mate.

Or read the link on page 2 post number 18.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273582

If your rear wiper, heated window and working like mine were this might just solve the horrid tailgate open message.

Since I did it the message has never returned.

"This is from faded memory :-
You take the boot panel off ( other side of number plate) 4 torq screws two at the bottom edge , one at each side. locate the micro switch in the boot lock activation unit. (90% sure it only has two wires - its a simple works don't work, and a volt meter will test it in 10 seconds) In my car (a 2004PRE FACELIFT) one wire from the micro switch ran back to the rear speaker pillar via the boot hinge AND changed colour wire while it did so. The other wire I was able to follow to a spade terminal earthing point at the edge of the heated rear window, which was also the earthing point for the glass breakage circuit. Wiggling this connector proved that the connection was flakey.
I scotch clipped new earth and that solved the problem ( the boot boot is non- metallic on the inner surface IIRC I used the heated rear window earth)"

Last edited by The Phoenix; Jan 9th, 2021 at 11:57.
The Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 12:21   #7
Kevin_L

Hey thanks

My wiper works fine, not so sure about the demist

I'll give this a go and report back

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin_L For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 19:58   #8
Kevin_L

Well I had a look all the wiring seems fine on a visual inspection

Couldn't find my manual/wiring diagram anywhere or a good earth point to ground my meter to, and it was cold!! So tomorrow

I took some pics....so this microswitch....is it the spring metal piece on the lock assembly? Which also has a multi plug with 3 wires going to it.... Not 2.... Unless I'm looking at the wrong plug?

And the heated rear screen seems to have 2 connections on one side and 1 on the other side

Must look harder for my wiring diagram.... Though it's only Haynes and for a pre face lift model...they don't seem to publish for 2005 onwards??
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 20:01   #9
Kevin_L

Can't seem to upload photos... Let me try again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210110-200031.jpg (100.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210110-200018.jpg (79.6 KB, 10 views)
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 17:09   #10
The Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_L View Post
Well I had a look all the wiring seems fine on a visual inspection

Couldn't find my manual/wiring diagram anywhere or a good earth point to ground my meter to, and it was cold!! So tomorrow

I took some pics....so this microswitch....is it the spring metal piece on the lock assembly? Which also has a multi plug with 3 wires going to it.... Not 2.... Unless I'm looking at the wrong plug?

And the heated rear screen seems to have 2 connections on one side and 1 on the other side

Must look harder for my wiring diagram.... Though it's only Haynes and for a pre face lift model...they don't seem to publish for 2005 onwards??
The wire you are wanting to re earth is the bottom spade connector on the passenger side of the rea window once you pop the trim off.

After using this spade connector plug a new bit of cable into it and then run it up to the high level brake light and earth it like I did.
The Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote