Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing Thermostat (2.4 petrol)

Views : 1325

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2021, 16:37   #1
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Default Changing Thermostat (2.4 petrol)

re: changing the thermostat..

Is there some reason I can't work out for why they say drain 2lts of coolant before you start? far as I can see that's just an easy way to add a massive air bubble into the system..

correct me if im wrong (quite likely) but surely if I just undo the thermostat housing and immediately hold that pipe upright, losing a minor amount of liquid in the process, I can get someone to hold it upright while I put the new 'stat in, and then reconnect it, again losing some small amount of liquid..

ok it makes a bit of a puddle but wouldn't it mean less air trapped in the system and i can just top up whatever small amount is required

probably a stupid question for reasons i haven't considered yet

also, re: the temperature sensor, how likely is that to be failed? bascially im getting a really slow warm up time. when it does get to temp it blows nice hot air, it just takes ages. and driving along it dips back below the middle so im guessing stat stuck open. The reason i suspected the sensor was that I got warmish air coming out at halfway to warm (1/4 of scale)

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 15th, 2021 at 16:40.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 17:00   #2
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
Changing the thermosat is not the "Just Job" that it seems.
You will end up cursing the pipe and the person holding it for being "in the way".
It`s just as easy to let a couple of litres out from the Rad drain tap.
Either way you burp the system by pouring the coolant SLOWLY into the expansion bottle whilst squeezing and releasing the top hose.That will remove 95% of the air. Run the engine up to temp and cool down. Top-up to finish.
Doesn`t sound like there`s anything wrong with the temp sensor. Just the Stat not closing or stuck open as you say.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 17:39   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Yeah I get what you're saying, fair enough

I suppose i'll just not be so lazy and go get the washing up bowl. sure the missus wont mind it smelling slightly of coolant no I can probably find something else

stat first then and see how it goes

better than stuck shut I guess

ta

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 15th, 2021 at 17:44.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 18:22   #4
oragex
Premier Member

As above, lookup on yotube before starting, and most likely you won't be able to undo the entire housing unless the intake manifold is out. Small mention, not tried myself but it appears the thermostat for the diesel engine will fit inside the housing of the petrol ones, at a much cheaper price than replacing the entire housing. As for draining the coolant, the reservoir needs be emptied - by all means disconnect the electrical connector for the level sensor before lifting the reservoir. You also have some fluid inside the big hose at the thermostat, so that's another lost fluid. Be sure to position the thermostat inside with the small burping pin at 12 o'clock and you need to reaseal the housing, I used Permatex for coolant systems
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 20:00   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Cheers I'll order up some sealant, good call

I always check youtube first before doing anything lol I swear if there was one for putting pants on in the morning I'd probably check I was doing it right

there's no mention of removing the manifold to do the replacement, apparently it's just the top part of the cam cover. I only need to unbolt the top half of the housing to swap the stat and put it all back together unless I've missed something along the way

have replaced various thermostats in my time I just find myself being a bit more cautious with this car a) because it was expensive and b) because it has this curious habit of chucking up faults on the DIM for seemingly unrelated systems

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 15th, 2021 at 20:13.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 21:08   #6
oragex
Premier Member

Only from 2003-UP The manifold needs to come one only when removing the entire tstat housing altogether - without splitting it open. Some people reported having tools to undo the whole housing without touching the manifold, but I don't believe everyone has them at hand. The torx bolts to split it open may be a little stuck, I like to keep down pressure on them while rotating gently

Last edited by oragex; Jan 15th, 2021 at 23:17.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 22:38   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Diesel? I'm confused.
Your 2001 will have the same plain elbow my '02 had if it's petrol. Easiest t-stat change in the world.
Housings came later on.

How many miles on your '01?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 23:16   #8
oragex
Premier Member

Well seen. I didn't notice OP had a 2001
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 23:16   #9
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
Cheers I'll order up some sealant, good call

I always check youtube first before doing anything lol I swear if there was one for putting pants on in the morning I'd probably check I was doing it right

there's no mention of removing the manifold to do the replacement, apparently it's just the top part of the cam cover. I only need to unbolt the top half of the housing to swap the stat and put it all back together unless I've missed something along the way

have replaced various thermostats in my time I just find myself being a bit more cautious with this car a) because it was expensive and b) because it has this curious habit of chucking up faults on the DIM for seemingly unrelated systems
Forget what I said. Your 2001 has a simple to replace thermostat.
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 01:14   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
How many miles
Just shy of 56k . (aka delivery mileage lol)

also.. oh good thanks for clearing that up I was a bit confused as well, it looked so easy in the video

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 16th, 2021 at 01:16.