Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radar stopped working - damaged windscreen - quoted £2,550

Views : 2600

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2021, 18:06   #1
xiantros

Default Radar stopped working - damaged windscreen - quoted £2,550

Hi all, first time poster here - would really like some advice from you all.

About two months ago the intellisafe features in my 2019 S90 stopped working (Pilot Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Collision detection/prevention etc.). Adaptive Cruise Control would just keep accelerating as it would not detect the car in front of me.
So I took it to my dealer to have it looked at, and they found small stone chips in front of the radar (image attached) and they are saying that the windscreen needs to be replaced for the issue to be fixed. For this, they are asking me to pay £2,550

Despite them saying that the windscreen needs to be an original Volvo windscreen, I went through my insurance and went to Autoglass to have a new windscreen replaced, as they offered a like for like windscreen (heated, compatible with the radar unit) and also offered to do the calibration of the ADAS system. Unfortunately when I went for my appointment, Autoglass refused to touch it as the car was showing errors saying that the radar module needs calibrating (the dealer had taken the unit off but hadn't calibrated it when they put it back). I told what happened to the technician at Autoglass and he was convinced that the dealer is lying and such a small stone chip shouldn't affect the radar functionality, and that they are trying to charge me more that what it normally costs.

So I went back to Volvo asking them to calibrate the radar as the car was displaying 'Front Radar Alignment Incomplete', and they told me what I think they would say - the windscreen needs to be replaced for them to calibrate it.

So It seems my only option is to pay them £2,550 and get the windscreen replaced. I called my insurance and explained them the situation and they are only willing to pay £50 towards the dealer costs as they are not an 'approved' garage.

Any advice on this would be appreciated as I don't really want to splash out £2,500 for this. Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AI-17-8526991-07-27-14-28-27-979.jpg (130.2 KB, 131 views)
xiantros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 18:14   #2
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Mine is a fancy HUD screen with all the same RADAR tech as yours. Yes, it is on an XC90 but prices should be in the same order of magnitude.

I had my screen replaced at a Volvo dealer, with a Volvo branded screen sourced through the dealer. Cost was roughly £1000, certainly no more than £1100.

So your dealer are either:-
a. monumentally taking the ****, or
b. are actually quoting for RADAR hardware as well as a screen and either you haven't understood or they haven't explained it properly.

But in a 2019 car you are still in warranty? So any RADAR replacement should be under warranty?

If it is just a small chip I would predict that a new screen won't fix anything and you actually have a hardware fault.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 18:21   #3
xiantros

Well they said they checked the RADAR unit and it functions properly (not sure I believe that tbh). I feel they are trying to cover the cost of the RADAR as well by trying to charge me so much. And yes, it's still under warranty. I will give them a call tomorrow and ask why it's so expensive, I guess I just need to point them to a source and tell them that it normally costs around £1,000 but not sure where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Mine is a fancy HUD screen with all the same RADAR tech as yours. Yes, it is on an XC90 but prices should be in the same order of magnitude.

I had my screen replaced at a Volvo dealer, with a Volvo branded screen sourced through the dealer. Cost was roughly £1000, certainly no more than £1100.

So your dealer are either:-
a. monumentally taking the ****, or
b. are actually quoting for RADAR hardware as well as a screen and either you haven't understood or they haven't explained it properly.

But in a 2019 car you are still in warranty? So any RADAR replacement should be under warranty?

If it is just a small chip I would predict that a new screen won't fix anything and you actually have a hardware fault.
xiantros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 18:22   #4
JamesN7

If a small stone chip in glass can stop radar from working, I think there may be a few military research agencies who'd be interested in hearing about it...

Take it to another dealer...

J
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 18:29   #5
techwatcher
Master Member

I agree with Philip and I would be asking the dealer for a detailed breakdown of that £2550...
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 18:50   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Why not ask Autoglass to just replace the screen and not to carry out any calibration, then take it to the dealer to calibrate the radar. Or take it to another windscreen replacement outfit and get a quote just to replace the screen, there are smaller independent companies that will be cheaper than the big companies.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Sep 9th, 2021 at 18:53.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 19:25   #7
TeamG
Master Member

Try taking it to a different Volvo dealer and ask them to suggest the cost of a solution?
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 20:12   #8
Washwipe

I paid just under a grand for a new screen with HUD two or three months ago.
Only issue with getting an aftermarket screen is the fault whatever it is with the Radar System, if the dealer if he can’t fix it will blame the screen.
Washwipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 09:15   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

It seems unlikely that small chips in the glass would affect the radar to that extent. It sounds more like a hardware fault that should be covered under warranty.

I'd take the car to another dealer to get a second opinion.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 09:48   #10
Rocinante
Master Member

I generally agree with the other suggestions so far.

My first thought was get a second opinion from another dealer, if possible, as others have said. The fact that it's been 'fiddled' with may prove problematic when the other dealer goes to look at it, but certainly would seem worthwhile to get a second opinion.

I also think you need to have another word with your insurer though, as their approved garage has declined the work, so they aren't actually providing you an approved garage to repair it. If they insist you use an approved garage it's really up to them to provide an approved garage that will carry out the work, rather than throwing £50 at you and telling you to go away. The drawback being if they do get someone to do it and there is something underhand going on, you may then be stuck with a blame game going on, as Washwipe stated, which is why an alternative dealer inspection may be the best initial action.

I am struggling to fathom why a dealer would be trying to get you to pay for a warranty repair though, when they should just be able to claim back from Volvo anyway. The only reason I can think of is that they damaged it, in investigating the fault. So as others have suggest a breakdown of the quote would seem in order.

You could even just phone up another dealer and ask for a quotation to replace your screen, if they say £2500, you'll need to push your insurer to provide you with a repair, if they say £1000, a call to Volvo UK (not to mention trading standards) may be in order after you ask the dealer to explain the discrepancy.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adas, calibration, radar, s90, windscreen